Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Montreal Rays?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by WESGATORS, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I don't understand. If the Tampa Bay Rays can get permission from MLB to explore Montreal, then why can't the Tampa Bay Rays get permission from MLB to explore East Tampa?

2. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    To me, rays and the city of tampa need to unearth a redevelopment plan Andres Duany did for the time when tampa/ Florida pursued the Olympics. It was a great plan to integrate multi-use, housing, dining, retail, etc with a stadium.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    No clue but that is what St Pete leaders allowed.

They even had a stadium design for Ybor City- another stupid dome this time made of glass. Facepalm!!!!!

In my opinion they need to look at the Astros’ and Mariners’ stadiums to be taught how to build retractable roof stadiums. Don’t look at Miami, don’t look at Milwaukee or the Diamondbacks, and most certainly don’t look at Toronto.

Literally just copy exactly what Seattle did for the Mariners. Drop that in downtown Tampa and you will have MLB there to last.

• Like Like x 3
  4. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Northern exposure: Behind Canada plan

A closer look at the possibilities involved with Rays’ plan to also play in Montreal

By Marc Topkin Tampa Bay Times
    ST. PETERSBUG — Would watching the Rays play along the St. Petersburg waterfront or amid booming downtown Tampa in an open-air 27,000-seat stadium that also hosted spring training and soccer games offset the frustration and, to use a French word, ennui, of seeing them leave each June to play the rest of their home games in Montreal?

There is still much we can’t determine about the latest plan for the Rays to go not just outside the box but historical norms and the actual country in splitting their schedule between new stadiums in two distinctly different homes, 1,500 miles apart, starting potentially in 2024.

Headline questions are the Nos. 1 and 2 starters:
    Are they pure in their motives of pitching the plan as a way to save baseball in Tampa Bay rather than using this as a negotiating ploy or a plot to leave totally?

Is there any chance of actually pulling this off, given that people around baseball — and even some of their own — acknowledge it will be a significant challenge, given a series of legal, financial, administrative and logistical hurdles that likely will grow?
    Northern exposure: Behind Canada plan

5. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
  6. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Sentinel Recap:
    RAYS
    Owner: Only choice is to split
    Associated Press
    ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — The principal owner of the Rays says it’s unrealistic for his team to play full time in the Tampa Bay area, and a shared season with Montreal is the best option.
    “I don’t see it happening in St. Petersburg and would be hard-pressed to see it working in Tampa from what I know,” Stu Sternberg said at a news conference Tuesday. “This is not a staged exit. This is about Tampa Bay keeping its hometown team and Montreal having one, too. I believe strongly in the sister-city concept. We’re asking for open minds.”

Commissioner Rob Manfred said last week the Rays have “broad permission to explore what’s available.” The Rays are averaging 14,546 fans a game, lowest in the American League and well below the MLB average of 27,360. Only the Marlins draw worse at 9,378.

“We are at or near the bottom in every economic category,” Sternberg said.
    Owner: Only choice is to split

7. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Rays to Tampa Bay....it's not us, it's you.

Just move, stop the long con game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. TJtheGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Doomed from the start. Same with the Marlins if it wasn’t for the two championships.

Too many fair-weather and northern fans in FL.

9. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    As the old saying goes—“3 strikes, you’re out!”

1) There’s a reason they have ST in Florida—it gets warm early—that means it gets stifling hot by the first of May.

2) You can’t expect fans to pack out the worst stadium in MLB.

3) Fans want to come to watch their team win—not be a doormat.

4) With today’s TV coverages between the going to a game expenses (tickets, parking, programs, food, drink, and before & after traffic hassles/aggravations) the options of watching at home with your own comforts, the big screen TVs at sports bars with “your” crowd, decent food and drink just makes other options easier than attending the game on a regular basis.

5) You get my point.....

10. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    Went to the Astros game last night. Going still holds appeal. I paid $30/ticket for row 4 in RF. Free parking (a 10 minute walk) because I know downtown Houston well.

The crowd was quite good considering the Stros were getting hammered.

Food choices were good. Temp was comfortable (retractable roof so AC!!!).

Obviously the concession costs are outrageous but worth it every once in a while. For my daughter and I, likely $110 for the night. A good daddy-daughter date.

But I can’t do that more than a couple times a year. So if you have those kinds of prices, you need a very large town to get 30K+ to attend. St Pete is nowhere near big enough. Miami is. Miami just needs a retractable roof. Tampa might be closer to being big enough but I would need to see some population plots which highlight the range necessary to get to a 2-3 million person number.

• Like Like x 1
  11. TJtheGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Where you been the past 7 years? Marlins Park has a retractable roof. It’s ugly, but it does the job.

Actually Marlins Park isn’t that bad. They re-did LF and got rid of the spinning dolphin statue. Some sightlines in the upper deck were not well planned but overall the stadium does its job. Surrounded by parking garages and the old Orange Bowl neighborhood but much better than what Joe Robbie provided.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. skz868992

skz868992 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    St Pete is just too hard to get to on a regular basis. The drive is always a crap shoot at rush hour. Tampa businesses just don’t value baseball enough to bite the bullet, clear the land and get a 35k stadium. Short sighted. Little to no mass transit and no long term vision.
    There’s a possibility that we will have a train from Orlando to Tampa at some point.
    I have to believe that a George Steinbrenner type with vision, clout and deep pockets could get it done. Sadly, I don’t think those types are out there.
    Coming soon, the X Rays.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    I knew they were building a new stadium but clearly I don’t follow the Marlins! It hasn’t helped the crowds. Interesting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. TJtheGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Head scratcher for sure. New stadium is close to downtown, accessible, and relatively affordable. But Miami has never been a great sports town.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    IIRC the Marlins roof is retractable, but there is hardly a day when you can retract it.

When I was an undergrad at IIT in Chicago in the early 1970's I could walk to Comiskey and pay $0.50 to sit in the centerfield bleachers or $0.75 to sit anywhere else in the outfield. I usually went to the centerfield bleachers because it was always the same group of crazy people that were a lot of fun. The bad thing was that the beer vendors never went there. I guess you needed that $0.25 upgrade for that.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Only partially true. It's a town, like many, that only supports winners. The Marlin's WS tickets were easily sold out. Same story for the Heat.
    I used to be a huge Marlin's fan, attended both WS, however, eventually got tired of the ownership selling off the top players every couple of years while they were making millions. I don't even watch anymore, much less attend games. I'm not alone among my friends.

A major problem in both Miami and Tampa is that the initial stadiums were terrible and in bad locations, killing the opportunity to grow a fan base. The new Marlin stadium is very nice, unfortunately putting it in Little Havana lost the Broward and palm beach mkt who have to travel down 95.
    Of course Loria liked it, he walked away with millions $$$$$$ when he sold the team. The city and taxpayers were left with the debt for an empty stadium.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    London, really???

I can’t believe Montreal or London either one would help the Tampa Bay Area fans grow closer to their team. Once again it simply comes down to the greed of the almighty dollar—

It appears ownership wants only to spread the expense of upgrades to others while keeping tight reins on profits—at least to this ol’ballplayer—

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Rays

A split season is a tough sell

Montreal fans know all about losing their team: Pain ‘doesn’t go away’

By John Romano Tampa Bay Times
    MONTREAL — The first thing you need to know about the world’s grandest museum dedicated to the Montreal Expos is that it’s also the world’s only museum dedicated to the Montreal Expos.

You could spend all day searching the streets and walls of this city and not find one statue, plaque or monument dedicated to the days of Les Expos. It’s as if residents were so disheartened by the team’s departure in 2004 that they vowed to wipe its history from their collective memories.

Perry Giannias went the other direction. A lifelong fan, he began collecting everything Expo-related. Hundreds of game-worn jerseys. Balls, photos, cleats, Gold Glove and Silver Slugger awards. Some items so rare that baseball’s Hall of Fame has borrowed them for exhibits. All this glory and sorrow discreetly tucked away in one man’s basement on a tree-lined suburban street.

So who will do that for the Tampa Bay Rays?

The question is not out of line. Many people see owner Stu Sternberg’s proposal to share the Rays with Montreal as a precursor to leaving Tampa Bay altogether. In Montreal, they are conspiratorially theorizing that the half-season plan will eventually become a permanent relocation.
    A split season is a tough sell