Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here. P.S. This is a great opportunity to upgrade to VIP and get extras like less ads on forums, full color calendar w/sports schedule, SMS alerts, and VIP only email newsletters...

More than 100 police agencies are pulling out of next month’s DNC

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatorpika, Aug 1, 2020.

1. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    Thank you for being honest about how some of the modern left really feels.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. LouisvilleGator

Oct 16, 2012
    Except in the cops case, you probably won't have to tell many of them twice thanks to their spineless mayors.

3. FeeBart

FeeBart VIP Member Trusted GC Insider

Oct 20, 2013
    Actually helps the DC as they probably didn’t want to terminate all those union contracts and look like the bad guys. Since it’s mostly virtual they can hire private contractors.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    i agree the highly unified George Floyd protests were entirely undercut by the violence.

But the problem in Charlottesville started with anti-Semitic Nazis chanting blood and soil, not when Antifa showed up.

And to me quantity if days is irrelevant for peaceful protest. For violent protest, one night of violence is too much.

• Off-topic Off-topic x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. nobbqsauce

nobbqsauce All American

Nov 21, 2018
    I do not stand with the neo nation, white power crowd that marched in Chaottesville...but they had a RIGHT to assemble and a right to freedom of speech. Chanting is not violence no matter how foul or despicable the message. I do not agree with everything BLM stands for, but recognize their right to assemble, to protest peacefully and their right to free speech. When we start equating speech to violence then we cross a line that is dangerous and destructive and I would offer that we some of the problems today because that line is blurred for many people.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. LouisvilleGator

Oct 16, 2012
    That's not a problem if you believe in the 1st Amendment. As morally repugnant as those chants might be, they are protected freedoms. Charlottesville didn't turn violent until the others showed up to confront the original protesters. Imagine if skinheads started showing up to BLM rallies and shouting them down. Probably wouldn't end well. That doesn't excuse the violence, of course.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Or is it that they explain exactly what they mean by defunding police and the GOP insists on misunderstanding the concept?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    well....if there was ever a venue that needed mental health professionals it is the DNC convention.....so maybe I am on board with this after all.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. flgator2

flgator2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It's dumb either way, only idiots believe in that

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  10. flgator2

flgator2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Maybe thats what you mean, but the rest of those wackos don't think as you and you know it

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    I guess the politicians don't understand either because for the most part nobody has jumped on board. If it was such a reasonable thing with no downsides, then why aren't they passing laws all over the country right now? At least in the blue states.

• Like Like x 1
  12. philnotfil

Apr 8, 2007
    Because not everyone agrees with the idea?

There is a difference between disagreeing with an idea, and purposefully misstating the idea.

13. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    You can't really accuse people of purposefully misstating it when the idea itself is not coherently defined and the slogan leads to other conclusions. I am just saying someone should get it and so far I think I have only heard of Seattle pushing it and losing their policing in the process.

14. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    Why not just have the slogan be "Eliminate the Police"? I mean, if that's what they really meant?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. philnotfil

Apr 8, 2007
    LMGTFY

16. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Like I said. Some vague idea about magical civil servants who will not be armed but will do away with crime. We only need police to deal with the really really bad guys and of course they will know ahead of time whether to deploy the police or the magical civil servants to the scene of a crime. I love how the "activists" think crime will just disappear when there is a kinder, gentler approach to law enforcement and nobody is going to see it as an opportunity now that risk is reduced. Not to mention that budget cuts are going to cut into things like police training, which is deficient already and a huge part the problem. Can't see everyone jumping on board with that one.

• Like Like x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Nobody rational thinks that. What people think is that police aren't equipped or trained for certain situations. Putting them in the middle of those situations can and often does make things worse. Specialization isn't a bad thing.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  18. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    It's bad sloganeering, so we shouldn't be surprised by the bad faith and lack of intellectual honesty. Just call it funding (or refunding) the community.

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. PerSeGator

PerSeGator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2014
    Didn’t one of those very fine people in Charlottesville run down a crowd of people with his car?

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. PerSeGator

PerSeGator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2014
    How does England manage to survive without armed police?

Also, don’t the police repeatedly argue that they aren’t actually there to “protect and serve” or stop crimes from happening, but rather to respond after the fact?