Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Miss. St.looking at Grantham for HC.***EDIT***Mike Leach got the job

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GatorRider, Jan 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nostradamus

Nostradamus GC Legend

Sep 18, 2015
    I like Strong and have always respected him, biput I’d vote for an up and coming DC vs someone who’s on the downhill slope if his career.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Mississippi State: Word is the search could be honing in on Alabama offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian. Aaron Suttles reports there is “some real interest on both sides”. One source close to Sark told FootballScoop, “if they make a fair offer, he’ll take it.” If this deal goes down, they must by Mississippi law rename the town #SarkVegas.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    Aware of that fact. Where and who would you rather work for? Which HBC is likely to put you in a position to recruit high ranking players, win more big games and prepare yourself for the next step?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  4. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    This would be huge loss for the gump$, their O was spectacular under Sark. Doesn't hurt with all their 5* stacked everywhere. But would deal a HUGE blow imho.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. gator_lyn

gator_lyn All American

Oct 28, 2017
    Give credit to Mullen for making that Mississippi State brand a lot more respectable than what it was over 10 years ago. Their vacancies are getting attention of some pretty decent coaches

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    I'm sure living in starkville won't make him want to drink at all

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  7. mcorsair15

mcorsair15 GC Legend

Sep 2, 2018
    According to Gators breakdown not only would TG take CRob he would also take Brian Johnson to be his offensive coordinator. That’s 3 vacancies to fill and I’m not sure even Strong could do that. I hope we’re printing paper for these 2 right now and inking them to long term contracts. If Grantham goes and doesn’t take anyone from our current staff, so be it. But I’m not so sure I’d feel the same way if he took 2 of our best performers on staff with him

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    I'm sure I'll get totally blasted for even saying this but something tells me that Grantham may just not be a guy who's well suited to be a head coach. I don't mean that in a bad way. Some guys are just better at being a really good coordinator. Mickey Andrews comes to mind. I'd actually put Muschamp in that same camp.

Grantham has been coaching defenses now for 30 years and he's been very successful. He pretty clearly has some ambition to be a head coach but despite being mentioned as a candidate, he's always been passed over.

I have to wonder if part of what makes him a really good defensive coordinator, which is his drive and emotion, may be what keeps him from being a good head coach candidate. Him losing control of himself at times, like the incident with Vandy and the "choke", might put his ability to be the primary leader of a group of young men into question into question. He may be viewed as somebody who is more effective having somebody over him to keep him in check.

Again, this isn't meant as an insult to Grantham. If he doesn't land a head coaching job, I'd love to have him as our DC indefinitely. I think he and Mullen seem to work very well together. And if that's the case, he can make a pretty damn good living as a DC at UF.

• Agree Agree x 6
  9. beemerthegator

beemerthegator Senior

Dec 1, 2019
    I hope they hire Sarkisian. Leave Grantham alone. I think we would end up with an excellent D-coordinator, but it would be great to keep rolling with all our same coaches and not lose some key guys.

Sarkisian would be a great hire for MSU if he has gotten his substance abuse problem handled. Only time would tell whether he has beaten it once the pressure of a head coaching job hits him, but I'm sure he would have tons of support and people helping watch after him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. beemerthegator

beemerthegator Senior

Dec 1, 2019
    I agree they are just very different jobs with different skill sets. Sure a coordinator spot is good training to become a head coach, but success in one obviously doesn't always translate. There is no shame in being a great coordinator, but not head coach.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. melrose12

melrose12 All American

Jun 25, 2019
    What about Manuel,. Ex Gator seems to be on his way up. Has not been a DC but every one starts first year at somepoint.

12. GATOR_4Life

GATOR_4Life GC Legend

Aug 16, 2010
    Marietta, Ga
    I think we are stuck with Grantham...I don't think he would have been a good head coach for them, though I do think he loves that school which is something if you've been to Starksville. Not that he's completely out, but looks like he's the last resort guy and they really want a higher upside offensive coach.

Despite the staff turnover that would have likely come from Grantham taking a HC job, I was looking forward to a chance to update our schemes (more man and more dime) and improve our recruiting.

13. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    I like Grantham as our DC. I wasn't a big fan of the original hire, but I like him. I think his style of defense is fun to watch. I actually think his style of high-risk/high reward defense works well if you have a good offense to go with it, which I think we're on the verge of with Mullen in his 3rd year.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. GatorKenW

GatorKenW GC Legend

Dec 29, 2009
    Gainesville, FL

That was the first name I assumed they would go after with the criteria claimed. He's a talented coach and good Offensive guy who has been to Saban's school for wayward head coaches. I can't imagine Sark wants to not try to redeem himself.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. GatorKenW

GatorKenW GC Legend

Dec 29, 2009
    Gainesville, FL

Dime might be an issue with how devoted we've been to bringing in LBs and Bucks

16. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    If TG remains, the positives are our staff stays intact and their is continuity. I hope that he is PREPARING TO BEAT UGA from this point onward. I hope he sees the tape of how LSU defended their wr's utilizing man or press coverage. I hope he begins to realize you cannot beat better teams with using primarily zone coverage when good qbs will pick it apart. Unless we start beating uga, we will not be where we want to be. There's no trophy for coming in second. So, if he stays I hope at this point he is preparing his D to beat uga. No more third and Grantham.
    If he leaves, I know DM will find quality replacements. Most top coaches keep an eye out for potential replacements.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. MetaGator

MetaGator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It seems like if they wanted Grantham and he wanted the, it would be done by now. TG has now games to work on right now and there has been a dead period in recruiting. With a new name in Sark being added to the mix, it doesn't seem it is very likely that TG is going to Starkville.

• Agree Agree x 5
  18. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    Off the subject a bit but the entire coaching staff needs to be zeroing on defeating uga from day one. It's like OSU preparation for beating meatchicken they take it seriously. Until we get over that hurdle, we will remain the bridesmaid. I just don't know the coaches well enough to know how or when they begin to prepare for THAT game. But so far we are 0-2 and that is not acceptable. To be the man you've got to beat the man.

19. 21

21 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 24, 2007
    BIG GIGANTIC ENORMOUS FACTS ^^^^^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.