Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Mothers Day 2019 (Sunday, May 12th)

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by Bazza, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    I just sent an email to my 96 y/o Mom inviting her to dinner at a local restaurant that specializes in seafood.

I suggested Friday to avoid the crowds on Sunday.

I was also thinking about what to get her and found this website:
    8 best Mother's Day gifts 2019

I have no affiliation with this website or the products on it, just sharing it to begin a conversation for anyone interested.

Also, I'm sorry for all whose Mother is no longer with us. I hope for those folks they too will find an appropriate way to celebrate the impact their Mom had on their life and those around her.

My Mom is great and has been there for me all my life.

She's a Navy vet too and was stationed in Norfolk to help process our military coming back at the end of WWII.

That's how she met my Dad! ;)
    MomDadDec45Norfolk.jpg

For those long distance scenarios.....get that card in the mail soon!

• Like Like x 3
  2. gatorbite00

gatorbite00 Sophomore

Feb 2, 2019
    Port Orange
    I miss my MOM badly. 12-25-1951-8-22-2018...

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    My mom 1-15-31 to 07-22-17. Miss you mom! :(

4. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Good looking couple, Bazza. A very special picture for you and future generations. Treasure it. And don't forget to tag it with your parents names for future descendants to identify.

Unfortunately my mom and dad had a few pictures that had to have been take in the late 19th century, but the people in the photos were not identified. Other than their historical value in the period clothing worn by the stiffly posed people in the photos, and the type of photograph, they are meaningless for me as I have no clue who they are. There is no strong family resemblance to either of my parents, or my 4 grand parents.

5. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    That's cool, my good Gator friend. My dad was in the Air Force when he met my mother, although my mother was not in the military like yours...

To all the mothers out there. Happy Mother's Day.

• Like Like x 1
  6. whiskeygator

whiskeygator Sophomore

Mar 16, 2010
    This is a true story that happened to me years ago and it always serves to remind me of the commitment, sacrifice and unconditional love of Mothers. So for all of you Mothers, this story is for you.

In a remote campground in the northern Canadian Rockies the late summer sun had just slipped behind the peaks leaving us with the last reminder that night was approaching. I was making the final preparations for my evening meal as were the few other campers scattered about the campground. As everyone was busy with cooking over their fires, no one noticed the huge shape that slipped into camp from the shadows of the thick brush surrounding the clearing.

Someone finally noticed and shouted the word “BEAR”. There in our midst was a huge Grizzly bear. I have probably seen over 20 black bears in my camps over the years. While they are always cause for alarm, they are nothing compared to the size and the temperament of a Grizzly and this one was large for a Grizzly. He probably weighed around 700 pounds.

Everyone immediately took notice and began scrambling to get out of the great beast’s way as he moved from campsite to campsite. As he entered each campsite he devoured whatever food was in sight. Everyone was banging pots and pans together and shouting to drive the bear away, but to no avail. He was hungry and we were no match for his size and ferocity. He could do whatever he pleased.

The campsite nearest to me had a female dog with only 3 legs. She was a midsize mutt of about 40 pounds who had just given birth to puppies one week ago. I joined that family in trying to drive the bear away as we feared the worst possible outcome for the puppies and the mother dog. Nonetheless the bear continued on and entered their campsite and immediately made a straight line to the large old cardboard box that held the puppies and the mother.

I can still recall the sinking feeling in my stomach as the bear strolled up to the box and we could not stop it. As I thought all was lost for the puppies, the mother dog sprang from the box and the stand off began. Use your imagination to picture this, a 700 pound bear standing his ground and growling, while a 40 pound mutt with three legs was hobbling all around him barking and snarling.

What happened next was most odd. The bear could have easily swatted the dog with a huge claw and thus ending the mother dog’s life in one blow. The bear could have easily caught the clumsy dog in his jaws and snapped her in two. Instead the stand off went on for perhaps two very tense minutes. Everyone in camp thought the dog was doomed. But without anyone understanding why, the bear suddenly and simply turned around and walked away. He quietly slipped back into the dark woods with the barking of mother dog echoing throughout the mountain valley.

These memories always come back to me on Mother’s Day. But as the years go by, I now understand even more about mothers’ sacrifice and unconditional love. I have seen mothers fight with the “bear” everywhere. Staying up all night with a sick child; coming home from work dead tired but still needing to be super mom; fighting off personal illness and still being the loving heart of the family; the struggling single mom trying to hold a job, raise her kids properly and trying to figure out how to fix the broken car. If you look you can see the battles between mothers and the “bear” everyday as the “bear” comes in may shapes and shadows. These battles are won slowly and painstakingly one by one by mother’s sacrifice and commitment.

So this Mother’s Day I will think of that beautiful 3 legged mutt and her fierce battle, and I will think of all the beautiful noble mothers I know who continue to fight the “bear” everyday to bring a better life to their family.

Cheers Mom!