Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Mullen & Grantham Articles (Gvl Sun) +

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatorjjh, Nov 6, 2019.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Horror film: Florida’s defensive players see errors that contributed to Georgia loss
    Gvl Sun By Robbie Andreu
    Going over the tape after a loss is usually an excruciating experience. But it can also be a helpful one, an enlightening one that can be beneficial in the long run. Such is the case with the Florida defense’s film review of last Saturday’s 24-17 loss to Georgia. It was hard to watch, but some good may come out of it.
    At least that’s the hope of defensive coordinator Todd Grantham, who directed the viewing Monday.

“The hardest thing as a player is when things don’t go well in a certain situation and area, you have to look at them and say, ‘What do you have to do to do better?’ ” Grantham said. “We watched those plays in a professional setting. It’s, ‘Understand we need better eye control, we need better leverage and we’ve got to play more physical in those situations. If we do that, here’s what can happen.’ ”.

The game changer was the epic fail on third down. The Bulldogs converted 12 of 18, controlling the ball and the clock and keeping the UF offense on the sideline for long stretches. Then there were the breakdowns in the secondary, one that led to a 52-yard TD pass in the fourth quarter moments after the Gators had cut the deficit to 16-10.
    “When you look at the game, it gets frustrating from the standpoint of you go back to everything you did,” Grantham said. “I think our preparation was really good. I thought we practiced the right way, we just didn’t make enough plays. That really goes to all downs.

Horror film: Florida's defensive players see errors that contributed to Georgia loss - GatorSports.com

2. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Notebook: Gators closer to Dawgs than some people think, Mullen says
    Gvl Sun By Robbie Andreu
    After Saturday’s 24-17 loss to Georgia, Florida coach Dan Mullen was asked how big he thinks the gap is between his program and Kirby Smart’s. He offered the obvious answer: seven points.

“How is it closer than seven points or further than seven points?” he said. “The gap is determined on the field and that’s what it is. You can look, ‘Oh, we have some pretty talented players, they have some pretty talented players.’

“There’s positions they have more talent than we do and there’s positions we have more talent than they do. It’s just our job to highlight our strengths and try to defend against our weaknesses as best as possible. That’s always kind of the matchup.

“We go into that game, we expect to win the game. We expected to win last year’s game, and thought a couple of things here and there (and we could have). That’s the way I see.”
    Notebook: Gators closer to Dawgs than some people think, Mullen says - GatorSports.com

3. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    It is puzzling to me how poorly our secondary has played this year. They drew rave reviews in the preseason, some saying our db's were the best in the country. That hasn't shown up on the field.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    the dbu crap needs to stop, it looks foolish unless it is backed up

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  5. Nostradamus

Nostradamus GC Legend

Sep 18, 2015
    In my view, there are two things plaguing our db’s. First is that our DL isn’t getting the kind of QB pressure that we saw last year against top teams with Zuniga and Greenard not at full speed. giving good QBs time is recipe for disaster. If Bo Nix was half as good as Fromm or Burrow, we lose that game. He missed some wide open receivers.

Regardless of how good a dB is, he can’t cover talented receivers forever in man coverage - eventually they’ll get free. Grantham seems to have gone more zone than man coverage this year in critical games to guard against getting beat in man coverage when good QBs have too much time Maybe that’s to offset the lack of pressure or he doesn’t trust his guys in man coverage. Zone does not play to our DBs strengths. Zone requires excellent recognition, angles, and open field tackling which is not something Marco in particular is good at. Dean seems to have recognition problems and is a little late to diagnose and close on the play. Also, as much as I like David Reese (excellent run stopper and field general) his Achilles heel is pass coverage. Also, I don’t think our safeties are able to cover any man coverage breakdowns by our CBs.

Bottom line in my view is lack of QB pressure puts us in zone on third downs, which is where we get beat by playing too soft/deep and failing to close and tackle short of the line to gain.

I’m not DC obviously, so these are just my observations.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    good thought and bears out when you look back to earlier games and the pressure applied when the 2 stud rushers were 100%

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. sir percival harvin

sir percival harvin Sophomore

Oct 14, 2017
    The game plan against Georgia was to stop the run. If we did that I thought we would win. I was wrong. I think they ran more zone to keep the db’s eyes forward for run support. It is really easy to just run the corners out of a play and Man coverage.

8. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Gators out to overcome coming up short on money downs
    By Gvl Sun Robbie Andreu
    Florida coach Dan Mullen experienced what many would consider every playcaller’s worst nightmare Saturday in Jacksonville.
    Too few plays. The numbers were astoundingly low.
    The Gators ran only 20 plays in the first half, just nine in the second quarter. For the game, they ran only 52 plays and had just three offensive possessions in the second half. Before UF started a 17-play touchdown drive with 10:01 left in the game, the Gators had run a mere 35 plays.

With those scant numbers, it’s difficult for a playcaller to get into any kind of rhythm.
    “It hurts,” Mullen said. “I think I’ve probably grown through the years with it, that you can get really frustrated with it.”

If Mullen was frustrated, it didn’t show, at least in his play calling. He stuck with his game plan and when the Gators desperately needed a touchdown to get back into the game in the fourth quarter against Georgia they drove 75 yards in 17 plays for a TD to make it a 24-17 game with 3:11 left to play.
    He was more of a patient playcaller than a frustrated one.
    Gators out to overcome coming up short on money downs - GatorSports.com

9. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

It seems every time our players start yapping about being DBU we severely disappoint. CGJ is the only player worthy of that level of praise since VH.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    Semi-rant-optional reading

If you're not breaking on some of the passes at least 'occasionally' -being aggressive and causing turnovers, if you can't lock down your guys...and if there are huge breakdowns in coverage's and people are walking into the end-zone, something is askew. Just sayin'...

Man, we need to be better in coverage.

I might be one of the few that believes we have the right defensive coach. But, be that as it may, I also believe he needs to coach up our kids better. I still see some confused coverage and lackluster defensive play. I get it, the job of a good QB is to lead defensive backs in the wrong direction with your looks and reads. Fromm is pretty good at that. (better than most folks want to admit) But we should be at least in the area or zip code. When I see two or three guys on one guy and another two receivers wide open and a guy like Fromm passing-I mean if I could hit an open receiver behind that line, imagine what Fromm can do?

So if a coach is saying we're out of position and needs to cover better...then teach the freaking kids to do that better.o_O With the dough these guys are getting paid anything that resembles mediocrity, IMHO, is complete and total failure. :confused:Our guys don't suck. But sometimes they play like they do...

Accountability around the coaches is important. I'm less amicable around giving coaches mulligans these days with the 'jack' they're getting kicked down. And, I'm not saying we don't have the right guys. But...the key is, they need to make it right. If part of that is recruiting, then get the right kids on the roster-and get your ass to work!

Double espresso is getting me all pumped:eek:...I blame myself...:oops:

Go Gators. Beat Vandy:D

• Like Like x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  11. lwg8tr

lwg8tr GC Legend

We have mucho holes that good recruiting needs to fill. We need some big nasty D-lineman. Maybe pickup one or two in the portal or grad transfers and some 4-5 star talent the old fashioned way. We need I think a complete overhaul on the o-line, we have solid 3* talent trying to block 5* monsters. What happened to lines like we had with Hall and Spurrier or for those 3 years with the Pounceys? We seem the last 10 years to have an o-line of Vandy type talent that lacks any nastiness that they can put two complete games together.

Mullen needs 3 years of top 5 recruiting and then you can regularly line up and win against the Clemsons, Bamas and Georgias. He has done a heroic job with the talent he was left. The cupboard is not bare but we are down to a half a box of stale saltines, karo syrup, some peanut butter and box of minute rice.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Mullen’s said we are closer to georgia than it seems? Okay coach, I believe you. Is it then that our staff is not up to theirs?

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    We lost by seven points.

• Like Like x 1
  14. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I see the same thing with our starting CB's right now as ive seen with several others over the years... as soon as they hit their junior year, they mail it in and save themselves for the NFL.

Saw it with Tabor, VHIII, and several others too.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    We played like crap, they played nearly flawless and got the breaks yet we only lost by 7. I'd say we're pretty close if not better than them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    We should win next year because we are getting better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    With injuries you never know. If we stay healthy I like our chances.

18. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    We have no choice but to stay healthy at QB, OL, DL, DB where we are thin.

19. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    We are obviously very competitive, but still a notch or so behind Georgia and LSU. We'll get there. Georgia has always recruited well, they continue to do so. We need to play catch-up. As mentioned, we only lost by a TD. Although, it was a painful 7 point loss. Not only because it was Georgia, but not being able to get any disruption of their passing game on either side-getting the QB or disrupting airborne passes was pretty depressing and an unfortunate reality. It exposed a few things.

Too many schools cherry picking our kids out of state too.

Go Gators.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod Moderator VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Totally agreed....

For us to not play to our potential in that game, and Georgia playing a near perfect one is one factor...
    Add the injuries... and take away that God-awful first drive...along with the shitty calls by the refs. (Ga.'s 1st 7 points)...

Now, Mulllen had to try to figure out how to play our nemesis, #8, at the time, with a one-dimensional team... There's truly only so much one can do when your opponent knows that you can't run the ball because of your O-Line...your opponent is gonna key in on your passing game.

Yeah, the bottom line is, once we can get an O-Line working, and get a full roster of players (we need the depth, too) Mullen will have this team as good as, or better than Georgia, and I think he's goinna do it faster than people think...he's an overachiever...look at what he's done in less than two years. No other recent coach has taken a team that was 4-7, and turned them into a 10-3, #7 team in one year, and is currently on track to go 11-2 in his 2nd year.

I don't know about anyoine else, but I'll take it

• Agree Agree x 1