Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Minneapolis Cuts Police Budget, Almost Becomes Safer

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by chemgator, Jul 27, 2020.

1. wgbgator

wgbgator Tiny "Boop Squig" Shorterly Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    Its 100% clickbait in its presentation

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. pcamera01

pcamera01 GC Legend

Jul 21, 2020
    We need a "Whatever" emoji

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  3. pcamera01

pcamera01 GC Legend

Jul 21, 2020
    What about this from SC Senator Scott as a start? (seems like it was dismissed right away from the other side of the aisle)

https://www.postandcourier.com/poli...cle_fdfaedd8-b0a8-11ea-ab7c-ef46fac9bc56.html

Senate GOP Justice Act.Text

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Agree 100% and it’s not because of my disdain for unions. It’s because these unions in particular protect too many bad cops. It is not a stretch to make the point that at least two of the policemen on scene of George Floyd’s murder should have been off the force a long time ago and never be allowed to work in LE again.

Additionally, LE and teachers should be rated and paid based on their ability and skill. Not a “one size fits all” pay scale based on seniority.

I’ll stop now before I completely go off on unions.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. wgbgator

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    Ok, whatever

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  6. FeeBart

FeeBart I like When Gators Hit People! VIP Member Trusted GC Insider

Oct 20, 2013
    Scott’s full a shit, playing games and is not an honest player to go forward. His fake tears and sorrow can go in the trash with his farce of a bill. He’s all about about research committees/stalling the movement out.

As a country we have had committees and study groups for decades studying this to death. https://cops.usdoj.gov/pdf/taskforce/taskforce_finalreport.pdf

Democratic bill has action but does not address unions which is the biggest issue but Sotts bill is a distraction and poor attempt

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 4
  7. pcamera01

pcamera01 GC Legend

Jul 21, 2020
    Fee, Can I have bacon instead!

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I didn't realize I was up for the Presenter of the Year Award! I will have to work on my presentation, maybe come up with a marketing scheme. I could probably use a good agent to deal with all these issues, so the riff-raff don't bother a famous, yet modest, presenter working on perfecting his craft.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. jhenderson251

jhenderson251 Premium Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Unions obviously serve a legitimate purpose in theory by allowing large groups of workers to build a consensus amount of leverage with collective bargaining, but police unions are just another example that, instead of helping balance power between employers and the employed, many have just shifted to unbalanced leverage in the opposite direction.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. jhenderson251

jhenderson251 Premium Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I wouldn't worry about the last bit. Not a whole lot of public fanfare for Razzie winners.

11. wgbgator

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    Ultimately, the idea the cops are just ordinary workers, or even workers at all, is the main flaw of police unions. It would be silly to have unions for say, soldiers, who are also armed agents of state power.

12. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It is not click bait. Ever since George Floyd was killed, violent crimes have risen in many cities and it is a trend that has to stop. We need to remember that except for an uptick in violent crime in 2015-16, rates have dropped steadily since the early 1990’s and we need to get back on that track before things get out of control again.

13. RIP

RIP VIP Member

Feb 2, 2015
    It is click bait because the OP attributes this uptick in crime to the tiny budget cut (compared to the $193m budget).

• Winner Winner x 2
  14. mutz87

mutz87 #restinpowerrbg VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Exactly. And how do we know that any increase isn't simply the result of continued unrest and anger among those likely to commit crime?

This type of thread is what attribution bias is made of.

• Winner Winner x 2
  15. metalcoater

metalcoater GC Legend

May 30, 2007
    Define plenty, if you have 5,000 police in your city what percentage are bad cops.

16. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Maybe a city with increasing crime should INCREASE their budget to fight crime. Maybe decreasing the budget, even a small amount, is the wrong thing to do. It definitely sends a message to the officers who are expected to risk their lives trying to fight crime. I'm sure that most of the officers are demoralized by the association with one of their own who turned out to be a killer, and then demoralized further by all of the hostility from a significant percentage of the public. The budget cut, even if it is only overtime, is an indication of a lack of support from the city at a time when ideas are being floated about replacing the police force.

If you are at neutral buoyancy with your head just above water, and your density increases even 1%, guess what? You are going to sink. It is foolish to pretend that you get linear response from your crimefighting efforts with the money you spend on the police force. The job just got a lot harder and more dangerous, and the budget was cut. You don't need to be a Ph.D. in Psychology to understand that the net result is a demotivated police force and a free-for-all for criminals.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  17. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    "I came here for an argument."

"Ahh, the Ministry of Arguments is down the hall. This is the Ministry of Abuse."

• Funny Funny x 3
  18. FeeBart

FeeBart I like When Gators Hit People! VIP Member Trusted GC Insider

Oct 20, 2013
    1. You make the assumption criminals give a damn about city budgets.
    2. Policing pretty much is an after crime practice of investigation and apprehensions so how do you equate any rise or fall in budget to crime prevention.
    3. Ever think 1.5 million in enterprise Zones/loans developing local businesses would be a better investment?
    4. You don’t have to be a PhD to understand beating on poor people ain’t the answer. Fix the problem not the symptoms

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  19. mutz87

mutz87 #restinpowerrbg VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    They cut less than 1% of the entire budget just last week and you go off the deep end thinking this was the cause?

How about things have been on edge because of the Floyd killing?

That a very recent budget cut has zero to do with increased shootings?

• Winner Winner x 3
  20. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Yawn.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1