Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Mullen says there are arguments ‘on both sides’ for future of Florida-Georgia

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatorjjh, Jul 18, 2019.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Mullen says there are arguments ‘on both sides’ for future of Florida-Georgia
    By Garry Smits, GateHouse Florida
    JACKSONVILLE — Coaches keep throwing shade on the future of the Florida-Georgia game in Jacksonville.
    Two months after Bulldogs coach Kirby Smart made the most recent of several public complaints that having a neutral site game every year in Jacksonville hurts his recruiting, Gators coach Dan Mullen chimed in on Monday at SEC Media Days with the opinion that “you can make an argument either way” about whether the game should remain in Jacksonville — where it has been for 85 years — or be taken to the respective home stadiums of each school, or to another neutral site such as Atlanta.

I think you can make arguments on both sides of why it should stay in Jacksonville, why it should leave Jacksonville and be a home-and-home,” he went on, speaking at a Hoover, Ala., hotel. “It think it will be an interesting discussion the next couple of years of when the contract runs up of what the future is going to be for that game.”
    The Florida-Georgia game was first played in Jacksonville in 1933 and has been there every year except 1943 (because of World War II) and in 1994 and 1995, when it was played in Gainesville and Athens, Ga., because of renovations to the stadium for the Jaguars entry into the NFL.

Mullen says there are arguments ‘on both sides’ for future of Florida-Georgia - GatorSports.com

2. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Too bad. I imagine that means the idea is being kicked around on the UF side as well.

Home, home, Jax, Jax might be fun, but it doesn't really help the recruiting angle that Kirbs is pimpin'.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. nobbqsauce

nobbqsauce All American

Nov 21, 2018
    I know it's not tradition, but I prefer home and home.

4. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Probably inevitable given the trends in attendance and new modes of consumption of CFB overall.

5. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I'm biased but I always thought the WLOCP
    was the best neutral site venue game of the year in college football. I'm sure Ok and Texas fans would disagree but I just love it.

Having experienced the "run Lindsey run" fiasco in 1980 it has been sooo nice kicking the mangy mutts down the last three decades.

Jax, on the Saint Johns, by the Riverwalk. 1/2 Gators 1/2 dogs...…….love it.

Always at the top of my list for games to make.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2014
    6 Mile Creek, Florida
    "run Herschel run"?

7. ugahairydawgs

ugahairydawgs All American

Apr 9, 2007

8. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I hate you Hairy!!!! and Larry Munson!!!
    LOL just kidding.

Freakin Munson used to call Gator fans: "Those People" or "Them People" - used to crack me up.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    But back on topic, I will make a confession.
    Every time I go to the game I would always go to the UGA side for an hour or so to mix it up the Georgia folks before the game.

Provided one was not obnoxious and reasonably friendly UGA fans were fun to hang with and talk football. Of course I would make wide swings around the drunks and Frat boys but usually it was fun having a little rivalry talk with the UGA folks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Hairy - My favorite Munson:

UF was playing UT in 96 in Knox.
    Munson was doing a brief analysis of the Saturday SEC games.

Well at halftime Munson is on and smeone reports the UF/UT score - 35 - 6 at halftime.

Munson goes: What? That can't be right.....
    will someone check that score?

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Yeah - sorry Skink - run Lindsey run.
    Synaptic Connections are breaking down my friend!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. ugahairydawgs

ugahairydawgs All American

Apr 9, 2007
    Larry Munson was a national treasure. Guys like him, the unabashed homer that can just paint a picture with his words over the radio, don't exist anymore in modern college football and that's pretty sad. There are still homers, but most of them just spend their time yelling or trying to throw in catch phrases they come up with where ever possible.

• Winner Winner x 2
  13. The_RH_Factor

The_RH_Factor GC Legend

Aug 11, 2010
    If having the game in Jacksonville hurts Georgia’s recruiting, why would we agree to move it?

Their recruiting seems to be doing ok as it is now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. FusionGator

FusionGator Sophomore

Nov 15, 2015
    The money is far too lucrative for both schools every year for it to be moved.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    don't forget Otis Boggs and his his 'its a high end over end spiral punt from Bobby Joe Green'

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    I hope they always keep it in Jacksonville. Like Texas-Oklahoma in Dallas, it keeps it special, something rarely seen in college football

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    amen!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    Completely agree. Munson was gold. I happened to be listening when UGA beat Auburn in 82 to win the SEC.
    There was some drama, and UGA had to make a defensive stand.
    'Hunker down, silver britches. Hunker down." After every play he got more animated as he cheered the D.
    Then the clock ran out, UGA won, and won the SEC.
    Munson "It's raining sugar out of the sky."

I don't think anyone was like him- even back then.

19. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I agree 100%. I loved going to Jacksonville for the games. Neutral field against a rival. Very unique feel.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Been a season ticket holder for 35 years. TBH, the qty of tickets that I get for the WLOCP is the reason I stayed through muschamp and mcelwain.

If it goes to home and home, I might have to start watching all games from the comfort of home on my new equipment purchased with the $3500 I don’t spend on renewing season tickets.