Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

More Recruits

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by acegator, Feb 10, 2018.

1. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area

Cool. Now add in all the transfers those other schools got so we can really compare.....

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Hey buddy, bite me!! I mean, good night brother!!

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  3. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    What is this bite me you speak of? You are sending such foggy ideas that make it difficult to follow.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. acegator

acegator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 11, 2010
    Sweet!

5. LAGatorDoc

LAGatorDoc GC Hall of Fame

Jul 29, 2012
    Is Jefferson gonna be allowed to play this year?

That's a big question for me.

I think Mullen did a heckuva job closing down the stretch on getting his guys (transfers and recruits). Only positions we missed out on were one more CB and one more DT. I am sure he would say the same thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    I thought I had read or heard that Jefferson was approved to play, but a Grimes decision had not yet been made

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area
    I think he will be....but if he's not @acegator will need notorious to make another updated list and update the scores....and he'll want to count Jefferson as part of the 2019 recruit class - you know, because transfers count towards the class in which the first year they will be able to play (not the actual year they enrolled). So, even though Jefferson will be on the 2018 team...if he's not able to play in 2018, he should be considered part of the 2019 class. Now, keep in mind, this will lower the overall score of the 2018 class...BUT, it could raise the over score of the 2019 class. SO....there is a silver lining to him not being able to play in 2018. Now...keep in mind, this is all moot if he's ruled eligible to play in 2018. Got it? :D

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  8. LFGator

LFGator Freshman

Aug 4, 2015
    I think the overall point of the original post was to say that we have more high profile transfers than we usually have and they need to be factored into our recent influx of talent as we try to compete with our rivals that have recently recruited better than us on signing day. Ultimately, recruiting is simply an analysis of incoming talent and the traditional recruiting rankings don't factor in transfers, which leaves a partial picture of your talent level. We are certainly behind our rivals in overall roster talent but the four transfers mentioned above Delance, Dunlap (sp?), Jefferson and Grimes are not your normal transfers and bring us closer to our rivals in overall roster talent.

Obviously other teams need to be analyzed similarly regarding their transfers, but my guess is that the four transfers we've gotten the last couple of years might be the most significant in the country during that time span as far as recruiting rankings go. Doesn't really matter what class they get added to but they should be factored in...for everyone.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. NOLAGATOR

NOLAGATOR GC Hall of Fame

Jun 2, 2014
    Thanks Notorious -Nice work

I had read that but could not find it again.

Mullen has one of the highest (24/7) ratings per player in many years. Given he seems to be able to coach players up and also finds guys under the radar, AGAIN I am VERY pleased.

I can't wait until Spring.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  10. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area
    I agree that the transfers are significant. I'm not arguing that. I'm amused by the cherry picking....or the "how can we make ourselves look better" discussion. It is what it is. Why can't people be pleased that we landed the consensus 14th ranked class?

I used this analogy already, but it's like the last 3 years and those who kept posting that McElwain's 3-star recruits are better than advertised because he and his staff are better talent evaluators than all of our rivals...so it's okay we finished behind in the recruiting rankings than 5 of our annual opponents. No, McElwain and his lazy staff are not better talent evaluators. It is what it is.

As far as "most significant in the country" I'd disagree (go see the Heisman winner at Oklahoma, as just one example of impact transfers). Go back and look at the list I posted of 4 and 5 star QBs that have landed on other rosters (Eason to Washington; Stidham to Auburn, and on and on). Then...to make things more comical, the OP states that even though the DT and OL transferred last season (2017) they should count in this year's class (2018). Yeah, okay....

This whole thread is a "how can we make ourselves look better?" I'm happy we got the two WR's. I hope they both can play and they both produce big-time. But they're transfers....not members of the recruit class. And if we're going to play that game....do it for the other schools too.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. LFGator

LFGator Freshman

Aug 4, 2015
    Don't disagree that there is some "putting lipstick on a pig" to improve the look and feel of our program a bit. However, I stand by the idea that our transfers the last two years "might be" the most significant in the country. We had 1 3 star, 2 4 stars and 1 5 star. Whether they pan out on the field is another story, but on paper I'd be curious if there was anyone who had more overall quality that transferred in than that. Yes, there are one-offs like Stidham and Eason and Patterson, but are they getting anyone else to go along with those guys? Maybe, but there is certainly an argument based on those 4 alone that our transfers might be the most significant in the country the last two years overall.

Not sure why you referenced Mayfield. He transferred back in 2014, which is a lot longer than the "last couple of years" timeframe I've referenced for our recent transfers. To my point, however, Mayfield was likely the most important member of the class the year he transferred in, so why shouldn't he be included somewhere? He improved the quality of talent at OU and was recruited. I don't see a difference with him and any HS or JUCO guys that are also brought in that same year and are similarly recruited.

As to where they should count, who cares which class? They should be counted somewhere though because new talent is new talent. They are all still recruited once they announce their intention to leave their former school. Rarely do they know exactly where they are headed (see Stidham who went through the process including visits to several schools). Ultimately, if the goal of recruiting rankings is to analyze talent on a roster, ignoring the impact of transfers on that analysis is nonsensical, especially when you consider that almost 10% of our influx of talent last year and this year were from transfers (4 out of 46).

I have seen numerous articles analyzing recruiting data and connecting it to championships. I agree that Gator fans are reaching for positive data to point to a better future. However, our recent transfers can't simply be brushed aside and not factored in...they are significant and allow us to better compete on paper with our rivals who are recruiting better on signing day the last couple of years.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It's strange we have so many transfers this season. Hope they do well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    You're welcome man.

By the way, @theghost used to be my boy on this board! Hmmmm

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. acegator

acegator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 11, 2010
    This!

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. rpmGator

rpmGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    If they are an addition they have to be counted.

Look up the additions of your fave team and let us know the score.

That way we know your true team

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  16. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I'm not interested in how it looks but what is our influx of talent that will be hitting the field this year. Our transfers are huge this year and I'm sure we aren't the only team that can say that. We may however add more talent than 14 suggests.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area
    Quick, someone re-do the recruiting rankings to add in Texas Tech WR Jonathan Giles transfer to LSU's class:

(from SEC Country):

Wide receiver Jonathan Giles
    The transfer from Texas Tech should become LSU’s first 1,000-yard receiver since Odell Beckham Jr. and Jarvis Landry did it in 2013. Notice I didn’t say “might.” Barring injury or ineffective quarterback play, he’s got the tools to make it happen. And that’s something fans will love.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. blkwtr

blkwtr Sophomore

Jan 3, 2018
    Well put Notoriousga on the whole math gig. More of a visual math person myself as opposed to string theory. Math is math still pretty much rule based.
    Must add, the players coming in and ready to play class projection are truly inspiring. Coach Mullen and crew did an awesome job for a bunch of not able to recruit clowns.
    All the transfers also plug and play at positions of need. Including the Rehab Rabbits from the summer.
    In the end, base of 18 works for me. Plus the 4 ready to play is just a sweet bonus.

19. LFGator

LFGator Freshman

Aug 4, 2015
    Again, why not? Clearly, this guy is expected to potentially be a 1,000 yard receiver. He was likely recruited to play there and is an influx of talent. Guys that are coming out of HS occasionally don't sign on signing day. Should they not be counted also? Recruiting is about an influx of talent, whether it be from HS, JUCO or transfer. Why the transfers are somehow treated differently baffles me.

As an aside, your sarcasm is duly noted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area
    You should write to 247, ESPN, Scout and any other site that does recruiting rankings and make your case. In the meantime, we finished w/ the 14th ranked class no matter how anyone wants to sugar-coat it. And, AGAIN, what's wrong w/ a 14th ranked finish w/ only 18 recruits in a transition year? I'm sure if you go on an FSU, A&M, or Tenn board they can give you 10 more excuses on why their class is better or should be ranked higher. I think everyone gets it; the transfers are good for us. No one is arguing that. Again, this is akin to the last 3+ years when these same type of threads got started where posters were literally saying that McElwain and his staff were better at evaluating talent than other coaching staffs - so...our 3-star kids were actually higher than they were ranked. This is a true story! Now we all know it was bullsh*t. The part I find extra comical in this thread is that the OL & DL from 2017 should count towards the 2018 rankings....never mind that they were on last year's roster and they transferred in under McElwain, not the current coaching staff. If that's not cherry picking I don't know what is. But, hey...if it makes you feel good - go for it! We had a top 10 class!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1