Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Mob attacks in Minneapolis

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by oragator1, Sep 16, 2019.

1. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    so it is just random that the victims were all white and the pos's that attacked them were all black? Really..this type of crap justification only emboldens them. So if gangs of white people attack outnumbered black or Hispanic or gay or lesbian people and pummel them it isn't a hate crime as long as they take something from their pocket? The hypocrisy is sickening

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  2. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I guess if we can find a time when that mob showed up outside a "neighborhood" night club and did the same thing to the drunken rubes who stagger out of the local dives then that would make them opportunistic.

IF they find that instance.

3. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Do you even know that all the victims are white or are you guessing at that? Because there have been a lot of these robberies, not just the ones shown in the videos.

I'm sorry that the law is such that they will only go to jail for the crimes that they committed. No, minorities and gay people are victims of non-hate crimes all the time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Following Spike In Violent Phone Robberies Downtown, Minneapolis Police Crack Down

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
  6. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    First, you don't know that it was only "middle class, white drunks." Interestingly, you made a pair of assumptions to make the victims your in-group without any actual indication that they are. As pointed out in the article, they appear to be doing this because they can get easy targets and then quickly sell the phones to kiosks without having to transport them long-distances.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. wgbgator

wgbgator Extremely Online Premium Member

Cause "middle class white drunk guys" probably aren't expecting to be victims of crime, easy marks. Anyways this all reminds me of the Seth Rich thing, a guy alone late at night in a sketchy area gets robbed. It cant be that simple can it? Must be a conspiracy or targeting!

• Like Like x 1
  8. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    No, wasn't trying to be cute at all. I just think as a society we tolerate inconsistency from the media. To put it bluntly, what is the criteria for when race labels are used in the committing of crimes? For you journalism majors, is there a standard for this? To this day, people still portray the Zimmerman-Martin encounter as racist, how is that different than the encounters we see in these videos? Perhaps I am mistaken, but if the skin colors of the perpetrators and the victims were reversed, this would be much bigger headlines with the use of race labels. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect consistency, either include it all the time or leave it out all the time (my preference) because otherwise you are manipulating the consumers (not that there are any laws against it, I just think it's unethical).

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    So you were trying to be cute but don't like it framed that way. Okay.

Zimmerman-Martin had a specific racial component. His reason for believing that Martin wasn't supposed to be in that neighborhood was racial. Thus, the racial aspect is fundamentally part of the story.

In this instance, I have seen no indication that race is a fundamental element of the story, unless your goal is to make some sort of point about racial proclivity towards criminal activity or something along those lines. Have you seen any indication that they were specifically choosing to commit crimes against a specific race rather than, as the media stories say, gang-related activity in which people are robbing people they view as soft targets and then quickly selling the phones to kiosks that apparently are willing to buy them? If not, then you have your answer as to why.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Okay, then let them go all "NFL" and recruit "one of those" to "prove" they aren't motivated by racial bias. At the end of it all, someone who is replying to this thread wants to believe the same thing as I - whatever is going around in our individual heads - and I am saying "you set up hate traps, you get what comes your way." And to me it is plain to say "sorry but that is the way the ball bounces." Maybe persons who "mean well" will do more thinking before passing laws such as hate crimes.

11. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Huh?

Huh?

Huh?

Literally none of this is a coherent thought.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. wgbgator

Oh good, it wasn't just me that was baffled.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    If you can't take my words at face value, I don't know why you bother asking me questions. Race is a sensitive topic; I wasn't going to go there unless there was interest...that's all. Thank you for providing the interest.

Link?

I respectfully disagree. Look at all the "white cop shoots black man" stories. How many of them contain a known racist angle?

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. wgbgator

There is definitely a racial angle here, because I don't even know why this is newsworthy outside of Minnesota unless your angle is scarring up some reactionary white folk.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    The statement about you just trying to be cute was not a question. You were trying to dance around what you really wanted to say without having to take on the burden of just saying it.

You have to believe that of all the times that Zimmerman saw "suspicious people," the only times that he called 911 (which was often) and described those people, they just happened to be black if you don't believe there was profiling there. Seems unlikely to be the case. Beyond that, he has shown racist actions since the trial as well (e.g., screaming at a restaurant manager that she was an N-word-lover). I think it is highly likely that race was involved in his classification of Martin as a "suspicious person" and his decision to follow him around the neighborhood.

Trayvon Martin and George Zimmerman: A portrait of the Retreat

Certainly, it is possible that this is a coincidence. But that possibility is somewhat limited by his actions afterwards.

The racial angle is specifically about the historic relationships between police and black communities and the fact that police are often not convicted of shooting or otherwise harming black suspects even when all elements are on tape (e.g., Rodney King and the Charleston shooting, where a mistrial happened due to a hung jury despite every element of the crime being on tape, including the officer's attempt to frame the victim).

So again, unless your goal is to make a more generalized racial statement (as the coverage around the officer shootings or killings tends to be a more generalized point), then it isn't appropriate here without some indication of a racial motivation.

• Like Like x 1
  16. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    If the victims were struck after having their wallet/phone etc. taken from them, I think there is a good chance hate crime could be included in the charges.

Most of these people are probably not going to go to trial so most of the charging decisions are just going to be made with an eye on making the defendants take a plea deal.

17. wgbgator

Why is there a "good chance" of that? You have to prove racial animus, and that alone isn't proof.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Sorry to confuse you. You want to believe what you want to believe. I am saying "if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck..." but in the end what is really the issue is that some "well meaning souls" thought it okay to make worse not the egregious behavior - robbery, assault - but the intent: to humiliate because you "hate." And so I say "welcome to the bizarro world you have wrought." You don't like the outcome: you are hating because your victims aren't "like you" and so you need to do some remedial work to "prove" you are not a hater. It may by bizarre but it is real.

19. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Attempted murder based on the veracity of the attacks I would argue.
    Someone down on the ground defenseless getting stomped.

Too bad the attacked wasn't carrying.

• Agree Agree x 7
  20. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    I could see attempted murder perhaps. I don't know the Minnesota law on that, but it was serious enough that it could, theoretically, apply.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1