Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

My 2nd edition of my waaaay off and inaccurate Mock Class for 2022

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by bobbybaker86, Aug 8, 2021.

1. gatorntuscaloosa

gatorntuscaloosa Premium Member

Nov 23, 2012
    1, I’ve been watching the transfers just as you have. And as for OTs that have produced winning SEC play as of yet, I’m not aware of any. Here’s hoping that your take is spot on and that the staff cleans up and produces . Go Gators.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    There is more to a roster than OT. Stewart Reese is due after a bad start due to team Covid restrictions. He can play OT, OG, and now he is projected to be UF's starting center.

OL are the longest to develop insofar as player positions are concerned. I'm thinking UF is going to have a good OL as the position group is a year older and more experienced.

Staff clean up and produce? I suggest you tender your resume to Dan Mullen. In the meantime carry on as nothing I've said so far has has impacted your stonewalled position.

3. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    Agree. I think it is closer than most realize

4. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    Didn't the high school coach who took over notre dame in maybe the 80s do that. He signed like 7 5 star qbs and no offensive or defensive linemen. He had the highest rated class in history at the time. Garry Faust may have been his name.

5. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 27, 2015
    Ha, yes. I just pay attention to the generics for the most part.

6. GatorStu1

GatorStu1 Senior

May 9, 2015
    bobby;

First, thanks for posting your mock class. I personally think (hope) we have a solid shot at the majority of the players you have listed.
    As for Hawkins, it has been reported by TOS, that Andrew Irvins who heads up the recruiting service for 247 attended FNL and was incredibly impressed by both Hawkins and Burt (CB commit) during the on field competition. He stated that he wanted to be in Gainesville to personally observe both of those players because he had not seen them in action.
    To paraphrase, he stated that Hawkins was uncoverable and Burt won every single one of his 1-on-1 match-ups and both will receive HUGE bumps by their service when the next updates happen. TIFWIIW.

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  7. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    I was wondering that myself because they were becoming Reservation U, and that really hurts lining up a plan B.

8. kryptonite

Dec 12, 2008
    True. Moore rode a scholarship for a long time to never contribute significantly. McDowell looks like the same story. But we aren't the only school in that boat. OL is really hard to predict.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. 4RoswellGators

4RoswellGators All American

Apr 3, 2007
    I believe we got a good one in Barber. He was one of the last guys we offered last year and was never mentioned on the board until days before he committed.

I think it will be the same this year. A couple of kids will hit another growth spurt before their senior year or have a big year and only have offers from non P5 schools and we'll snag one or two.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. kryptonite

Dec 12, 2008
    I like him a lot too. He is definitely an effort guy, and as should go without saying, you can't teach 6'7" with long arms.

• Like Like x 3
  11. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    Yep that approach has it’s pros and cons if you aren’t a program established. Once kids you like and would take but still want to take visits drag out there recruitment, you either are caught waiting or moving on to a Plan B hoping Plan A still chooses them

12. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 27, 2015
    I understand what you are saying, but it still seems like the teams winning recruiting are the ones in the playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. gator10

gator10 GC Legend

Nov 23, 2015
    They are. High school recruiting is still as important as ever. The transfer portal can be used occasionally to fill gaps but no one fills their roster that way.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  14. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    No one is saying they can full their roster with the portal. They are saying until the rankings include transfers it's pointless to put too much weight in the class rankings. The players that signed with class that came in with Justin fields when he signed at OSU was obviously benefitted from getting a great player at the most important position. Do you not think a player like him should be counted in the rankings of off season acquisitions for their team? Same for Oklahoma with the likes of Baker Mayfield, Kyle Murray and Jalen Hurts. 2 of which were Heisman winners. With the impact on the class that they bring They have to be included in the rankings of the new acquisitions for the incoming class.

And with some of the transfers going around we've seen, just a couple players can change everything.

• Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  15. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Burrows at LSU a transfer and Heisman winner as well

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    yes and no.

17. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    yea Bama is the outlier with recruiting because they pick and choose. My old OL thread i did a comparison with our projected OL and Clemson’s projected OL and the composite rating using the starting 5 was in Clemson’s favor but not by much. Their highest rated OL was 55th in the country compared to 80th by Gouriage and their lowest was lower than our lowest rated OL coming out of HS.

But on the flipside, OU, UGA, LSU, and OSU have OL’s made up of basically 3-4 4* kids and a 5* so yea thats the other side of the coin.

i mean at this point, it is what it is with the OL recruiting and we can only hope for improvement and being able to run the ball better this year

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    Getting 3-5 guys each cycle with experience and maturity from the portal can’t be measured by recruiting rankings. Your’s is a really bad take.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. ncg8or

ncg8or GC Legend

May 28, 2007
    Indeed...over a quarter of our starters this season will be xfers:

K Jace Christmann
    OL Stewart Reese
    OL Jean Delance
    WR Justin Shorter
    DE Brenton Cox
    DT Antonio Valentino/Daquan Newkirk
    CB Jadarrius Perkins/Elijah Blades