Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Mike White - post game comments UT

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Jan 12, 2019 at 8:57 PM.

1. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Typing as I listen . . .

We played hard,but not hard enough... it was a game we should have won and were in position to win. We had a few of these games where we don't make the right plays down the stretch and the other team does. We are at home... great environment. We did enough offensively for this group. Not as sharp defensively against a team so difficult to defend.

Grant and Schofield were terrific. Huge plays down the stretch. They are one of best 1-2 punches in the country. Alexander had huge rebounds and Bowden was huge down the stretch.

We struggled to score from some other wing spots. KA has had two good games in a row and has been aggressive.

We are not good enough to get little production from the rest of our backcourt. We need 6 or 8 guys to give us production. That falls on me -- we gotta figure some stuff out.

We gave in at the end.. the score was not indicative. That said.. they made big shots and we couldn't get a stop late. If not williams... it was bowden. If it wasn't a buket it was an offensive rebound. We had a couple poor decisions and a couple pick 6s that stretched it out.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  2. gatordavisl

gatordavisl GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Thanks Brent. This is unrelated to Coach White's comments, but something has to be done about Stone. I missed the start of the game, but it looks like he went with a four-guard lineup to start the game, leaving Stone out. I don't mean to be harsh, but that's a good start. Until the lightbulb goes on, Johnson/Ballard should should take nearly all of Stone's minutes, imo.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  3. hatter18

hatter18 Sophomore

Dec 9, 2018
    It is about way more than playing hard as far as what we lack and why we aren't good, but White seems to fail to realize that. It takes a game plan, an identity, execution, and in game coaching. White seems to think we can just effort our way to wins in the SEC, which just isn't true, not at all

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  4. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007

And you seem to think the team can just effort itself into the identity you want. It can't.

The team . . .as pointed out during the broadcast . . . is a spread the floor, drive-and-kick team.

Is that ideal? Nope. But that IS the reality.

Now, WHY is that the reality. Well. . . we have the following bigs on this team: Hayes, Gak, Bassett and Stokes.

White NEEDED to recruit for those spots in his first couple seasons, but unfortunately was not in position to land elite-level players. He tried. Remember Tyler Cook? He'd be a nice addition to this team.

We are undeniably feeling the effect of those first two recruiting cycles. . . which have been a mix of under-performing players, washouts and injuries. Is that on White? Sure. . .I guess. But did anyone expect him to step in and immediately pull top classes? Especially top bigs?!?!?

I didn't. But I am encouraged to see his recruiting abilities when given the needed time.

We don't have good offensive players on the interior. And certainly not good, healthy ones. We will.

Some posters have been very quick to make assessments --- "White doesn't prioritize shooting", "White can't recruit at this level", etc. etc.

Those questions have been answered and largely dismissed.

The question now . . . now that he has his footing as it relates to recruiting, and now that his front line is starting to turnover . . . is, "can he land really good bigs?".

He landed Omar Payne.

Let's talk again in June. . .

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  5. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    I agree with your post and Payne is a good big but not known for offense. We need bigs that can score, White better get at least one or his seat gets red hot next season. Especially considering that this season is gonna be a big disappointment and most likely won’t make the NCAA tourney.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Payne will be similar to Hayes as a defender and shot blocker. As a freshman he will be better than Hayes as a freshman. Recall Hayes was playing behind Egbunu when he first got here. Payne is a better finisher than Hayes so that will be an improvement but know now CMW will still need another good big man that can score and box out. Is that Stokes? Too early to tell.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    To give Coach White credit I thought his second half defensive adjustments worked well from about the 15 minutes to go until about the 6 minutes to go. We had that quasi collapsing 1-3-1 for the first 15 seconds and then the quick man-to-man adjustment at the under 15 seconds really kept UT in check on offense. UT struggled how to attack it and got out of sink making them force some shots or commit turnovers. Once they figured out the jump pass cross court with the quick penetration and a dump down, they started breaking down our D. With 5 minutes to go CMW went back to mainly a man D and our offense went to sleep. I feel he should have made some other adjustment on D, maybe another zone or press, but we needed some other defensive change up to keep us in the game. Once UT got back to scoring it allowed them to set up their D and our offense died.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. tc7

tc7 Freshman

May 5, 2015
    This is something I pointed out last year and aka disputed. We missed on decent bigs particularly cook in whites 1st few years and were feeling the effects of it now. But coach white seems to be addressing that.And apparently we've got a top 40 big man signed now and may add another.
    This season is gonna be a rough one . But the young guys are gonna grow. We've got a heck of a young core here with a top 5 recruiting class coming. I just hope some of you guys could see the big picture here.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. jmac83

jmac83 GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    Did any of the scribes ask why Stokes has been planted on the pine for the last two games? Absent another injury or an issue requiring a message from the head coach, it's hard for me to fathom how he could be completely out of the rotation. There was nothing so unique about the SC and UT match-ups that would disqualify him altogether.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    I think it’s an issue requiring a message. In a recent practice update, Coach was talking about how he knows what he will get in practice from only 3 guys...Hayes, AN and Locke.

He then clarified ... saying that he also knows what he will get from stokes, “and it isn’t enough”.

That wasn’t too subtle.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019 at 11:47 AM
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. jmac83

jmac83 GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    No, it was not. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  12. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator Premium Member

Mar 5, 2017
    This is part of what I dislike about White. Stokes can't possibly be worse than Hayes or Stone. Set aside your ego and play your best players. Last night we lost because we got absolutely killed down low. We can't keep having games where our starting PF and C don't score a single field goal. We already lost our best post player due to transfer because for whatever reason we never played him.

13. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    If someone is slacking in practice, do you want to reward him?

To me, break the rules: hit the bench.
    Slack in practice: hit the bench.
    Do something boneheaded: find the pine...

You may lose in the short run, but gain in the long-term.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 4
  14. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Amen, can't wait any deeper in the schedule to send a message...

15. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    We do not have knowledge of what goes on in practice, but White made very clear that Hayes busts his ass ... while the opposite can be said for stokes.
    There is a reason stokes was so overweight and out of shape... and why he largely remains that way. White can’t entirely abandon work ethic and expectations because a kid has some natural skill.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    That's great and all but in that process he's losing this team. I think he's losing in both runs in this case, and I think it's that time where we can't continue to make excuses for him because he's young. First class he signed was worthless. Second class is now deteriorating to the point where 3/4 of them might transfer out by the start of next season because they're not living up to White's standard in practice. Not to mention that he's mentally drained Hudson of all his swagger, just benched Allen late for whatever reason, Stone is now completely worthless, and Hayes can't perform fundamental moves. And now Nembhard is getting worse. Am I missing anyone? I'm not talking former players, I'm talking players currently on the team.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    If effort produced points in games I'd agree with that strategy. Stokes looked like he just turned a corner in his play and then he gets 0 minutes the next two games? This is how players leave. We already lost Chase, losing Stokes would mean that the two guys we were counting on leading our post play are gone and we'd have zip in terms of post play. I've seen Omar, he's two years away from being an effective big man. If we can't get a guy somewhere, we're going to be forced to play with Stone and Bassett. Well good luck getting Gator nation down for another season of that. I was all for White leading us, but not if he's going to ride players off the team constantly.

18. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    I don't understand.

Are you suggesting White should allow a player to entirely half-ass it in practice and workouts . . . out of fear of losing the player?

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    You say we don’t know what’s going on in practices then say Stokes is half-ass in practice. You’re guessing that he’s been that way due to his weight. From a year ago he looks 100% better. He’s exceeded my expectations. However he’s performing in practice should really not matter. Hudson was apparently a boss in practice only to be invisible this last game. 1-7 from the guy who worked out with the Lakers, inexcusable by both player and coach.

20. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    Am I advocating for anyone to play without a care in practice? No that’s not what I was saying at all, that’s a lazy way to argue against someone who makes the point that we need to play our best in-game performers.

• Funny Funny x 1