Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Must read ... A behind the scenes look at how Florida flipped four-star Wingo

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by bhrgator, Jun 23, 2019.

1. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    Never pressured or begged kids either. Bates story about the recruiting visit of Bush is awesome and I believe exemplifies what SOS was like wrt recruiting.

2. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod Moderator VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

As I previously said....
    Let the word keep spreading about how much of a quality program Coach Mullen is running.

We'll get more quality recruits, who won't "switch hats" at the last minute, or leap into that friggin' transfer portal.
    Mullen had already shown his ability to develop his players into far better than than their "star" ratings, and as we continue to keep winning, we'll recruit the 4 & 5 star recruits who have the integrity to wear the Florida Gator Orange and Blue!

3. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    Just ask Max Emfinger.

4. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    I think Mullen's style is something we as fans can all be proud of. I think it will bring us a better bunch of kids and families. I also think it's one of the reasons we don't do well recruiting the IMG mercenaries.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    You have much to learn about karma. A small start:
    1. Karma can not always be perceived from the outside. It has much more to do with the inside.
    2. Karma is not about a single lifetime.
    3. Karma has no gender.

6. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Let's not insult future prospects, especially those already committed to UF.

George Jackson, IMG Academy, Offensive Tackle

You have no idea why young men and their families chose the IMG route.

IMHO, comments like this should be scrutinized by mods.

7. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod Moderator VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

FYI......
    The Mods are watching.....:rolleyes:

IMG produces folks of all kinds. Some have proven to be just fine, while others, well....

8. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    Try not to portray my comments as a blanket statement. It's quite the opposite.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    Love it.

"Recruiting Guy" will point to this as one of Mullen's weaknesses. Ah, gotta love "Recruiting Guy."

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. AlumofUF

AlumofUF Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    IMO people have the wrong idea about what a good salesperson does, and therefore have the wrong idea about Mullen. Ask any of the greats who retired in sales, people that give sales classes and seminars, etc. one of the most important things in building trust is not dissing your competition. You sell what you have that is mutually beneficial to your prospect and yourself. People that are good BSer's are not usually the best sales people.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. ajjaxgator

ajjaxgator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2007
    Duval
    It's clear Mrs. Wingo doesn't think so. And the process she described is high character. Sounds like PSU is classy as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. ajjaxgator

Aug 3, 2007
    Duval
    I love our approach- "We do we".
    Was it Lombardi that said something like "We don't care what you do. We do what we do. Try to stop us."

13. ajjaxgator

Aug 3, 2007
    Duval
    More BATESEY!
    His SOS is gold.

14. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    I agree and disagree. You are right about building trust, but recruiting salesmanship is different than selling in business.
    The best business sales are long-term. Plus you want your customers to keep buying, and to recommend you to others.
    Lastly, you are selling to adults, who have been buyers a long time. They know a thing or two.

Football recruiting is different. It's a one-time pitch, the "customers" are 15-17 year olds and their parents who are often not experienced in buying.
    And once they buy (or sign), it's very hard to unwind the sale.

IMO Mullen is doing it right, but the system rewards those who do it wrong. (IMO.)
    I remember Bowden used to promise all sorts of things to recruits at FSU.
    Once the recruit found out it was all a sales pitch, it was too late. He was on campus, and had to fight it out.

From my POV, Smart does the same thing. Which is why that locker room was a mess last year.
    And ours was the same way in 2010 after Meyer promised all these 5 stars the whole world, and then the reality didn't match up to the sale pitch.

15. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    Depends on the business. Those folks are typically great in a slash-and-burn sales cycle (i.e. little to no repeat business), but suck when they actually have to manage a client and tend to their needs.