Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Mullen’s recruits

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by gator10, Dec 30, 2020.

1. cubangator

cubangator GC Legend

Jul 8, 2017
    I agree, don’t see Mullen making any changes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Wow I totally forgot about that Clemson team being demolished like that. Great analogy. This is the turning point if we are gonna get back to that level. They were prolly recruiting about at the same clip we are now back then. But I haven’t bothered to look at their recruiting rankings from that far back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    heres what i said

Dabo did this after that game:

Fired OC Billy Napier
    Fired DC Kevin Steele (yea him)
    Fired RB coach Andre Powell
    OL coach Brad Scott “retired”

Hired unknown Chad Morris over Ralph Freigen as OC after being Tulsa OC for ONE year

Hired Tony Elliot as RB coach from FURMAN!!

Hired Robbie Caldwell as the OL coach

Hired former Duke co-defensive coordinator Marion Hobby as the new defensive line coach.

Hired Brent Venables as DC

Edit: Morris was already the OC in 2011 but the point still stands

Be real, you think Dan makes THESE type of changes????

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 3
  4. g0ggles

g0ggles Senior

Sep 8, 2012
    New DC obviously, which probably means a new LB/S coach. I'm all for a change at all 3 honestly. Wouldnt mind trying to slide an elite recruiter at the ST spot as well? No reason Knox should have both titles. I personally would evaluate the OL coach position, but THAT'S not gonna happen

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    My thing is with Mullen recruits....imagine throughout the season if we were getting the 2019 and 2020 class meaningful PT, say every 3rd-4th series, throughout the season just to get them experience. Last night doesn’t happen to the degree that it did. Those young kids looked like deer in the headlights so their poor performance last night was a reflection of the staff not getting them prepared throughout the season

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. ktalent1

ktalent1 GC Legend

Apr 12, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Dexter, Johnson, Braun, Torrence, Henderson, and Whittemore all got meaningful snaps this year. To a lesser extent Chatfield did as well, as did some of the young corners and both TEs. Emory has had plenty of opportunity. I agree that more snaps could only have helped but I don’t it’s not like none of them had played or had practiced against the firsts all year.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    i meant specifically defense needing to get more snaps, meaningful snaps, for the youngins when it was CLEAR that what the players who were out there were going to keep doing.

8. cubangator

cubangator GC Legend

Jul 8, 2017
    Since the Gators don’t returns kick offs or punts they don’t need a specialty team coach.

9. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    We were much better than our opponents in a lot of games, but it was not like we were up by 30 points and could let scout team players, who got no spring and limited fall camp reps, significant game time against SEC opponents. Everything conspired against getting more playing time to the true freshmen and redshirt freshmen this year. It was just a lost year for a lot of them for development, weight training, experience, and contact with the coaches.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. ncg8or

ncg8or GC Legend

May 28, 2007
    Good point...we were losing to Vandy/UK/Mizzou in the 2nd quarter and tied with Arkansas/USC/Ole Miss in the 2nd. Even UT was a 3-point game with less than a minute to go in the 1st half. We didn't blow anyone out enough in the 1st half to empty the bench, although we thought LSU might be that kind of game. :(

Quite a few of the 19/20 recruits did end up being key contributors - Braun, Dexter, Diabate (finished 2nd on the team in tackles), Elam, Henderson, Torrence, Johnson, Bogle, Zipperer, Wright, Tarquin, Hill, White, and Whittemore all played a bunch. One big difference this season compared to the last how-many-ever seasons was that coming into it, I can't think of a single position on the team where we were going to be relying on true FR to play other than DT.

11. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    I guess you have to give Mullen credit for keeping him in the fold during the transition, though. Many recruiting classes completely disintegrate during a coaching change. I think Mullen was also able to put him wherever he was needed on the field to get the most out of him, too. Not so confident McElwain would have used him properly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    yea he kept him in the fold, but the point remains. He was discovered by the previous staff and to my knowledge was never on MSU radar.

Anyways next year is a huge year

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    To the OP point, he is right. Not many standout players period. Fortunately we have done well with T Portal, but recruiting wise, meh. The names that have been mentioned is all about potential. We played a lot of younger guys vs OU and it was pathetic. Our play was a disgrace to the word Pathetic. If not for KT and our fab receivers, we'd be looking at a 6 losses imho.
    DM does a really good job designing and calling plays in most cases, heck, we don't really know how much plays he calls since he uses an OC, but I'm sure he has a major input. But beyond that he seems to tolerate poor performances by coaches and seems to want to blame losses on anything but himself.

14. username

username GC Hall of Fame

Aug 17, 2017
    I know this won’t be the last time I say this but please, for the love of god, PLEASE include Mullen’s transfers when talking about his recruits/classes. He has done well with JUCO/Transfers from his Miss St days, it’s clearly part of his formula. We have got like 5-6 5 stars from the portal. It Can’t be overlooked

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    Out of those portal people, how many have played up to 5 star level? We have yet to see what Lingard and B can do, #1 has played OK on D, but nothing really special. Shorter, seems like a 3 star. Not trying to be cute, but what have they done on the field? Potential is great, but... Grennard was a beast.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  16. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I guess anyone that gets drafted would be the success your talking about. Not sure stars really matter at all in that case being half the first round every year are three stars.

17. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    shhhhh, you’re talking too loud.

18. gtrfan

gtrfan Freshman

Jun 19, 2017
    Grimes and Van Jefferson worked out very well. Adam Shuler was solid on the D Line after transferring from WVU.

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree that it remains to be seen if Mullen’s recruits pan out but the bigger picture are the trenches. I hope they have recruited both lines sufficiently.

20. kes

kes GC Legend

May 26, 2007
    DeLand, FL
    OL maybe
    DL, not in the middle. We have 20 ends/bucks. We have only a handful of SDE and Tackles. Hope all get time w Savage this year. It was glaringly missed this year and that doesn't get enough recognition imo. Need some guys to add good lbs.