Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Montverde

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by tampajack1, Aug 8, 2019.

1. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Scottie Barnes is transferring to Montverde. Montverde will have Cunningham, Barnes and 8 or so other future high major players on their roster this coming season.

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. melrose12

melrose12 Premium Member

Jun 25, 2019
    Won't have so far to go to join the Gators!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2019
  3. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Thank you for the info. Tampa.

Regrettably kids going to Montverde does
    not really "help" the Gators does it?

A basketball factory with little to no interest to keep players in state?

I don't know how things work there but it sure doesn't seem like geography helps UF much.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    I think that we have gotten 4 players from Montverde (Hill, Frazier, Nembhard and Payne). Only Nembhard was from outside of Florida. Billy Donovan also signed Noah Dickerson, who was an out of state kid. It seems like our coaching staff has a good relationship with their coaching staff. So, it certainly doesn't hurt us that an out of state kid goes to a basketball factory in Florida. Other basketball factories in the state include IMG and Oldsmar Christian, and we have gotten a bunch of out of state players from those schools.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. phideltdj

phideltdj GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    Is Montverde a quality private school if your kid is not interested in basketball? I'm just curious if anyone in the area would recommend it for a normal student.

6. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    I am pretty sure that it is excellent academically.

7. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Thanks Tampajack 1
    My ignorance is showing, apologies-
    Upon reflection I think my perception is somewhat distorted by the fact Montverde and IMG are stacked with
    all those great players and we don’t
    ever seem to get our share however you have straightened me out on that.

It does seem to me that if UF had their pick of players from those two schools alone, UF would be in the final four constantly!

8. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    The only problem with getting kids from Montverde and IMG is that the great ones only stay for a year. Plus if the requirement to go to college for a year is done away with, the great ones will go straight to the pros. FYI, Isaiah Stokes and Keyontae Johnson both attended IMG. Bassett attended Oldsmar Christian as did Eric Hester.

9. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Heck - you know your H.S. team is pretty good when they are on TV playing for championships!

BTW, off topic but talking about HS Basketball- my boys from Crestview won the state title last season!

• Like Like x 1
  10. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    I kind of doubt it. Academics aren't their mission and they aren't very selective compared to other boarding schools or the selective admissions public high schools.

11. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    I sat next to a guy at the Gator home games whose son was going to school at Montverde. I got the impression from him that it was a high quality school. That was the basis for my previous post.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I can confirm the academics at Montverde are at a high level expectation. The school has high standards for the students to follow. Several scouts have told me if a kid is from Montverde playing on the best teams their academics must be in order. I used to do some business with Montverde and they held kids out of some functions if their grades weren't satisfactory. The prep teams are different for kids past HS so don't compare their academics to the main teams. IMG on the other hand is a complete opposite. Take that how you want.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Efawcett7

Efawcett7 Eric Fawcett VIP Member GC Columnist

Andrew Nembhard's father Claude told me the academics at Montverde were excellent and a big part of the reason they chose them over other top schools in the country.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. BigIgator25

BigIgator25 Premium Member

Oct 6, 2012
    charlotte
    Jaden Springer

15. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    What about him?

16. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Not a huge fan of these schools. CBA (Christian Brothers Academy) was in my division in high school. They "recruit" players.

We have done well with Montverde and I don't see any reason why that would change.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. ma3008

ma3008 Recruit

Mar 24, 2019
    In the early and mid-60's, I went to private school in Lake county called Howey Academy. Howey was in an athletic conference with Montverde. We usually beat them in basketball. My how things have changed.

• Like Like x 1
  18. nwbuf08

nwbuf08 VIP Member

Oct 25, 2017
    Titletown
    Can confirm that at least on the Montverde end, they would say they have a "great" relationship with Florida's staff.

Kevin Boyle, their HC, spent a good deal of time talking to our staff at the Montverde Tournament during shootaround and mentioned that he thinks White is one of the best young basketball minds in the country. He also is very fond of Coach Nichols.

• Like Like x 1
  19. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I know they have a strong international flavor, and don't know how that impacts admissions....but their academic reputations very strong. As others have mentioned, I know baseball players that have had to sit because of academics. It was not a free pass.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. tundragator

tundragator Sophomore

Oct 26, 2015
    Kid from our area in milwaukee is transferring to IMG. Recruiting at the high school level is a huge deal.