Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Mullen won’t commit to starter for poodle game

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by twodaparty, Oct 20, 2021.

1. gatordee

gatordee GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2007
    orlando
    And some think we are holding UG at Bay with this? It's not like comparing two totally different style qbs. Their game plan will basically be the same. The ONLY reason I want to I owe is so I can look forward to the game. Some fans feel they have to be politically correct on here RATHER than wearing their thoughts/emotions on their sleeve. Isn't that what makes being a fan a fan? We pay to be fans.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    yes- I agree AR is better.
    What I am saying is... this isn’t like preparing for Freshman Tim Tebow versus Senior Chris Leak. Both Jones and AR will run the same offense... one just better than the other.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. benheb

benheb GC Hall of Fame

Feb 2, 2011
    Colorado Springs
    He doesn't have to but why not? It might take some of the heat off him. My argument was it doesn't really change anything with regard to tipping his hand and he may soften the perception of him being a stubborn ass. I'm a Mullen supporter, a worried one, and at this point he could do a little PR for himself.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. benheb

benheb GC Hall of Fame

Feb 2, 2011
    Colorado Springs
    I don't think so - maybe. It seems AR can see the field better than EJ and is more decisive - both are good runners. Regardless it seems UF will need to accept calling plays that are higher risk than usual with either QB.

5. robertgator

robertgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    TD had thrown 4 picks and Danny had thrown 3. SOS didn’t know who he should put in and danny told him we can still win (w/ one minute left, down 4). So he put in Danny. Slow methodical drive (relatively) down the field and then a big throw to doering!

7 ints!! https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.kentucky.com/news/databases/article43969803.html

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. robertgator

robertgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Also, who cares what Mullen says on the issue? If AR doesn’t play a ton everyone’s going to be pissed, but what he says now doesn’t matter much.

mullen will take care of the offense; but generally that ain’t our problem.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Mullen can’t possibly be making decisions on a huge game because of “perceptions “ from a fan base???

Y’all are beyond crazy

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    The way defenses have been playing them is different. Multiple teams have shown they respect AR's vertical passing more than EJ and have adjusted their defenses accordingly.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. benheb

benheb GC Hall of Fame

Feb 2, 2011
    Colorado Springs
    It ain't really a decision. Ya don't get it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    Mullen made a comment that worries me. In his post game comment on why he rode AR in the 2nd half, he said something to the effect that AR got "hot" and decided to stay with him.
    I worry that he views AR' s performance as more of aberration and not view it as him just being better.
    Hopefully it was just coach speak to not denigrate one Qb's performance over the other and not him thinking what we saw was just an anomaly.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 26, 2017
    Obvious coachspeak. Mullen often points out areas for improvement with the guys the fans are hyping that day and props up the guys the fans are trashing that day. Means nothing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    But it's two of how many? I don't think a bad start is a good thing. But if CDM still believe he has to start EJ, so be it.

13. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I don't know what you mean. But to put it another way, we would probably feel lucky if EJ were to only play two series.

• Like Like x 1
  14. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    Mullen clearly favored Jones, so much so that I would suggest that taking Jones out after a bad play shows that a change has already happened.

Like many of us, I was always counting series, waiting for the third one to see AR. If Jones threw a pick to end the second series, AR never came in. A bad play didn’t cause Mullen to put in AR over Jones. In fact, it did the opposite, causing Mullen to put in Jones over AR. I don’t think it is crazy. Mullen may have just wanted to Jones to know that he’s safely the starter, believing that if Jones would play less well if thought he could lose the job over any single play.

But, regardless of whether my rationale is sensible, Mullen is clearly not adhering to that approach anymore. Even if Jones is still the “starter”, which I doubt, AR will replace him as soon as he plays poorly. If AR is the starter, Dan may even start to give him the favorable treatment described above to minimize the pressure he feels.

• Like Like x 1
  15. 1955Gator

1955Gator Sophomore

Sep 6, 2007
    Tampa
    UGA doesn't care who starts. They will destroy the UF offense line. So does it really matter?

• Come On Man Come On Man x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. farfugnugen

farfugnugen Junior

Nov 22, 2013
    If EJ starts the game, I may turn off the tv. 99.9% of people watching the LSU game could tell who gives us the best chance to win the game. If Mullen can’t, he’s a moron and will never achieve anything significant here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    It will be merciless and totally unfair for EJ.

18. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    You will be missed

In all kinds of weather my arse

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  19. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 26, 2017
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Part of me tonight it’d have been funny if Kirby said both Jt and Stetson would play just to troll Dan

• Funny Funny x 1