Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Mullen rattled by Kobe’s copter crash (Thompson/Sentinel)

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatorjjh, Feb 6, 2020.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    UF FOOTBALL
    Mullen rattled by Kobe’s copter crash
    By Edgar Thompson Sentinel Sports
    GAINESVILLE — The tragic death of Kobe Bryant in a helicopter crash hit home for UF coach Dan Mullen, particularly on national signing day. Dating to his tenure at Mississippi State, Mullen has used the mode of transportation to save time and hassle on the recruiting trail.

“I’ve gotten on them a bunch in recruiting,” Mullen said Wednesday. “I more or less do it out of necessity within looking at a schedule to get it done.” But Mullen said the sudden death of Bryant, who was with his 13-year-old daughter, Gianna, at the time of the helicopter crash, “does give you pause.”

A week after Bryant’s Jan. 26 death, Mullen said he and his son, Canon, flew to Miami to celebrate his birthday at the Super Bowl. “He’s like, ‘This is the first time we’ve gotten on the plane since what happened to Kobe,’” Mullen said. “So he was a little nervous.” Mullen, 47, and the father of two, said helicopter travel is not embraced by everyone.

“We have a lot of our coaches who aren’t big fans of it. My wife is not a big fan of it,” Mullen said. “So obviously when you see those tragedies, I mean, it just — I mean, like our whole staff, that was kind of everybody in shock when we saw that. “It happened — we were in a staff meeting, someone came in and said it. So I think everybody was kind of like, ‘That can’t be right.’”
    Mullen rattled by Kobe’s copter crash

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Bushmaster

Bushmaster GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    I feel his pain. He should try riding in one in the Afghanistan mountains while getting shot at.

Kobe's death was completely unavoidable and they should have never been flying in that soup. Not blaming Kobe, but the pilot should have known better.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. gator1gear

gator1gear Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Hiram, Ga
    I've spent MANY days in Hueys. Never got used to it. I don't like flying, but helicopters are on a whole 'nother level.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. mkfgator

mkfgator Junior

Aug 28, 2019
    Thank you for that, and for everything else you did to serve.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. gatorranger7

gatorranger7 All American

Jun 8, 2007
    Complacency kills

CFIT is not a good way to go, but it tends to be mercifully quick. (Controlled Flight Into Terrain, for the non-aviation experienced)

Getthereitis is a frequent cause of fatal accidents.

Crowded urban terrain is as dangerous as anywhere on earth for rotary wing. I imagine LA area is geometrically moreso.

Rotary wing A/C I was in have been forced down by weather. Sat on the ground (a dicey thing in and of itself), idling, socked in and raining like hell. We really needed to get where we were going but the pilots said "We will. Alive." Glad for those guys.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. gatorranger7

gatorranger7 All American

Jun 8, 2007
    He should try ANYTHING while being shot at!

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  7. Swampgenie

Swampgenie GC Hall of Fame

Apr 30, 2007
    A Fatal decision, that can only be blamed on the Pilot. I guess the pilot had piloted Kobe charters before so they know each other. We don't know if the pilot or Kobe might have questioned conditions. Maybe they did. Did any of the passengers call or text anyone about the conditions prior to take off. Did someone say hey Kobe this soup looks like a challenge, maybe we should drive or wait. You can charter a bus cheaper and safer.
    Military choppers are manufactured with FLIR and TV sensors which allows them to fly in any conditions. The image on the HUD is clear. Why not require these in passenger A/C.

8. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Flying a chopper surrounded by mountains and steep hills during a fog-out is just not a good idea. Having said that, accidents happen on sunny days too.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Pilot navigated that terrain quite often and probably thought he could maneuver the chopper in even foggy conditions.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. LTG61

LTG61 All American

Apr 10, 2007
    Is this a good place to post my resume? I flew helicopters 20 years for the USAF, and I've flown as a contractor for the Army and USAF for the past 14 years. Still going strong.

Hire me, CDM! (Oh, BTW, I'll need some season tickets.)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    You couldn’t pay my ass enough to get on a helicopter or prop plane for that matter.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Legend

Mar 26, 2017
    Wouldn't that make it avoidable?

13. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Aww, man...
    Put me in the hands of a good stunt pilot in a vintage biplane!!!
    Great ride, and even if the engine quits, you can glide a LOONNG way to fiind any short, flat place to land that beautiful thing!!

He coiud put that thing down on a side street, as long as there's no power lines running across it....otherwise, land it in the far back portion of a WalMart parking lot! :D

• Like Like x 1
  14. gatorPUNX

gatorPUNX GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I heard this on WRUF the other day when they interviewed coach after signing day.

He recalled his son telling him "This is the first time we're boarding an airplane since... Kobe"

Says he does helicopters out of necessity.

EDIT: Oh, well that is exactly communicated in the first post. Don't mind me

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Pass

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Had a flight cancelled in Charlotte a few years back. It is just a 45 minute hop from there to here. But they didn't have another flight until the AM. It was already very late and I did not want to make a 4 hour drive over night, so I waited. When I got to my gate the next morning it was a (suspended from the wings) prop plain. It honestly held like 40 people and felt like a bus. I hated it. I actually check my connections in Charlotte now to avoid that thing.

17. Bushmaster

Bushmaster GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007

Flew from Charlotte to Fayetteville years ago on one of those types with a load of Army guys complete with all our baggage. The stewardess (only one of them), came down the aisle and actually shifted some people around to distribute the weight better.

We just kinda looked at each other wishing we were jumping a T10 so we could bail out over Sicily DZ. That was a scary ride!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Probably the same plane. I think it did that all day...Back and forth between ILM, Fayetteville, CLT and Jacksonbville NC. I am in the landing pattern for ILM and I saw that plane constantly. Just checked and it seems AA has suspended all turbo props these days.

19. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    My only helicopter flight was not a pleasant one. I was flown to the hospital after a car crash with a drunk driver. It was a smooth flight, from what I could tell.

The scariest flight I ever heard about was a Northwest prop plane out of Memphis. I had just flown in from Taiwan, and the flight home was overbooked, so my co-worker and I volunteered to take the next morning's flight instead of flying a prop plane through a major storm. On the bus ride back to the airport the next morning, a passenger told a story about a prop flight to a small Mississippi town that experienced so much turbulence it turned around midway through the flight and returned to Memphis. The plane would fall like a rock for 10-15 seconds before leveling off and bumping all over the place. The flight attendant would get on the mic and breathlessly tell everyone to remain calm ("everything is going to be fine"), and as soon as the plane dropped again, with her hand locked on the mic, she would scream 'AAAAAAAAAAAGGGHHHHH ! ! ! !" until the plane leveled out. Lots of passengers started throwing up and apparently things went downhill from there.

20. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

I had to take a flight with my now passed wife.....

We were flying from Orlando into Tulsa, to take her to the Cancer Treatment Center of America for treatment.....
    Our flight was smooth as silk for the 1st hour or so, when I saw our jet bank off to the left...I had the righht window seat...and have been used to flying, so I knew our altitude was announced at 36,000 feet....
    I loooked out the window, and saw the most ominous set of anvil clouds I had ever seen!...

There was one anvil cloud off to our right at probably 45,000 feet or so....BUT...there was something that I had NEVER seen before...and that was another anvil cloud, that rose on top of the existing one, that had to reach to at least twice the height!!!....

A few minutes later, the Captain came over the speaker, and said; Ladies and Gents, up til now, we've been on a freeway...I'm turning on the Seat Belt sign, because we're about to have to take a dirt road."

He was trying to get us arund that storm...and as we tried to descend into the Tulsa area, you could see the flight attendants in the back, sweatiing, and digging their nails into their legs.....looking outside, the few times you could see the plane's wings, they were flappiing like a goose tryiing to take off....

Our pilot was absolutey amazing...I looked out my window...annd saw a break in the clouds that went all the way down...revealing the airport runways directlyt below us....the pilot put our plane into a spiral, and within two minutes had smoothly landed.

When our limo driver picked us up..he asked us how our flight was...when we told him...he noncholantly told us that he wasn't surprised, because apparently that storm system had just spawned over 30 tornadoes in the Oklahoma area...

Nevertheless.....
    When a minister friend of mine invited me to spend 3 weeks, for three consecutive years in Hawai'i, all expenses paid, (and making some good $$$), to lay some music down for him.......let's just say........

I had absolutely NO problem getting on those planes!!