Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

More quitters, this time at Rutgers

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by cocodrilo, Oct 7, 2019.

1. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I suspect the NCAA will go back to the old rules. You either don’t play at all or you have to prove a significant injury to get a redshirt.

3. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator GC Hall of Fame

I do not like this practice at all....

Next-level diva players.

Can coaches pull or limit their scholarship when players do this? If so, do it because the deal is their education is PAID FOR on the condition that they play football for their university!!!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  4. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator GC Hall of Fame

That or there needs to be a clause against this practice in the letter of intent that they sign to become part of the class.

5. Gatorfred

Gatorfred GC Legend

Oct 15, 2012
    Scholarships are usually only a one year at a time. Some schools or conferences do it differently and make them four years.
    Not sure I like this practice either but it is a by product of the rules that the adults made. So, more power to the ones that use it to their advantage.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    I’m afraid this has gotten away from the NCAA. In a litigious, me-first, gotta watch out for my future earnings society, there is no way the NCAA can beat this in a court of law.

They will need to allow it or face an exodus of schools.

Amateurism will be dead in 15 years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ShadowCat

ShadowCat Senior

Jan 6, 2015
    Well considering the coach they signed with was fired four games into the season, why not wait and see who is the next coach so they can play four years for that staff. It is a career decision, they could leave the school instead. As noted, it is a rule put in place by the adults so if the kids want to spend 4 years with a staff that can develop them vs a staff who may be mailing in the effort now... who can blame them? I don't know what is going on in that program.

That being said, I would not give up on my teammates like this... just trying to make a note of what they may be thinking.

8. SewaneeGator

SewaneeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I don't like it either, but I'm not sure it won't work itself out. You do something like this at the risk of becoming a locker room pariah and/or never getting your position back because the staff is over you.

9. TEKgator22

TEKgator22 GC Legend

Nov 30, 2008
    VA
    If memory serves, weren't we actively recruiting the QB (Sitowski) until we cooled on him? Dodged that bullet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    I have no problem with is. Players have been used by coaches since FB started. About time they have a say in their career. I think every player on the team who has an available redshirt should do the same. That program is a mess.
    As fans we don't have to like it but it's not our lives and none of our business. If it turns you away from CFB then that is your choice.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    96 just beat me to it, but I also don't have a problem with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    They are basically planning their next steps to potentially transfer out if they don’t like the new coaching hire.

13. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    Having thought about it, I do and don't have a problem with it. Problems, problems. I think I'll just quit... thinking.

14. believer

believer GC Legend

Jun 2, 2007
    I personally don’t like it. Football is a team sport, and doing this is basically abandoning your team for personal gain. I guess I’m old school. Now it’s every man for himself. This appears to be a thing now. College football won’t look the same in a few years. I’ll decide to watch or not when that time comes. As an adult human, there are always other things to do with my time on a Saturday.

Edit: Come to think of it, football in general is becoming more and more background noise while I do other things. The exception is the Gators. When the players begin abandoning ship when things are going badly, maybe the fans should follow suit.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    No problem with this at all, their coach was fired. Not saying that was a bad move or anything, but this was an obvious side effect of that. Two other players are going to be grateful for the opportunity to compete.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Like Like x 1
  16. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    I wonder how Rutgers, the flagship university of New Jersey, could get (and stay) in such a rut. Is high school football in New Jersey that bad or what? The winters up there may be bad, but they're also bad in Ohio, Michigan, etc. I guess they're looking forward to the second coming of Schiano, for whatever it's worth.

Remember when Galen Hall's Gators played Rutgers? The Gators got sufficiently ahead (Galen thought) that he pulled the starting QB for the second stringer. The game ended up in a tie (34-34, I think).

17. partdopy

partdopy All American

Feb 1, 2012
    One of the things I like about college sports and dislike about professional athletics is the fact that players typically have some sense of loyalty and pride in s school. You get to know the players over their 4-5 years there.

There's no loyalty in professional athletics. Hell, even teams abandon their city/state when advantageous to the team.

The more it looks like pro football the less I'll watch, and the less gear I'll buy. I'm definitely not important enough to affect the market and cause change, but I have been getting more time on Saturdays to do other things.

18. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    That's going to be the interesting part to me, especially the QB position where you're only playing one guy. The next guy at Houston is going to play 8 games and have twice the reps in Holgorsen's offense and still have 2 years eligibility, who is to say he doesn't beat out King when he returns. Sounds like Sitkowski was struggling to keep the job anyhow, playing less isn't going to help him next year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Personally, if the player "quits" on the team then the school can "quit" on the player. They started it and no one should be shocked that their scholarship was pulled.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  20. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    The AD fired the coach during the season. If an AD can make a business decision, so can those playing the game and essentially paying the AD and coaches salary. Structure is important, rules are important, but they can’t be one sided where ADs and coaches can move all the time, often breaking contracts, and the players have no ability to manage their future and career. By sitting out a year to preserve eligibility, many can graduate and get a MS degree as well.

• Winner Winner x 2