Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Most Indispensable Players for 2021

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Ahab, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Time for Trey Dean to finally turn into a beautiful butterfly. What he’s looked like hasn’t been pretty - so far anyway

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I would go with Zach Carter, his experience and versatility is unmatched on the roster. Huge value

I get the Ventrell sentiment, but really hoping other LB options emerge this spring to provide quality depth.

Elam would be my easy #2, he's a huge talent at a crucial position with no other player close to being proven.

Gouriage was awful in his time at tackle last season, can't list a guy I'm not even confident can play the spot. I guess Emory fits that bill somewhat as well. I get the lack of proven depth at their positions, but they aren't proven either.

3. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    No. Toney was awesome, a really good Gator. But Percy was pure heat with an amazing supporting cast.

• Like Like x 1
  4. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    In the end, Toney turned out to be a very different player than Harvin. He turned into a real wide receiver. As fast, quick and athletic as Harvin was, he didn't run routes like Toney, didn't get open as often, make as many clutch catches or ever catch seventy passes in a season. This past season, Toney looked more like the next Wes Chandler than the next Percy Harvin.

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. bike1014

bike1014 GC Legend

Jan 9, 2010
    Percy’s freshman year was better than Toney’s SR year.

Percy is at level all by himself.

I’m thankful for Toney - to be clear. He’s the only reason we beat Miami. No one else on the roster takes that WR screen to the house!!

-
    And due to the era I grew up in, we always cued “It feels good” by Tony, Toni, Tone when KT touched my the ball!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. 4everaGator

4everaGator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2010
    Central Florida
    And the fastest 3 steps in any league, he did it in the NFL too - made men look like boys!

7. 4everaGator

Aug 3, 2010
    Central Florida
    That's because he lined up all over the field and was used in so may different ways.

8. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Jones
    Miller
    Elam
    Carter
    Pierce
    Reese
    Whoever emerges at Safety

9. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    He did well in his freshman year... when he had a supporting cast that knew what they were doing on defense.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

You mean back when Jarrad Davis was calling defense on the field?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Do you recall how often Percy looked like the exact-perfect-only guy that could have been in the play and made what transpired happen? Toney def has a handful of those in his highlight reel but good god, Percy Harvin?

12. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 27, 2015
    Davis was long gone before Dean.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. KSAGator

KSAGator GC Legend

Jan 26, 2014
    Mexico
    yes - I think a full season went by between them (2016 versus 2018). Not even like he was still at Florida when Dean was a senior in HS. What Dean would have had in 2018 was a very good supporting cast in the defensive backfield.

14. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Time flies - I stand corrected

15. unclerob

unclerob Junior

Aug 14, 2015
    Harvin would run right past defenders, It would look like they were in a position to tackle him, then it wouldn't be close. Defenders WERE in a position to tackle Toney, but somehow they almost always missed. It's like he was Nightcrawler for X Men and just teleported out of reach.

16. chuikov

chuikov VIP Member

Jan 2, 2021
    1) Dean
    2) Elam
    3) Jones
    4) Richardson
    5) Newkirk/Valentino

17. chuikov

chuikov VIP Member

Jan 2, 2021
    Any one of those 5 get injured early it will seriously stress there position.

18. maxgator

maxgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Well, toney had a much better offensive coordinator .... oh wait.

I guess some here don't recall the mullen wheel that included Percy right, percy left and percy up the middle. Our slogan during that time was "just give the ball to percy." He was a generational talent and quite frankly didn't NEED to become a great receiver. Toney HAD to become a great receiver and far exceeded any expectations I had of him.

19. 4everaGator

Aug 3, 2010
    Central Florida
    Even in Harvin's rookie season he had UM's and Mullen's full trust, not so much the case with Toney.

20. finorman

finorman All American

Jan 30, 2009
    Orlando
    I don’t know about indispensable, but I can’t wait to see Princely Umanmielen get on the field consistently. For a freshman who didn’t have the benefit of spring practice last year he showed flashes of brilliance in limited playing time. He could be an Alex Brown type player.

• Like Like x 3