Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

MLB netting

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by NitroSmoke, Jun 29, 2019.

1. NitroSmoke

NitroSmoke GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Well I guess since its the off-season a thread not Gator baseball related might be ok. What are everyone's thoughts on the MLB netting controversy going on right now? I watched the HBO Sports story on it and it really opened my eyes. One of the Dads in that story asked "so is a kid going to have to die for them to address this?". The analytics they are tracking with the exit velos should tell MLB these guys are murdering baseballs. My personal feeling is alot of people are glued to their phones and not paying attention and kids may be the worst culprit. What say ye???

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I have sat in MLB seats right behind the dugout on the first base side without netting. Long story about how I sat there, but I sat there for free.

You just have to be aware, especially with the righty/lefty batter situation. I didn't have to be as on my toes with a lefty, but with a righty I was glued to every pitch.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    As a dad, it's my problem. I can't imagine anybody choosing to sit in seats that leave you vulnerable and not having eyes glued to the ball when the game is in play.

From a business perspective, the netting is common sense EVEN IF liability is technically covered. The problem is, the further down the line you go (with netting), the harder it is to see. I think the netting at our softball field is a bit much out in the LF corner, but I certainly understand why it is there.

I don't think I would choose to sit in a seat like that with a young child. I'd have to drink coffee instead of beer.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Ticket purchaser assumes any and all risks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    100% agree here. You go to a MLB game I gotta think because you love the game and want to provide your family the same opportunities to enjoy the game as you do.

Sitting in exposed seats to live play is the responsibility of the person/people sitting there. It is (sad to say) exactly what our society has become—simply looking for someone to sue because they got hurt or scared from their own lack of competence and or good judgment.

If you’re there to watch the game, put the dang cell phone up and watch the game....

• Like Like x 1
  6. NitroSmoke

NitroSmoke GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    I would be curious to know the injuries from minor league parks. We go to the Rome Braves (Single A club) all the time and there isnt a bad seat in the house. But you have to be on your toes. I almost got hit by a BAT there one time. LOL

I tend to agree with everyone about it being my personal responsibility to protect my family - but it seems like the MLB is really exposing themselves to litigation-happy people. I know it has language on the ticket saying the purchaser assumes all risk - but its not like you signed a waiver. Most people probably dont even know its on there I bet.

7. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    Surprisingly all the post here are in line w/ my opinion...PAY ATTENTION!!

8. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Tampa
    It’s not surprising that the denizens of this forum agree that it is incumbent on the attendees to be responsible for their own and children’s safety. I was going to says ‘fans’ instead of ‘attendees’ but I suspect many of the people attending the games making the complaints are not so much fans of the game but, rather, just looking for entertainment. Those of us here go to a game to become involved in the actual game while a large portion of the population goes for the hotdogs and Cracker Jack.

I suspect MLB needs to cater, to some extent, to these people to get the revenue they provide. The result will probably be yet another extension of the safety netting to protect these people who are fighting hard against Darwin’s theory.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    I have sat with my daughter (now 5) in RF, 3rd base behind the dugout, LF line, and 1B about 50’ past the infield.

I have seen a few balls whiz past. Balls I would be very hard pressed to stop. Since the little one hit at the Stros game a few weeks back, I have re-evaluated and won’t sit that close anymore. I like the OF lines and the OF seats. Close enough to the action but still far safer than right behind the dugouts.

I would lean toward it is the person’s responsibility and baseball has been played for 100+ years. It isn’t like this is new. But I would argue that if MLB wants families to continue coming, increased safety would help. Money is still the primary driver in my opinion (along with game times being too late) but safety might influence some. Of course the added netting might detract some from coming who don’t have kids. Maybe some consumer polls would help??

• Like Like x 1
  10. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Families showing up at a MLB are not sitting in harms way unless they have friends with season tickets or they are going to a Marlins Or Rays game. Otherwise they are sitting way out in the outfield.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    :)

You can use any number of online ticket vendors. I do every time.

12. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    While I highly agree people should pay attention, I wonder what a dad could do that had more than 4 kids. I feel safe enough with me and my 2 kids if I sit between them. I believe I could cover anyone within 2 seats of me, at least from a head shot. But if I'm sitting down and had to react to a liner I don't think I'd do well out to that third seat. Hopefully baseball would consider the safety of large families. Otherwise large families could only sit in the outfield seats or not come at all. Imagine if the Duggars wanted to go to a game, they'd have to figure out which kids were worth the risk. I know that's a bad joke but common on man! There I said it.