Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Missing the hover option

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by anstro76, Sep 19, 2018.

1. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    A while back I bought a Lenovo Yoga 720 laptop. Websites like Gatorcountry that employ a preview of the thread as a ghost hover are gone, plus the lightning bolt for new threads. I heard it was because it also has touchscreen functionality. Anyone here know how to fix this or if it's even possible?

2. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Tampa
    Sadly, this feature seems to be a victim of the touch awareness of web browsers. The concept of a mouse cursor doesn't quite fit into a touchscreen so the browsers have to view the human interface differently. This is compounded by the fact that the developer of each web site has to implement various controls to react to the browser events. There is no universal 'hover' concept in the web world.

I am not expert on this stuff and could very well be wrong (again) but it seems hover is not going to be around. I base this on looking at many developer discussions on how to implement it and the consensus seems to be there is no good way to know if the human is actually 'hovering.'

It would be great if I were wrong, of course. Hovering was a great way to preview things.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. solari

solari GC Janitor VIP Member GC Staff

Agreed, when you switch to using a touch device, previews and such go away unfortunately...

Ray

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    Thanks for the info, lesson learned. I liked the size and speed of the laptop, but never use the touchscreen/folding tech. I think I'll skip the 2 in 1 next time around. It also wreaks havoc with downloading movies from my VUDU account to watch without WiFi.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1