Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. ATTENTION VIP MEMBERS: Your favorite full color wall calendar with Gator sports schedules is on the way to you in the mail! Expect it in a week or two at most. Questions? Ask here.

More Tariff fallout

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by channingcrowderhungry, Jul 2, 2018.

1. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    If you do not have the spine to level the playing field and address trade imbalance, you should not be in Congress and you know nothing about finance, economy and job creation. Short term pain for long term gain. These spineless cowards that can’t go 60 days need to resign their positions in Congress.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    If Trump’s track record were better it would be an easier bet. You’re talking about a guy who had to write immigration EO 3 times, couldn’t get the ACA repealed, has no plan to build his watermark wall, seems to be outplayed by NK, and can’t seem to communicate without contradiction. If those things elude him how can we support a cowboy plan of strong arm negotiations with allies that put the economy at risk? It’s just unlikely to work out but best of luck. It’s a liberals future too.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    I got my degree in international economics from UF. Please enlighten me, because nothing is better than someone telling you if you don't agree with them than you don't know about a subject

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 9
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Which imbalances? Tobacco and sneakers? Those types of tariff imbalances?

• Winner Winner x 2
  5. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    If the equation was manufacturing jobs versus service jobs, then yes, take the mfg jobs. But there are so many more points and players to the equation.

Let's just look at the mfg company. If we need large tariffs to compete locally, then this mfg company will not be able to compete globally. This will mean the mfg company will only be able to sell to the US market while the overseas companies will be much less restrained. This could be an issue for the local company when it needs raw materials, especially if it needs to import them. The overseas mfg companies will be able to buy more in bulk and lower costs even more. It could cause the local company to look into automation to save money. Which is exactly what happened to US textiles companies. They have automated to try and keep up and the jobs weren't saved anyway.

There's still a lot more to the equation. Take retalitory tarrifs. Other countries raise them on US goods which means things produced in the US are more expensive overseas, people buy less of the US produced goods, which can lead to job losses here. Same thing happens here, as foreign goods are more expensive, meaning we have less buying power, and foreign visitors have less money to come visit. Which means we likely lose the service jobs anyway too.

I'm no economic expert, but historically I know trade wars only end up with losers and no winners. The unintended consequences and nuance usually means the losses far outweigh any gains. But Trump doesn't understand this. He sees only the mfg losses and thinks he can win that back without doing any other damage. It's 2 dimensional thinking in a world with many dimensions. And Trump's trade war is going to end like all others.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    US pork producers prepare for steep tariffs: 'I don't want to be the patriot who dies at the end of the war'

7. flgator2

flgator2 GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    How is wanting the best for America selling out our values?

8. ballastpointgator

ballastpointgator Senior

Jun 16, 2018
    I've been told he's done more than any other president to date in such a short amount of time.

• Funny Funny x 5
  9. grumpygator77

grumpygator77 GC Legend

Nov 26, 2017
    Wanting the best for America is simply a hollow platitude.
    How is wanting the Gators to be the number one team in the country have anything to do with actually becoming the number one team in the country.

You need a competent leader of both the Gators and the Country that has an intelligent, workable plan to make your "dream" a reality.

Again, Trump winging it is not a plan.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. flgator2

flgator2 GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    Based on what he's accomplished , looks like to me he's winning

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    More pain for US businesses. This time, dairy farmers, which ironically who Trump was trying to protect.

Take American cheese makers, for example. The Wall Street Journal also reports those that rely on foreign sales are suffering as China and Mexico raise tariffs on U.S. mozzarella and provolone.

BelGioioso Cheese Inc., a second-generation family company in Wisconsin, has seen sales to Mexico drop since officials there implemented tariffs of up to 15% in early June on most U.S. cheese. The levies were a response to tariffs the U.S. placed on Mexican steel and aluminum.

12. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    So the war officially kicks off in under 4 1/2 hours..... tariffs of 25% go into effect at 12:01 AM on chinese imports.

China will retaliate with an immediate response.

Trump threatens to tariff practically all chinese imports as a response to china's response.

Trump says U.S. tariffs on Chinese goods could exceed $500 billion

13. grumpygator77

grumpygator77 GC Legend

Nov 26, 2017
    I'll ask again. What exactly has he accomplished?
    But I'll agree he may be winning as the rest of us foot the bill and become the losers.
    Trump is all about Trump.
    Sad most of those cheer leading for him can't see that.
    At least not yet.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    So you're saying my cost of living is about to go up? How is this supposed to help me again?

• Like Like x 2
  15. flgator2

flgator2 GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    This has been argued on previous post over the last several months on his accomplishments you and the left always deny this so there's no reason to waste my time trying to reason with you

16. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    if the Mexican economy is doing so well and we have net zero immigration, why do we need a wall?. Your logic is all over the place. The U.S. Is suffering due to nafta, yet we need a wall to keep the Mexicans out of the US.o_O,

The only sure result of a trade war, will be higher consumer prices for all.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Dang, have to tell the wife, no German car for her.

18. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    How about the Central Americans (inter alia) traversing Mexico to our Southern borders? Ppl. the Mexicans turn back at a clip of over 90%, yet tens of thousands still show up...

...and what of sex traffic and drug traffic?

The border is so porous, they run that shit through constantly, with impunity.

Ain't about keeping Mexicans out--it's about controlling our sovereign border (and relatedly, rule of law).

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    At least that's better than having to tell your wife BMW laid you off because of the tariffs. Then there might be no car at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. grumpygator77

grumpygator77 GC Legend

Nov 26, 2017
    Perception does not equal reality.
    But I do understand that reasoning is extinct for the right.

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1