Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Movie: The Death Of Stalin

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by fastsix, Sep 2, 2018.

1. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    Has anybody seen this? I finally got around to watching it last night and it's such a strange movie. It's a comedy about things that aren't funny. It's from the same guy who wrote Veep and In The Loop. It's literally about The death of Stalin and how things shook out - maybe 50% accurate, 30% accurate-ish, and 20% just supposed to be funny...sort of.

I guess it's a way of presenting the atrocities of that time and place in history in a film people might actually watch? There were a bunch of times where I caught myself laughing and then thinking, "but that actually happened, so it's not really funny."

Good movie, but different.

• Informative Informative x 3
  2. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    If you don't know a lot about Russian history (I don't) this is full of spoilers.

What’s Fact and What’s Fiction in The Death of Stalin

As anyone who’s seen Veep knows, it’s basically a documentary. Now, having tackled backroom politics in the U.S. with Veep and the U.K. with The Thick of It, Armando Iannucci turns his attention to Soviet Russia with The Death of Stalin, an account of the scheming and backstabbing among the Politburo (the Soviet equivalent of the presidential Cabinet) following the demise of the Soviet dictator in 1953.

Although the blackly comic tone is unchanged, the film is a departure from Iannucci’s earlier work in two ways: It’s his first adaptation (the project was originally a comic book by Fabien Nury and Thierry Robin), and the characters are based on actual historical figures. But how much of the over-the-top machinations are based on real events and how much have been embellished for the purposes of satire? We break it all down below.

3. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I saw the movie. An odd combination: not quite a comedy, and not quite a serious documentary. It's amazing to find out most of the bizarre sequences of the movie actually happened. I just don't think Tambor and Buscemi were very funny. Mel Brooks would have done a funnier version of this movie, I suspect.

4. RayGator

RayGator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lakeland, Florida USA.
    20 million died under Joseph Stalin.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    It's one of the main plot points to the movie.

6. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    A movie that takes a risk and is different gets a bonus point in my book. Dark, satirical, comedy. Crisp writing. I dug it. Made me think of Animal Farm from HS - many, many yrs ago.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    Maybe I am odd, I thought it was hilarious.

8. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    Other recent movies that are "dark comedies". Mom and Dad and Thoroughbreds. I liked Thoroughbreds better, but both were good.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. wgbgator

wgbgator Very Stable Genius Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Geo-hell
    It was funny as hell. I thought it was great, and it was pretty historically on point too.

• Like Like x 1
  10. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I love when Kruschev is floating his idea by Zhukov at the end, and Zhukov totally trolls him.

• Funny Funny x 1