Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Mike White

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by mcorsair15, Jan 30, 2020.

1. 33hoop

33hoop VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    All we do know is that he has underachieved with this team and has been a huge disappointment to the fans.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    Winning would cure all of our ills. If he can't figure out how to do that then they'll have to find someone who can.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    I’d rather CMW focused on the team, tactics & strategy, game prep and etc, ...than worried about fan opinions. Worrying about fans - and our individual opinions - can make a coach bounce around like a pin-ball. Block out “the noise”, stay focused. Get a damn win!

now, doing some self and staff evaluations - how to improve there would be worthy.

reading “stuff” that could be of benefit - stuff that is constructive (e.g @Efawcett7 articles): that could certainly help.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. easycoastgator

easycoastgator Sophomore

Dec 26, 2018
    I'm not sure a good coach, or any coach, should be reading or listening to the opinions of the fanbase. His focus should be, and rightfully is, on coaching the team the best he can. Whether that will translate into wins we'll have to wait and see.
    Trust me though, if you think things are bad now, you dang sure don't want a coach who's self esteem ebbs and flows with the opinions of twitter and this discussion board

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 7
  5. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. jareduf

jareduf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Bala Cynwyd, PA
    Never a good thing when the majority of the fanbase turns on a coach. While there are still some defenders of Mike White out there, they are now in the minority. I can't think of too many times in this situation that it's worked out for a coach, but I'm still hopeful it will.

I will say that Mike White has seemed open to making changes, so there's a possibility he gets this turned around, but he's going to have to figure it out in a hurry. I desperately want Florida basketball to do well so I am of course rooting for Mike White, but I think the clock has begun ticking after the last game.

Fingers crossed for tonight's game.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    If Gators lose tonight, very likely to see a coaching change at end of the season.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  8. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Nah, I'm definitely in the camp that has gone negative on White, but no coach is going to acknowledge "the noise in the system" or address those people directly. That's basically standard coachspeak, and I have no problem with it as generally there isn't really anything to say.

The guy obviously realizes there is an issue, and hell they even claimed to totally scrap what they were doing on offense weeks back. So I dont think he's saying he's just going to keep doing what isn't working, but there is a certain reality that you can't just "install a new offense" in the middle of the season. So it was actually bizarre to me when he said that. I just think the problems are deeper (though I do think the ddo is an abomination), it probably goes to every aspect of preparation, from the assistants in charge of the film room to how they go about game planning as well as in game adjustments. He just might not really have a clear answer, which is a problem, but obviously if the guy had the answers the same issues on offense wouldn't persist and reappear like they have.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    Ron Zook says hi!

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. GolphinGator

GolphinGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Gainesville/ Micanopy
    Seems some here think he should read their post and follow their advice because they have more basketball knowledge and better coaching ability.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. fda92045

fda92045 All American

Feb 19, 2012
    Don't think any of us think that lol. If any of us were coaching we'd be 0-20

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    I am cheering for the Gators and Mike White, balls to the wall!
    I really hope CMW turns it around and succeeds here. (*fingers crossed)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. tundragator

tundragator GC Legend

Oct 26, 2015
    I don’t think the vast majority are rooting against Mike, but they have just come to the realization that rooting for and hoping will not produce results. Unless he makes drastic staff changes and humbles himself to bringing in other voices, I see nothing that makes me believe the program is heading in the correct direction.

If that is the case, a change must occur for the program, the players, the fans, and even for Mike.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 VIP Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Hire an offensive guru in the offseason and buy some time. Who knows, that could put us over the hump and help White keep his job

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Gatuar

Gatuar GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2008
    Ponte Vedra Beach
    Don’t think I’ve commented on White since he took over ...think he lacks the fire players need to feel a little fear factor (and maybe refs too)

He might just be too nice a guy

16. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    lets talk in March. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  17. tundragator

tundragator GC Legend

Oct 26, 2015
    Yeah going to be exciting filling out my NIT brackets this year. Selection Monday!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    According to the announcers we are still in the Big Dance as of right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. murphree_hall

murphree_hall All American

Jul 11, 2019
    I'd be at least 1-19.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007

To each his own. I prefer the ncaa tourney, and have a tough time getting enthused by the NIT. I don't fill out an NIT bracket.

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1