Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Mullen has crossed a crucial gap

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by jhbyrd, Feb 7, 2019.

1. jhbyrd

jhbyrd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Seabud
    I never thought Muschamp was dumb overall just a control freak who was over confident in his ability to run both the offense and the defense. UF had a hard time recruiting play makers on offense because they did not want to play in Muschamp's running focused offense.

I would not say he was dumb at defense but his insistence on controlling the offense was dumb and probably lost him his job.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    You are entitled to your opinion. Muschamp reminds me of two quotes:
    - “all the world is a nail when your only tool is a hammer”, and
    - “emotion is no long term substitute for intelligence.”

I have no stake in labeling him dumb and apologize if you know him and are offended by my use of what is probably an overbroad word, but man could he pound a square peg into a round hole like few I’ve seen. I’ll leave it there.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. jhbyrd

jhbyrd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Forgot about what a hot head he was with referees. That was dumb. In his interviews he seemed intelligent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. willgetin

willgetin Recruit

May 1, 2007
    I can't understand how people who are "Gator Fans" can put up with so much negativity from people across the board. If more than 50% of the board is negative towards the program even if the coaching is crappy, you're not a fan, you're a Gator Hater.

5. GatorBait42

GatorBait42 Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    Mac sucked time to accept it, dude did not meet the Gator standard and got by on smoke and mirrors often being exposed by decent teams, and thoroughly outschemed. We don’t accept mediocrity, and I don’t think that’s something worth apologizing for. We’re the Florida Gators and in any date past 1991 that means something. We have what can be a ridiculous home field advantage, the backing of tremendous academic institution, there are no excuses for losing, let alone 4 win seasons. You put one of those up at UF you can’t coach point blank and period. This isn’t about character it’s about results. Mac and Muschamp didn’t have the results to be passable let alone be respectable. If we’re talking Zook that’s a different story. He really did hold down the ship and prepped us for what would be a dynasty run under Meyer. Mac will never ever get that credit. Mullen won in the 2018 almost despite the situation he was granted, and will continue to win because he can coach.

We shouldn’t prop up a guy who didn’t live and breathe this job. What Mac put on was a disgusting display of negligence and to a man I bet he’s ashamed of what he delivered here at Florida.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Has Dan crossed the coaching version of the Rubicon? Other coaches won't like it.

7. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Legend

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    I didn’t take it as him bashing Mac, seemed more like stating the obvious but what do I know.

8. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Legend

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    That’s staggering when u see it in numbers

9. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Legend

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    I think your oversimplifying the conversation. Op pointed out how impressive what cdm is doing given the shit show that was here for the previous regimes. The vast majority of the talk that I’ve read since has been debating the merits of whether clarabelles time here was highlighted by incompetence and laziness. Having said that , the thread was actually hijacked by Mr devils advocate bec people felt they needed to defend the op mild criticism of clarabelle. I’m fairly confident that this would’ve ended up being a puff thread of most of us really saying what a phenomenal job Mullen has done and how thankful we are that he’s done it. Odds are there wouldn’t have been 2-3 total shots at mac in the entire thread had the one guy not felt the need to be Mr contrarian. Come to think of it that’s sorta f’ed up. Dude jumps in and wildly mischaracterized what the op said and then sane people were goaded into defending a pretty lucid and accurate portrayal and then u come and tell them they’re assholes bec they highlighted why the op wasn’t outlandish. Kinda retarded

10. T3goalie

T3goalie Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    He just APPEARED Lazy because he, "Feared For His Life." :emoji_skull:

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Not very far....I wasn't a fan of the timing of the firing right before the UGa game. Everything that was accomplished could have still been achieved if Mac had been let go after the regular season was complete and possibly not completely opened the stopcocks on our season that was already rapidly taking on water.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Quite possible, it certainly happened with Muschamp. We were 3-3 when the team got word that Mac would be canned and I'm not completely sure that we would have suffered a wheels fell off 4-7 season had Mac not been let go until the end of the regular season.

13. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    I can't tell you how many posts like the above I read in 2015. Just substitute the name Muschamp for Mac and Mac for Mullen.
    I didn't advocate propping up Mac. Its certainly fair to critique the former coach's work, I just think that the new coach's efforts are worthy of standing on their own without having to point out his predecessor's shortcomings. Lets just say that I'm very happy with our current leadership.

I think that Mac did admit that he made mistakes here at UF in his opening press conference when he was hired recently in Michigan, but ashamed is a strong word to use.

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  14. jhbyrd

jhbyrd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Since the topic was recruiting I simply pointed out reasons why our current recruiting class started out slowly. Which made the strong close by Mullen impressive.

Since recruiting take years of relationship building what the last coach did both win/loss wise and recruiting wise affects the following recruiting class.

I think Mac did a great job his first season and winning the East. Unfortunately Mac got too comfortable after his great first season and getting his contract bumped up.

Mullen is non stop and is already ahead of the curve on the 2020 and 2021 classes.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. willgetin

willgetin Recruit

May 1, 2007
    I guess you didn't see where I quoted him discussing the negativity on another board. That is what I was referencing. I didn't want to call out the other board by name, so I didn't. I understand where that may cause some confusion.

This board is great. It is full of decent conversations where people can debate and post without it ending up in name calling. I left that other board due to 85% of the post being negative and conversations ending up in name calling and people absolutely bashing our players.

About the topic of this thread? I agree with OP.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Winning is recruiting. Had Mac won 11 games he would have kept a top 5 class. Had Mullen missed a bowl this year, he wouldn’t have pulled the class he did this year. Satan doesn’t recruit well because he is well liked. Kids go to Bama for rings. It really is that simple.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. mac's UF career would look VERY different if he had been able to keep Will Grier.

His coaching shortcomings at SEC level competition would only just now have been becoming evident. We swallowed the tough medicine 2 years early and are 2 years ahead of where we would have been.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. G8rmann

G8rmann Premium Member

Feb 20, 2014
    I agree with much of what you have written, especially your appeal for fairness, but what was allowed to happen with the weight and training program was shameful and worth mentioning.

In retrospect, I think Mac was able to skate by for awhile riding on Muschamp's defensive recruits but may have lasted even longer if Grier wasn't pushed out the door. That would have been regrettable because I don't think he brought enough offensive value to the program. In fairness, Mullen has really benefited from the excellent backs he inherited from Mac.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. reptilegator

reptilegator Freshman

Nov 26, 2017
    Only fear is some wealthy NFL owner will offer CDM an offer he can’t refuse. That day all of us Gator fans will be sick. It is very evident CDM can coach a player up as well as Sharky-boy can coach them down. Time will prove CDM is a great communicator. He’s a great recruiter and teacher of the basic fundamentals. You can see how the players love just being around him. He’s the exact opposite of Saban in that respect. He’s more like Dabo, absolutely like-able. You can bet they have a lot of fun during their times together. This is a powerful asset. It also shows up in the recruiting process. He’s genuine and tells recruits the truth. Other coaches promise them everything under the sun. The truth stands out like a diamond on a velvet couch when it’s among a bunch of lies.

We now have a great coach. Football is fun again. Come on quickly September!

• Like Like x 1