Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

More than 100 police agencies are pulling out of next month’s DNC

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatorpika, Aug 1, 2020.

1. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    If I was a cop in Seattle, I’d be retiring or looking for another agency or job, ASAP.

2. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    The problem with folks who only see black and white in a more nuanced, technicolor world is that......never mind......why bother.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. nobbqsauce

nobbqsauce All American

Nov 21, 2018
    Of course, this true...
    But when the peaceful are in the same crowd, gathering, as the violent rioters they are now part of the riot. Ots not like the peaceful protestors where two blocks over getting teargassed while the rioters where attacking the federal buildings.

4. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Funny how the right didn't view Charlottesville through this lens, only Portland.

I wonder why?

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. FeeBart

FeeBart I like When Gators Hit People! VIP Member Trusted GC Insider

Oct 20, 2013
    Actually they tear gassed the protesters 2 blocks over the first week and the people in the public park in front of the White House . Arrest the people attacking the building and move on. It’s actually pretty simple.

Removed fed agitators and had a relatively peaceful night yesterday

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Jan 4, 2013
    It's too bad that the police have allowed themselves to become a political force. The motto has changed from "protect and serve" to "enforce laws," and they've started to see themselves as disciplinarians rather than a part of the community they are supposed to protect. The designation used to be "peace officers," and since we've abandoned that idea, the distance between the police and the populace has become far too great.

it's also not great that because of 20 years of "war," police departments have become disproportionately filled with former military members. The military and civilian law enforcement should not interchangeable professions. When you have someone who has spent years in a highly weaponized and defensive position, it is a hard transition to assuming that not everyone you see is a potential threat. So we get over reactions and increased militarization of the police culture, and that runs contrary to what a peace officer is supposed to be.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    Except they mean exactly their slogan means. The lefties here are just too ashamed to admit it.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  8. FeeBart

Oct 20, 2013
    It’s why all those unions and associations need to go. Define civil service class and protections and ignore these groups.

9. jmoliver

jmoliver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I’m sure those that back out will find some other event to bill ungodly amounts of overtime to pump up their pensions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. LouisvilleGator

Oct 16, 2012
    Yes, likely an event where they're appreciated and their sacrifice is not taken for granted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. WC53

WC53 GC Legend

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    I large number, bigly, of Democrats immediately came out saying the slogan was a bad decision. But the protest organizers were too vested...and with social media, I don’t know ifbit is possible to change

• Like Like x 1
  12. WC53

WC53 GC Legend

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    And it is just a bad decision by Police. They need to stay apolitical.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. nobbqsauce

nobbqsauce All American

Nov 21, 2018
    Police did not thrust themselves into the political sphere. They where dragged in by mayors, given ours, senators, and a presidential hopeful.
    When the very people who are telling the world that you need to be defunded, that you aren't doing a good job then ask you to protect them...the police have every right to say no.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. nobbqsauce

nobbqsauce All American

Nov 21, 2018
    Because many felt that they had the RIGHT to protest. Of course then the antifa crowd showed up, escalated the event and an idiot rammed one with a car. 1 day of violence, 1 death...not counting the two cops who died in a helicopter accident...
    Not 63 nights of violence attacking a federal building with homemade frag grenades...

Notice that almost everyone...left, right, black, white etc...where on the side of George Floyd. On the side of police reform. On the side of change. Until some took it far far too far over the line. And that is when some of us had issues with the "cause".
    Funny how some want to claim that we should separate the good proteators from the violent rioters but just lump all cops into one big category.....not necessarily you fee...you have been thoughtful in your responses that I have seen...but others on here have basically called cops..all cops in general...bad people.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  15. LouisvilleGator

Oct 16, 2012
    Yep. It's never stopped teacher's unions or any other public sector union from striking or refusing work. Why are cops the only ones who have to bend over?

16. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Yeah it would be a shame if those poor hard-working cops had to "sacrifice" their nap time and had to get up and go do what they're paid to do.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. FeeBart

Oct 20, 2013
    I guess you missed decades of Police misconduct , consent decrees and prosecutions. If you don’t want to do the job honorably QUIT!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
  18. Gator40

Gator40 Avada Kedavra

Apr 3, 2007
    Right

19. Gator40

Gator40 Avada Kedavra

Apr 3, 2007
    Then they can do what everyone tells unions who strike to do: go find another job.

• Winner Winner x 2
  20. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You are being critical of someone taking advantage of an opportunity to work overtime and earn more money? Especially in a country where too many people don’t want to work at all?