Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Mullen rattled by Kobe’s copter crash (Thompson/Sentinel)

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatorjjh, Feb 6, 2020.

1. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    Re: choppers, once while in Maui years ago we were in one of those tour choppers and the freaking pilot got so close to the waterfall, then a burst of wind came along and we almost hit the blades into the rock cliff. Might of been kuai, come to think of it. No more choppers for me!

I once did Air Combat USA out here in Cal. They take you out in an Italian Marchetti. Single engine high performance trainer, side by side seating with a stick. Pre-flight run-through, then you go out over Catalina Island and do dog fights. The wild thing is they let you fly the plane whether or not you're a pilot. You get about a mile apart and then head towards each other (half a mile apart (staggered) as to avoid head on collisions, and then you yank the stick back and try and get behind the other plane to shoot it down. There was a microwave type system on it so if you actually got the other plane in your sights (circle with an "X") while pushing the machine gun button smoke would come out of the other plane. Wild chit, man. Barrel rolls, loops...'bout blew chunks. They said non pilots often did better because they didn't care about the horizon like 'real' pilots did. The only thing was there was a threshold between the performance limits of the plane and what you wanted to do. In other words, you'd get in the buffet if you yanked too hard on the stick. You had to ease up so it would be more responsive. We wore parachutes in the even of an accident.

Shame a bout Kobe.:(

Go Gators;)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I will drive 4 times that to avoid it. Commercial plane or bust!

3. gatordee

gatordee GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2007
    orlando
    Being Air Assault quality while in the infantry, you have to have so much faith in the pilot. I should have been dead twice do to ignorance. The worst is jumping/ repelling at nite. The reason, you would not know if there was a problem or the pilot was making a mistake. We always flew map of the earth. Following the terrain just over the trees, mountains hill etc. So one mistake.. .. But I will take my chances with that than floating down in a parachute. Lol. God bless Kobe and family. I just hope they did not know it was about to end and that's what I believe.

• Like Like x 1
  4. BillyBall89

BillyBall89 GC Legend

Nov 7, 2014
    Capital of Gator Nation
    I watched a preliminary video on the crash which was a real time simulation of events overlayed with ATC radio traffic.

The helicopter right before the crash was requesting some kind of radar based guidance, I forget the exact name, from an airport near LAX after flying VFR for several miles after leaving Mamba Sports Academy. ATC advised that the helicopter was too low for this kind of guidance. The last appearance of the chopper on radar showed a steep climb, likely to gain altitude to gain the radar based guidance from ATC. The only thing I can think is there was a mechanical failure during this ascent. This would also explain why the pilot wasn't able to use autorotation (Landing under no power) to bring the helicopter down safely.

5. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Initial reports reveal the helicopter didn't have engine failure.
    Kobe Bryant helicopter crash: Engine didn't fail - preliminary report

Maybe another part of the aircraft failed, but we won't get the full report for another year. I've been thinking that maybe the pilot had a sudden medical emergency.

6. LTG61

LTG61 All American

Apr 10, 2007
    As a professional helicopter pilot, with accident investigation training and experience to boot, I've got a strong suspician about happened, based on the radio calls and the aircraft's flight path. I won't speculate publicly. But, I'll be very surprised if mechanical failure of any sort existed.

7. BillyBall89

BillyBall89 GC Legend

Nov 7, 2014
    Capital of Gator Nation
    I mean...I could have told ya that. If it was just engine failure, the pilot could have used autorotation to set the helicopter down safely. My bet is something in the mechanism that rotates the blades failed, and if it the failure resulted in a jam of some kind, that would prevent autorotation from being used to land the helicopter.

8. BillyBall89

BillyBall89 GC Legend

Nov 7, 2014
    Capital of Gator Nation
    For those who don't know what autorotation is, here's a video. Every commercial helicopter pilot in the United States I believe is required to make an autorotation landing under zero or little power.

Its basically where you use the descent of the helicopter to spin the rotors to regain enough control to land the helicopter safely without the engines powering the rotors.

9. hawaiigator

hawaiigator All American

Sep 9, 2018
    Truth, when I was stationed in NY I responded to 2 helo’s in separate incidents crashing into the East River on clear days, no wind or anything...sometimes ish happens

10. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Where were you stationed??? ( I was in Engine 23, the "Lion's Den", Columbus Circle...W. 58th St) for a while...

Also...downtown...it could be clear skies, but the right gusts of wind tunneling through the Wall St, lower east river heliports could suddenly wreak some havoc.

11. hawaiigator

hawaiigator All American

Sep 9, 2018
    Just outside of Queens, not a firefighter though

12. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Are you talking about the Valley Stream atea, ot the North shore...and what did ya' do?? ....police???, .N?TSB??

13. hawaiigator

hawaiigator All American

Sep 9, 2018
    51ADF199-B6F3-4C2D-A1AE-A9CEF532D252.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  14. FatherGoat

FatherGoat GC Hall of Fame

Apr 18, 2007
    Absolutely man. I won't even get on a modern jet either. One strip search by the TSA was enough. I'm all B.A. Baracus now. "I ain't getting on no airplane, fool!"

15. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Even the best military FLIRS and TV systems have their limits in smoke, fog, and dust/sand. Army Night Vision labs has been struggling with this for years. Fused sensors with TV, mid and long wave F L IRS handle it well in the lab and test bed but producing them is extremely expensive.

This aircraft, if it did have one was probably equipped with run of the mill commercial system.

Hard to give Kobe a full pass without knowing. If this guy was as good as they say be would have known better than anyone not to fly over that terrain in those conditions.

16. WhattaGator

I just don't know why ANYONE would fly iinto that terrain under those conditions.