Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Mullen won’t commit to starter for poodle game

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by twodaparty, Oct 20, 2021.

1. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    Put them both on the field at the same time. One in the shotgun, the other right beside him. Options, "HB" passes, decoys, you name it.

I'm going to email my resume to Mullen. I'm looking to earn around $1,300,000/yr.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. Tito22

Tito22 GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    Exactly. EJ has started all year and now it's "not committing to a starting QB." I think AR15 is the starter. EJ might still get some burn though.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  3. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    I have no doubt that Jones will start. Mullen said Jones's 3rd down conversion in the 2nd half was the play of the game. The TD to end the 2nd quarter was a better play.

• Like Like x 1
  4. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    Mullen's play-calling is going to be critical here. If you watched "Top Billin' he thinks 'Mullen the Hacker' is an offensive genius. So as long as he sets up the boys to succeed hopefully they will. I assume they'll both play and one would hope AR has a dominant role in the win!

I personally think the Gators were looking ahead and got ass-bit by LSU, being unprepared on the defensive side. That would make sense. Grantham, void of the skillset to make adjustments on the fly handed it over to a pretty horrific LSU team. Then again, four picks will screw up pretty much anyone.

I remember hearing about Tebow and the laptop snatcher playing at the same time. There has been some foreshadowing about EJ and AR in at the same time. I wouldn't hold my breath. But I'm concerned about Whittemore-I hope his ankle is ok, that dude is $. Catching, blocking and passing.

Tilly called it. Gators in a route. Actually, he didn't use that actual phraseology, but he was bullish on the potential for a Gator win. Don't hate that line of thinking. Spread the word. HA!

Go Gators:)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah I don't want to bash EJ. Hes a fine QB that will have a solid season at QB at a lower P5 or G5 school next year. That is something to be proud of. He is a great Gator.

AR will be the highest drafted QB in the history of our program. he has legit 1OA chance. He is a superstar. You simply do not get his running ability + his passing ability in the same package.

If we had a college football 'draft' to build the best teams for 2022 AR would probably go #2 behind Caleb Williams at OU (who is also a superstar who OU will get to start for 3 freaking years).

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. mkfgator

mkfgator GC Legend

Aug 28, 2019
    I want AR to start and play most if not all the game, and I love Emory. I also think he's been a great Gator. As to when Mullen announces it, I could care less as long as he makes the right choice in the end.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Montanagator

Montanagator GC Legend

Dec 13, 2009
    Kirby says...and your precious little pretty, too. Tell me the dawgs aren't championing at the bit to beat us down another year. They've already cleared space in the trophy cabinet.

8. stevethegator

stevethegator Freshman

Oct 16, 2021
    would love to see some creative offense/trickery using all the talent we have available on the field at once, if there ever was a time for Mullen to pull out all the stops on that stuff, it’s next weekend for sure

9. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree, by not saying that EJ is starting is code for AR15 is starting. I think he will roll w/ AR15 for the entire first half and see where we are.

Let's Go Anthony!!

• Like Like x 1
  10. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm willing to live with CDM's flaws - he has some positives too. I need to see evidence that he is willing to make some hard decisions to move the program forward. AR is one and TG is the other for now.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    If Emory starts and TG is still calling the prevent defense, Dan will lose credibility with the Gator Nation and the college football world will see true Dan. His career as a HC at a top D1 school will be history. Scott Strickland will be complicit. We lose big in the Georgia game, I’m for taking out Scott, Dan and TG. Why, because it won’t get better watching film, this requires people that have common sense to make hard decisions for your biggest revenue source, just like taking out Ed Orgeron. Staying quiet by the football program is like congress putting pork in every bill and calling it something else completely. The truthfulness of these types of people is to just take the money, then shove it down our throats. Do any of the big money donors even care? Dan’s career will never be elite, he won’t care due to buyouts. Thanks Scott, you have put the Gator football program back at least four years, sad.

12. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    I wouldn’t worry about reactions. Learn to fry more bacon.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  13. gatorich

gatorich GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Pensacola, FL
    I’m not sure if Mullen all of a sudden got creative with the play calling or if AR15 just executed them better but something definitely changed when he came in!

• Like Like x 1
  14. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    I wouldn’t be so sure. Mullen didn’t even leave Jones in for the rest of that series, despite that AR clearly injured his hand.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Mullen can definitely scheme. EJ just hasn’t been able to take advantage of it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Sends a bad message

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Your point? Have you checked out along with Dan?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. benheb

benheb GC Hall of Fame

Feb 2, 2011
    Colorado Springs
    UGA has to be preparing for both QBs. Regardless of what Mullen says, they have to be weighing preparation towards seeing AR getting the majority of snaps but with QBs sharing series. It may not play out that way with Mullen adjusting depending on how the game progresses but if you were a UGA coach, what other assumption could you make? They would assume this regardless of what Mullen says in my opinion.

19. benheb

benheb GC Hall of Fame

Feb 2, 2011
    Colorado Springs
    Those seem like no-brainer decisions. He HAS to get rid of TG and he HAS to significantly increase AR's playing time if not simply state he is the starter. I can't imagine him not doing these two things unless he is intent on ending his credibility as a coach at any level and starting a fan feeding frenzy that won't end unless there is perfection on the field from here on out. A lot of gators are going to turn their TVs off if EJ trots out there on the first series.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    Why tip your hand with Georgia ??????
    WHY