Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

My annual "Why I hate the NBA thread"

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by JerseyGator01, Apr 25, 2018.

1. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Watched the very end of the Cavaliers game. It was close, but it was definitely a goal tending on Lebron. I think Lebron even thought so after the game. Not to mention, the driving player was likely held in the back and possibly slapped on the wrist. I wonder if Korver reaches in if they were playing at Indiana.

Then there's the Celtics Bucks, which looked more like rugby than basketball in Milwaukee.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    It is, as are all Professional Athletic Leagues, almost completely ridiculous substitutes for Gladiators.

3. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    I think the NBA is mostly unwatchable as well. Seems crazy because of the amount of talent out there. Too much fouling. Kills me that they don't call traveling as though it is 6 year olds playing.

I was at Game 4 of the 76ers-Heat game and it was ridiculous the amount of grabbing and holding that was going on.

There should never be a 33 point swing in a half of an NBA Playoff game, especially if it isn't a 1-8 game.

That said, there is some pretty good drama at the end of some of these games. Only need to tune into the 4th quarter.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    These Pacer coaches are either in on the show to make LeBron appear to be the GOAT or are incredibly bad at coaching. How do you single team LeBron? Double him, force it to someone else. I'd much rather give Jeff Green that last shot that anyone else. If he makes it, I can live with it. But under no circumstances should LeBron touch the ball in those 3 seconds.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Ringwood, NJ
    Double off Korver and he is wide open for a jumper. You are going to leave one of the best shooters in the history of the NBA open for a game winning shot? Or force James to shoot an unnecessary three pointer with a hand in his face? James is hardly a terrific jump shooter. I am willing to roll the dice with him hitting a contested three than giving a better shooter an open look. It would be entirely different if James, say, caught the ball in the lane. But this was a tough, tough shot. You take that as a coach.

In any event, I don't understand why people hate the NBA. Seems more like they irrationally dislike certain players. The league may be painfully boring in stretches during the regular season, but the playoffs are phenomenal. The intensity of players and crowds, the increasingly chippy and physical play, the substantial adjustments each game, the extended minutes from starters and shorter rotations, the new lineups and plays coaches reserve for the postseason--it is one of my favorite stretches of the season in any sport. I mean, how could you not love the end of that Cleveland game (unless you hate Lebron)? Or that third quarter by the Rockets the other night (unless you hate Harden)? Or the Thunder's comeback last night (unless you hate Westbrook)? Or Davis and Holiday combining for 88 points to put away the higher-seeded Blazers (unless you hate the Brow)? Or the Spurs keeping that series alive in game four on the back of Manu (unless you hate Ginobli)?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017

1. double James, leave him out of the equation
    2. rotate James 2nd defender to help defense once the ball has been inbounded elsewhere
    3. settle for a contested shot by any player not named James

At no point did I suggest leaving Korver open lol. Everyone else was struggling. No one outside of James and Korver made more than 2 shots last night. Indiana should've left the game up to players who had no confidence in their shot.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. bakaduin

bakaduin VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree with you that giving Lebron that shot isn't the worst idea but the play could have been defended much better without giving Korver an open 3.

Hindsight is 20/20 of course so keep that in mind. I first want to point out that Korver sets an illegal screen on Young by literally pushing him off his course with two hands. Nobody is going to call that in the final three seconds but it is what it is and it contributed to Young stumbling. Once Young does stumble defense is much more difficult but he recovers fairly well. The problem is, Indiana had a foul to give and if they could have fouled immediately after Lebron caught the ball they would have chipped another second off the clock and made things more difficult. Bojan half-heartedly came off the inbounder toward Lebron and this IMO is the biggest breakdown in the play. He should have switched onto Lebron and doubled him (both in general and because Young was on the ground). Jeff Green having a high pressure 3 would have been preferable to Lebron having one.

Also I agree with you completely on the NBA game. I virtually ignore the games during the regular season and just keep an eye on the standings, catch ESPN clips of teams I like. Come playoff time its a whole new game. I mean come on, this game ended with Lebron turning it over and looking like a choke artist before making a key block and then draining a 3 to win it.

8. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    I just think its funny so many "fans" don't know the goaltending rule...

9. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Ringwood, NJ
    Sure, but Lue set a screen with Korver to force that decision. Not sure who was backside wing there, but I am sure had someone rotated over, that wing would have cut to the rim and you wouldn't have anyone to help down. You really can't double and contest in a three-second play like that. The only option would be to take a defender off the inbounder, which is always risky. Switch everything, but don't double, in my opinion.

10. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Ringwood, NJ
    Thanks, Zach Lowe. ;)

Seriously, I am not an advocate of fouling that position. Way too easy to get off a shot with continuation. Then you send them to the line for game winning points.

I thought the same thing about Bogdanovic. That would have been ideal, but he was probably (unnecessarily) worried about Green. He could have recovered if James passed back to Green, who would have been forced to shoot a contested three. That's best-case scenario. And maybe that's what they actually drew up, but it wasn't executed well.

11. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    Cleveland didn't have anyone else even looking for the ball if you watch the replay. James caught it exactly where he wanted it and made a very basic move to win. Bogdanovic should've seen the play develop and realize that James was taking that last shot no matter what. Instead he decided to stay committed to guarding Green.

12. bakaduin

bakaduin VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    What did Lowe say about it? I agree with you it is tricky with the fouling and only think they should have if Lebron caught the ball going away from the basket (which he did). Tough to get a shot off if not facing the basket.

13. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Ringwood, NJ
    Yes, that was the weird part to me, but I just don't think you double James on an 0ff-ball screen. Ball screen, different story.

14. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    I think the man who is guarding the inbounder was the one who should've ultimately doubled James. Cleveland likely calls timeout if Bogdanovic commits to guarding LeBron, instead he just gave a half-ass attempt to deny the pass itself. Once it's seen that the other 3 players are on the opposite side of the court not looking for the ball, that's gotta be when you double the best player on Earth.

15. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    NBA admits it was goaltending.

16. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    There's plenty to feel underwhelmed by with the NBA. The lack of team-oriented offense appears to be at an all-time high. I feel like I've never seen such poor shot selection. It's a one pass and shoot league and I find it more and more difficult to view.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. DoctorGator

DoctorGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    What is this nba of which you speak? The last such game I ever watched, or ever will watch, matched Larrh Bird vs. Magic Johnson. In their rookie year.

18. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    The good ole days...

[​IMG]

19. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    South Florida
    I usually love playoff basketball......this year, I'm having a hard time watching it. The officiating is awful and deliberate.

that being said, because it is becoming ridiculously predictable, my bookie is hating me right now.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator with bulletproof posts! Moderator VIP Member

Until the league gets back to having more than 4 good teams the playoffs will be the only thing worth watching. Hard to believe it wasn't that long ago that Orlando had the best team in the East. Just 9 years ago.