Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

msnbc trying to shame those that don’t wear a mask...

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by QGator2414, May 28, 2020.

1. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    The only experts who count are the ones whose strategies force changes in behavior on people.

2. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    This is mine.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Kind of like the government telling me I cannot drink and drive.
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  4. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    People touching their face more is the biggest issue I've heard doctors mention; not properly taking care of a mask that might have COVID-19 is another. WHO is still iffy on the effectiveness of wearing a mask (link covers non-medical masks as well):

Q&A: Masks and COVID-19

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    I just got me a new one trying to be socially responsible. :)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Wear one if you wish. It is not necessary. The numbers and science say so.

So does WHO...

• If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with COVID-19.
    • Wear a mask if you are coughing or sneezing.
    • Masks are effective only when used in combination with frequent hand-cleaning with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
    • If you wear a mask, then you must know how to use it and dispose of it properly.”

When and how to use masks

There is a reason it can be more dangerous to wear one. And the vast majority of us (myself included would fail to properly wear a mask).

7. FutureGatorMom

FutureGatorMom Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    I believe we are still evolving as far as knowledge of the new virus and what effects different methods have on it, however, I think you are referring to this list in that link:

• Non-medical or cloth masks could increase potential for COVID-19 to infect a person if the mask is contaminated by dirty hands and touched often, or kept on other parts of the face or head and then placed back over the mouth and nose - Like anything else, you have to use it in the proper way. Common sense tells you not to touch it and move it around. Take it off when you come home and wash it in soapy water. Have several on hand to use when others are drying. Problem solved.
    • Depending on the type of mask used, could cause difficulty in breathing It can if you have it on a long time, but it isn't like you suffocate. Use it to go to the store - do not wear in your car driving alone.
    • They can lead to facial skin breakdown - See the pictures of the nurses/doctors who wore the same mask for an entire shift. That won't happen to the average person wearing it for a short time
    • They can lead to difficulty with communicating clearly I guess we have to learn how to understand someone with a mask on? I have learned how to understand clients with foreign accents, it's not that hard.
    • They can be uncomfortable to wear Wha wha, cry me a river. Like anything, you get used to it.
    • It is possible that mask use, with unclear benefits, could create a false sense of security in the wearer, leading to diminished practice of recognized beneficial preventive measures such as physical distancing and hand hygiene. Knowledge is power. It's only one part of the puzzle. The FACT is, that if everyone wore a mask in public, the virus has no were to go and it goes away. It needs a person breathing in unprotected to keep infecting the public. I can do almost anything, if there is a possible end in sight. Not sure why there are people who can't be a little uncomfortable for a short period of time for their own future.

• Winner Winner x 4
  8. FutureGatorMom

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Anyway, if you are coughing or sneezing, stay home! The typical mask out there won't protect anyone if you cough or sneeze. If we all had N95 masks, which are worse to wear than the cloth kind, would you wear one then?
    Do you not wash your hands anyway? I mean, wearing a mask doesn't mean you stop everything else. It's not a complicated process to wear a mask, I think you don't give yourself or the "vast majority" enough credit!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Yep. I will stick with the numbers and what we are seeing in science.

10. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    I think what bothers me the most is that how many have just jumped on board for the virtue signalling aspect of mask wearing. Similar to some who chose electric or hybrid vehicles exclusively to "belong" to the group that wants to masquerade as caring about our planet while at the same time jetting around the world on private planes (looking at you Al Gore).

I doubt that these masks are terribly effective and 99.9 out of 100 people wearing them don't have COVID, anyway. My county requires the use of them in businesses and I comply because I think it is important to follow the law and if those poor folks at the stores have to wear them for their entire shifts, then I can muster up the ability to slap one on for the few minutes that I am in their store. People that wear them outside in walking down a sidewalk alone or by themselves in their car just crack me up.

11. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    I just changed the cat's litter box. I needed a mask and gloves cuz kitty cat can tear it up. Worse than me. Excuse me I have to wash my hands now. :eek::D

• Funny Funny x 3
  12. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    You have provided no science or numbers to back your position. I provided scientific articles with numbers to oppose your position. You have neither addressed that nor provided contrary numerical scientific evidence.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  13. Balbanes

Balbanes All American

Oct 7, 2014
    The anti-maskers are also conveniently ignoring the argument I made last night (one page back). Standard playbook, refute what you can, ignore what you cant, and maintain your point of view.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Are you seeking a government sponsored/informed message wrt recommendations for wearing a mask and/or mitigating risks in grocery stores?

15. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    If I may, allow me to try and explain some of my frustration. Like everyone else, I want the threat of this virus to end. Like many others, I fear for my job. Mine and my wife's salaries have already been cut. We are facing a more a more severe salary cut in the coming fiscal year. While we consider ourselves fortunate to be employed, continued shutdown increases the chances that we will lose our jobs. Again, we face the same kinds of fears many many others are.

My wife is from Taiwan - went through Sars years ago. In her country, they wear masks semi-regularly (also due to pollution). When a pandemic occurs, they all wear masks in public. It's just a thing they accept. Now I'm not naive enough to assume that wearing masks is the sole reason Taiwan's virus response has been about the best in the world. There's more to it than that. I do, however, respect their acceptance for taking a simple step to mitigate risk out of respect to their own personal health, but also care for the health of others. And yes, wearing masks has almost certainly helped to minimize infections in Taiwan.

Contrast that with many in the U.S. who outright fight the suggestion that we wear a mask in public. To my wife, that resistance is completely nonsensical. I'm growing to understand her sentiment. I'm influenced by it and I don't think in a negative way. I wish Americans were more understanding, better informed, and more tolerant. I get that you would see the other end of the tolerance angle and I agree (to an extent) that shaming people is not the best solution. From my personal perspective, though, it's difficult to witness ignorance regarding this issue. And yes - there is an abundance of ignorance.

I want our lives back - for everyone. I want the economy back and the chance to engage with the community. If wearing a mask helps us all get those things back more quickly, and I truly believe it does, I believe we should make the effort.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. beanfield

beanfield GC Legend

Aug 1, 2009
    I stopped reading when I read MSNBC

• Like Like x 1
  17. gogata125

gogata125 Junior

May 25, 2020
    As opposed to the tribal signaling of not wearing one to "own the libs."

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    I think it's the folks who are calling for an end to social distancing and calling for people not to wear masks who actually want people to die. That's the end result of what they want. More people will die.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  19. FutureGatorMom

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    I'm a Realtor and I sell....vacation homes. I want this to end too, all my red hot clients are now playing the stock market. Wear the darn mask already!!!

• Like Like x 1
  20. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    yeah, you figured me out, dont want mask wearing, secretly want you to die, stupid statement, do not know anyone who wants other people to die on purpose.