Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Muschamp poses a valid question (Bianchi Commentary)

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatorjjh, May 22, 2020.

1. GatorHighlights

GatorHighlights GC Hall of Fame

Dec 11, 2009
    Yeah I mean the only way it's saf-ER is if every player and staff is tested, daily, and players and staff basically go nowhere else outside of practice/games and use the contact tracing apps and stuff.

I don't know. Nothing is truly "safe" until there's a vaccine. As a reminder, one of the biggest issues here is that even as young and relatively healthy as a lot of these guys - and college football players in general - are, you can end up with long-term and even permanent damage to your lungs post-recovery. It's not like you have it and you get over it and that's it you're just back to pre-COVID-19 normal.

"You're not social distancing. I told you to f*)@ing SOCIAL DISTANCE."

• Funny Funny x 6
  2. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    "Once we get to college football season, our goal right now is to have college football season start as planned, with fans in stands,"
    the Republican governor told Austin television station KXAN. "What we don't know is what the capacity level would be."

Texas Gov. thinks CFB to start on time, with fans

3. spincycle81

spincycle81 GC Legend

Oct 10, 2015
    As long as the first priority is the safety of the players, who don't get paid, no matter how we try to rationalize their "free degrees," I'm cool with it. Though the first priority is almost certainly making sure the money keeps coming in, let's not kid ourselves

4. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I thought the first priority was not having SWAC declare themselves national champions in the absence of a season.

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Legend

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    Let’s see. A fan over 60 flies to game.Gets a room.Meals are prepared. Sits 4 inches away from a stranger —-if not touching legs — who made a similar journey.

Lets say that happens for 7500 ppl.

Athletes are much safer

Now add 5000 who drive. Strangers next to me. Yelling sweating high fiving

much different but ol lumpy doesnt see that

6. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    As someone else mentioned, Muschamp’s only job security for another year is tied up in there not being a season. He should have been canned at the end of last season, and he damn well knows it. Another season like the last is probable, and he knows that, too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    The older coaches like Nick Saban are at tremendous Risk of catching Covid 19 from being around asymptomatic young people each day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    He'll be supervising his kids quarantine every day.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. MCB51

MCB51 GC Legend

Nov 23, 2015
    FL
    And he took a salary cut there..he should have returned some money back to UF for the horrible job he did here

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. MCB51

MCB51 GC Legend

Nov 23, 2015
    FL
    Does he have under lying health issues? Many older folk are in better shape than some youngsters...

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r All American

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    Its more than 100 people to control (imprison essentially if that's the number). Count all of the people and family involved in every aspect of having televised games for the home and visiting teams across the NCAA. I dare say you have a number that could be in six figures. This is not a simple issue and with a changing landscape and uncertainty about future risk, best-laid plans of mice and men are about all we can do.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Hey Will..1 point and 1 yard are a lot easier to manage than 30....he would get that analogy better.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    No, he wouldn’t. We know beyond all doubt he would [....] that up, analogy or not.

14. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    "If you really want maximum social distancing on the football field...just keep punting"...Will Muschamp.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Don't cross the midline

16. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Any truth to the rumor that Will tried to recruit Covid-19 but wanted to convert him to the Bird Flu?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  17. gatordelaltomaiz

gatordelaltomaiz GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    Do you have the DOIs for the JAMA studies and/or a link to the Australia study you referenced? I'd be interested in reading them. I'm not worried about young people dying of COVID-19, but do wonder about them as "silent spreaders."

18. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    I think there are multiple levels to the question posed:

1 - I don't think the question is if fan and/or players are going to get exposed to Covid-19. I don't doubt there will be some level of infection amongst players if they play. The difference is that if/when it happens, they will be able to better contain it amongst roughly 100 players. There's no telling how many people somebody could infect in a crowd coming into and leaving the stadium.

2 - When it comes to contact tracing, if/when a player tests positive, it will be much easier to identify opposing players who that individual contacted during a game and test them. There would likely be no contact tracing of fans in a stadium.

3 - Athletes are probably just about the least susceptible people to the negative effects of Covid-19, unless they have a pre-existing medical conditions. Many probably wouldn't even get sick. If you look at the fans at games (at least alumni), so many are older, and/or out-of-shape and not in the best of health.

4 - With players pretty much living and practicing mostly as a group, it should be somewhat easier to limit their exposure to Covid-19 and monitor any symptoms and minimize outbreaks.

Bottom line is that I don't think Muschamp is posing a valid question at all. I wonder what his opinion would be if USCe told him that he wouldn't get paid if there were no football season.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Thank you. I reacted with my gut reading first paragraph, thinking when did Muschamp start caring about players.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    Sorry- this was basically a cut and paste from the WSJ editorial.
    It got me so riled up because its so at odds with the larger message that we are all at risk- esp the children.