Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

More Tariff fallout

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by channingcrowderhungry, Jul 2, 2018.

1. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Ever think that maybe this is just round 1 of a 15 round fight. Not a trump supporter but the existing trade deals the US has were junk. How do you change them without a fight? You can't. So do you leave them alone or do you fight?

• Agree x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  3. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Tariffs and trade wars. Such a traditional Republican concept. :emoji_upside_down:The party that most promoted feee trade now runs against it and blames Democrats. Meanwhile, all the free trade Republicans simply sell out their values in exchange for power.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    How exactly were our trade deals with Canada "junk?"

5. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Well, for one thing, when we’ve ordered boats from them, we kept getting boots instead.

• Funny Funny x 20
    • Like Like x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  6. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Disagree. Trump explicitly stated that he imposed the tariffs on Canada in the name of national security. I am going to take him at his word. Same reason for the immigration ban. National security. Supreme Court said in the immigration case that he can do what he needs to in the name of national security. These must be real threats. Otherwise, he is just lying to increase his grab for authority and we are being led like lemmings to the cliff. So, this is in the name of repelling the the threat from Canada. And, if US jobs are lost and inflation increases, that is a small price to pay for a secure northern border. Of course, he is also handlong the national security threat at the southern border. NationaL security. Apparently, we are under seige. Let’s see what happens in a few weeks when he meets with Putin. Putin’s nationalistic authoritarian conservatism is more in line with the kind of government so many are willing to accept. Imagine what our struggling economy will be like when our so called friends stop screwing us and we become closer to real friends like Putin. While this may look like the justifications of despots through history, it can’t happen here. :emoji_upside_down:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Oh yeah bra, I totally get it now!

Trump is just racist against all those pasty dark skinned ppl. from North of the Border, eh?

:cool:

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  8. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    You have utterly missed the point. Your snarky response identifies you as among the large number of those willing to accept the increasing authoritarian power grab going on here.

The key phrase in my post was "national security." The invocation of it to respond to invented threats to justify power grabs. Like tariffs that would be illegal otherwise.

I commend you to reading on the methods of authoritarians and the common tactics that they have, and continue to, engage in. They invent crises to consolidate their power.

I suggest Malcolm Nance's new book. He lays out what is going on in recent times in countries overseas and here.

The Putin authoritarian nationalistic conservatism includes wedges between traditional Atlantic allies which have nothing to do with race. Like a trade war between the US and Canada. It has nothing to do with race.

Notably, in your snarky response, you failed to address the frivolous claim by Trump that he imposed tariffs on Canada for national security purposes. Because no such justification exists, you set up a false straw man argument that racism did not motivate Trump's tariffs.

Of course, I did not say that it did. I said that Trump made a false assertion of national security to justify the tariffs as part of his efforts to weaken or relationships with our allies.

Trump's travel ban fulfills part of his promise of a Muslim ban. Trump advocated a Muslim ban. I did not make it up. Again, justified in the name of national security.

That is another hallmark of an authoritarian. Invoking national security against an identified race or religious group. The creation of a bogeyman. This always finds supporters willing to allow the exercise of power to protect them from the bogeyman.

National Security also justifies locking up El Salvadoran refugees who seek asylum at the border and separating them from their children. That is to protect us from Mexican rapists and MS 13?

I am not Trump's audience. But, i hear him and recognize what he is doing.

including, as to this thread, how the trade wars relate to this.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    No. He’s using national security to justify the imposition of tariffs vs a country that poses no security threat, unless an influx of hockey fans endanger us.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    What specifically was bad about our trade deals? It’s an easy claim to make and may even sound right but much harder to justify when you dig into it and realize free trade is the key to economic prosperity.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    One of the funnier posts I've seen in a while. No, I've never thought that this is just round 1 of a 15 round fight. Our trade deals with our (former) allies were fairly even. This is just Trump being an arrogant dumbass. It's the same thing as his business dealings where he tries to bully people into giving him what he wants. But other countries aren't like the small businessmen Trump was able to screw over in the business world. Other countries won't give in. Canadians freaking hate Trump. There will be no political pressure for them to give in to his demands.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    Those who live in Florida are aware of the annual canadian invasion that occurs when the weather turns cool here.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 3
  13. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    I live in a building that has numerous Canadians as owners. Many of them are my friends.

They do not hate Trump!!!!

They hate their guy.

14. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
  15. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Economy killer is dumbass doesn't dial it back.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. grumpygator77

grumpygator77 GC Legend

Nov 26, 2017
    I depend on steel and aluminum in my business.
    I'm already paying ridiculous increases.
    I can barely stand up after "round one". I have no want for another 14 rounds.

Easy to yell "fight" when it's not you taking the blows.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. wgbgator

wgbgator Very Stable Genius Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Geo-hell
    In this '15 rounds' metaphor, I'd like to understand what the final victory looks like. Canada becomes our bitch or something ? That doesn't seem to be likely, what seems more likely is that the tariff regime becomes entrenched policy. Trade isn't some contest of domination, but that's how these idiots view everything.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  18. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    In general, I think people who don't know each other real well tend to steer clear of politics unless/until they know common ground is shared. So a Trump supporter is more likely to discuss politics with foreigners who also like Trump, and people against Trump are more likely to discuss with foreigners against Trump. It's effectively confirmation bias.

But Canadians en masse do hate Trump and have lowered their opinions of us because of him and our support of him.

Under Trump, a majority of Canadians dislike the U.S. for the first time in 35 years, likely much longer | The Star

19. 108

108 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    NYC
    Essentially what his base wants...to impose our will on other nations because Dear Leader has an axe to grind.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  20. grumpygator77

grumpygator77 GC Legend

Nov 26, 2017
    to add... how quickly are the shuttered steel mills here going to be back in operation? Is that even part of the plan? Does this regime think this is some bring jobs back to 'Merica plan? Or just a way to wave your tiny genitals around? As usual, this president has no plan and thinks "winging it" IS a plan.

• Agree Agree x 1