Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Mullen won’t commit to starter for poodle game

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by twodaparty, Oct 20, 2021.

1. DomiGator

DomiGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Unfortunately, Mullen already lost credibility with the Gator Nation and the college football world alread see true Dan, just read the national media. That being said, most people agree Dan still can repair things IF... That's a big "IF", looking at Dan's history, that IF probably won't happen or at least not enough changes are going to be made. However, there is still a chance.

AR can buy him another year or two. If AR transfers, 99% of Gator Nation WILL NEVER forgive him.

2. robertgator

robertgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    ej almost threw a pick on a follow up play to the awesome 3rd down conversion then he came out for good.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  3. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    It's a shame, but EJ should probably be further along at this stage. Just not consistent in prime time with a lag-factor being his biggest liability. The kid is a baller. Maybe he needs more time? Reaction speed and responsiveness is that teachable? Maybe it's an intrinsic trait?

Anyway-on the other side is a QB with a huge upside. His athleticism is pretty surreal. His instincts are decent, but he is green and is doing the silly things young QB's do.

Mullen will play them both. They are learning on the job. We have no choice. EJ sometimes looks scared. AR sometimes looks nervous.

I like them both but I would keep people guessing and then play for the future. Consequently, that offers up only one choice.

Go Gators.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

So Mullen should tip his hand why?

5. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Go away

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. DomiGator

DomiGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It's so painful to be wrong, isn't it?

LOL

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. gator10

gator10 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2015
    Skink, why don’t you post something that has a thought behind it occasionally instead of telling other posters that do to ‘go away’?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. steveGator52

steveGator52 GC Hall of Fame

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    EJ almost threw another pick 6 where he threw late over the middle and the DB broke on the ball and almost picked it. Dan put AR back in after that play.

So I am not sure I trust Mullen when picking between AR and EJ. It seems like EJ has to lose the job completely while AR has to play perfect in order to see the field. It’s such a screwed up dynamic.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. prisch1

prisch1 Sophomore

Apr 3, 2007
    He's starting Richardson. UGA knows it, but he thinks he's being coy by saying he doesn't know.

But if he starts EJ, we better win, because if not the majority of the fanbase is out.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  10. WindoverG8tr

WindoverG8tr GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    To be more complete , Top billin also was emphatic that Ar is way way better.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    I’m not sure there’s a benefit in naming the starter, but I don’t necessarily agree that Georgia is somehow hampered by not knowing. They seem to have a very similar skill set, AR just does it better. At least from my vantage point.

But would a Defense really prepare differently for one starting over the other... Especially knowing that both will ultimately play?

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    Other team wastes energy worrying about. Kirby trying to one up us by creating his own QB controversy. Lol

13. steveGator52

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    And Top Billin also said in previous weeks that EJ was much better. EJ looked like EJ, he played the same way he had played in previous weeks. Same late throws, same everything. The difference has been the lack of a running game.

Teams have been stacking the box and forcing EJ to throw, and outside of certain throws and routes, EJ can’t consistently get the ball out on time.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. steveGator52

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    Strongly disagree. Watch the YouTube breakdowns by GFPC. AR is light years ahead of EJ as a passer. He consistently made the right choice on who to pass to, and he made that choice quickly. That is the difference between AR and EJ.

And regarding AR’s two picks, those were due to the OL whiffing blocks and trying to make something from nothing. He chose the right/best receiver on both plays, he just couldn’t get the ball there due to pressure.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. WindoverG8tr

WindoverG8tr GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Top Billin said EJ was much better than AR? I don't watch every week but that surprises me

16. steveGator52

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    He has been pimping EJ as being the best shot at wins and trust the coach. Now that AR finally got a “fair” chance to show what he could do, I don’t care if he jumps on the bandwagon now. I just don’t like his videos, as they are mostly flash and entertainment.

The GFPC guy has been pro-AR since the 2nd game of the year. He does a great job of breaking down almost the entire game and showing the play and all the options. It’s the difference between hype/highlight videos and game analysis.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF

18. gator10

gator10 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2015
    I agree…GFPC is excellent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. DawgFanFromAlabam

DawgFanFromAlabam GC Hall of Fame

Apr 18, 2007
    They’re both DT QBs. Not like you have to prepare for a possible running QB (Bennett) as opposed to a pure pocket passer (JTD). Honest question - does the play calling change that drastically between EJ and AR?

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. The_RH_Factor

The_RH_Factor GC Hall of Fame

Aug 11, 2010
    Play one quarterback until he throws a pick, then play the other quarterback until he throws a pick.

After awhile, they’ll get the idea and stop throwing so many picks.

Is this what Spurrier did with Dean and Wuerffel in the Kentucky game?