Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Mullen's Explanation of Shoe Throw

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Nicho, Dec 14, 2020.

1. Nicho

Nicho GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    “I went back to watch the play and he made the tackle,” Mullen said as the Gators turn the focus to Alabama. “Part of the football move, the kid’s shoe was in his hand and he kinda jumped and celebrated with his teammates so it’s pretty unfortunate in that situation. I don’t think there was any intent to taunt. It wasn’t like he was throwing it at their sidelines or doing any of that.”

Mullen can't be serious here, can he? I say this without exaggeration - this seems dumber than anything Muschamp or Macelwain ever said from what I remember. Mullen might have a strategy for doing so, but I fail to understand it and think giving Marco a pass will only open us up to future lapses in judgment at critical points.

Dan Mullen offers explanation for shoe-throwing penalty

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. gator_lyn

gator_lyn GC Legend

Oct 28, 2017
    How connected are the Wilson family to other HS coaches and players? Maybe Mullen didn’t wanna burn a bridge

That’s all I can think of, why he’s choosing his words carefully to address this

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Legend

Nov 19, 2014
    Hopefully more was said behind the scenes, but poster above could be on to something.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ufmc84

ufmc84 Junior

Aug 13, 2017
    Yep. Sounds like a “players coach” trying not to come down too hard on a kid for recruiting purposes. Let’s hope this is being handled differently behind closed doors. There was absolutely no team celebration in that act at all. And to phrase that like it wasn’t a taunt is intellectually dishonest. Again, hopefully we aren’t seeing what’s being done in private. If Marco starts the next game I think we’ll have our answer.

5. upstategator

upstategator All American

Nov 1, 2017
    Guys he’s not going to trash anyone in public. Especially a player. We just saw him verbally dress Grantham on the sidelines a few weeks ago and then avoid it during the press conference. It’s just not who he is and to be honest we’re not owed a behind the scenes look at what happens but I promise you Marco is catching it.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. lerxst6

lerxst6 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Naples
    He’s gotta support him publicly guys. I’m sure more is said behind the scenes.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. G8R92

G8R92 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 5, 2010
    What's to say or punish that hasn't already been inflicted? He let his entire team down. How much heavier does it get than that? Benching him would be a reprieve.

8. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    I don’t need him to trash anyone,

I want him to say something like, as coaches we need to develop players not to make these kind of mistakes. Ownership of issues and problems and work towards solutions is what I want from CDM.

The media culture will deliver more pain to Marco than the coach ever will. If Marco is a good worker, he will be harder on himself than anyone. If he is an entitled showboater then none of it will matter.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. jcmiller910

jcmiller910 Premium Member

Sep 18, 2019
    Yes, Dan Mullen needs to own it and stop deflecting. The kid made a huge mistake and that's what should be said. Not deflect it as Idk if it was a penalty. Even if he just spikes it down it probably isn't called but homie threw it 20 yards!!! Man up Dan!!

10. orangebluegator

orangebluegator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I would not expect nor want him to trash his own player in the media. However, this explanation is an insult to the listeners' intelligence.

Marco has been showboating and chest thumping quite a bit, despite being toasted for the past 2 years. I can't understand why he's seeing significant playing time if he's going to get cooked as much as any DB we throw out there.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. FusionGator

FusionGator Senior

Nov 15, 2015
    No intent to taunt? Maybe coach should watch the video again or just look at the picture circulating everywhere.

In addition to the shoe throw, we have a player standing over the LSU player in a taunting way and we have another player taunting the LSU sideline.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    IMO, Mullen has a problem with using his mouth in a not-very helpful way. I think he tries to either make light of a situation at the moment or tries to hide his real feelings. Either way, call it his rendition of "coach-speak". There was only one Spurrier when it comes to giving an unvarnished reply.

I am less worried...unless I do not see changes next season in culture (call it Mac stench) and coaches/philosophy. Time for him to be "THE man".

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. geogator2018

geogator2018 Freshman

Dec 13, 2020
    “The greatest motivator in the world is your ass on the bench.” ——Bobby knight.

I know knight is old-school, but does anybody actually think these kids care about anything but their playing time? I can assure you the only thing Marco cares about is his exposure - kids today don’t care about being yelled at, letting their team down, or other people in general. But leave him in G-ville this week and maybe he plays better next year.

Seems to work at Bama.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. NUM1GATRFN

NUM1GATRFN GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Acworth, Georgia
    My problem is, the refs did not call it evenly as far as unsportsmanlike conduct - that obvious taunting by the LSU DB on the pick 6 - directed right at Trask right before crossing the goal line - went unflagged - and nothing mentioned at all by commentators or anyone else. But they turn around and flag the home team for an unsportsmanlike issue

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. Taxg8r00

Taxg8r00 GC Legend

Apr 16, 2007
    Tampa
    I don’t have a problem with it. Coaches need to keep a United front with their players. What was said behind closed doors is the team’s business. We were all young and made bad decisions. He didn’t hit a woman or steal property. He made a mistake on the field. Did it contribute to the loss, yes, but this team should have never been in this position.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    True. Here's an article unrelated to the game about the subject and I think somebody needs to be reprimanded on it:

College Football's New Taunting Rule Clarification.

The example they provide was the actual play that occurred and the refs never tossed a flag which would have nullified the TD but LSU would still have the ball deep on our side 1st and 10. No way to know at the time if they would have eventually scored on it but it would have set the tone with LSU to stop the taunts because you can bet next year in their house the players will return the favor.

17. 32250Gator

32250Gator GC Hall of Fame

Jan 4, 2013
    Praise publicly, scold privately. I’m OK with CDM taking this approach as long as he disciplined Marco privately and used it as a learning opportunity for the team. Slamming the kid in public isn’t going to undue what occurred.

18. partdopy

partdopy All American

Feb 1, 2012
    Seems like a pretty good response from a coach. What you want him to say, something like 'the kid is a moron and will be benched'? That definitely wouldn't be very professional. You discipline in private.

19. Nicho

Nicho GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    There is a happy medium between publicly shaming Marco and acting like there was nothing wrong with the act, as he is doing by calling it a football move.

Calling it a football move implies that the refs were at fault for throwing the flag. That's patently absurd. All he had to do was call it a mistake. That at least sends the right message without destroying Marco in the process.

I'm shocked at how many posters are defending this poor choice of words.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    Or that there really is no benefit to publicly throwing your players under the bus. Maybe collectively - under certain circumstances - but never individually.

• Winner Winner x 1