Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Mike Pence doesn't have a good record when it comes to outbreaks

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by WarDamnGator, Feb 27, 2020.

1. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    You just don't get it. Yes or no, if the Indiana state government stops ending out needless, does the drug use rate change? Yes or no, if the government hand out needles, does the HIV transmission rate go down?

Nobody is saying it's Pence's fault that drug users who shared needles got HIV. But when Pence stopped the needle program, the drug use rate stayed the same, but HIV rates went up. So what's the positive of stopping the needle program?

2. cluckugator

cluckugator VIP Member

Aug 16, 2007
    You snort a line of blow before typing that? Calm down.

Let’s remove all morality from the equitation and just talk all mighty dollar. A needle cost $.97. The cost to treat an HIV patient is $14,000 per year. Do you think a heroin addict has good insurance or is on Medicaid?

Average person with HIV lives well over a decade. Who pays for that besides tax payouts. Your morality argument is also wrong as addiction is a disease, but that is over your head.

Prove me wrong that a needle exchange program doesn’t save tax dollars.

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. cluckugator

cluckugator VIP Member

Aug 16, 2007
    I just did some basic math. Eagerly awaiting the response. Numbers make it hard to have dumb opinions.

• Like Like x 1
  4. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    One minute, Trump is supposed to delegate to the brightest doctors in the U.S. Next minute, he's supposed to be living and sleeping in the Situation Room 24/7, because 14 people have a cold.

Some of the posts on this board really disappoint me coming from fellow Gators.

5. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    And those who can’t see how silly it was to meet with these 2 in the first place, let alone on one of the most important days of his presidency disappoint me too, but such is life.

6. LouisvilleGator

Oct 16, 2012
    Perhaps you should calm down and read what I wrote next time, because I've already addressed the cost versus morality issue. It is 100% a morality issue and no, the taxpayer should not be buying needles for people to shoot up heroin. You can twist, turn or juxtapose it any way you want. It doesn't matter if you can buy 10,000 needles for a penny. Bottom line is taxpayer money should never be used to fund someone's heroin addiction.

7. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Trump, purportedly the POTUS, is sending out misinformation on the virus, silencing the top doctors who correct his misinformation, and wasting his time during all this meeting with fake internet celebrities.

If only he would just delegate the job to the professionals and "be silent". But no, that is something he cannot do.

8. LouisvilleGator

Oct 16, 2012
    He is a private citizen. He can meet with whomever he wants. It doesn't matter if you like it or not. He doesn't answer to you for whom he meets with in his private life and he doesn't need to be glued to the Situation Room 24/7 because 14 people have a cold.

9. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    there is certainly a morality argument to be made, but the cost issue isn’t the cost of the needles, it’s how much money, property theft, insurance costs from HIV hepatitis and other diseases, etc it saves tax payers to do it. Reasonable people can object, but these folks aren’t doing heroin because the government gave them a needle. There’s a reason the Pence eventually caved and reinstated large chunks of the program.

10. LouisvilleGator

Oct 16, 2012
    Now we're back to he should delegate again and leave it to others, lol. Why don't you guys get together and come up with a coherent itinerary (ie one that doesn't change every 2 minutes) for the president tomorrow and send it over to Mulvaney.

11. LouisvilleGator

Oct 16, 2012
    And as I've already stated, I don't care what Pence did. Taxpayer dollars should never be used to buy needles for people to shoot up heroin. Period.

12. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    His take is modern conservatism in a nutshell.

Some weird nonsensical morality (which really isn't even moral at all, nor is it conservative), over actual common sense and logic, which would be conservative. I mean he is being informed of Pence's mistake, and how Pence corrected that mistake Doesn't matter. It's just about punishing the junkies. Let the HIV flow!

It's hard to explain really. But my take at this point, since the Trump Republican party seems truly to mostly represent the deplorables that Clinton talked about, who must all be miserable people, it seems to me they just need to try and make sure there is somebody beneath them. So by golly, we have to make sure those junkies suffer! Best medical practices be damned. It's really sick.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I think the POTUS should be locked up by his staff, in a padded room and out of public view until his term expires. For the good of the country. I don't think I've ever changed my position on that.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Sp you would rather spend thousands more of taxpayer money on treating HIV because they didn't have clean needles?

It's nice to live in a black and white world, but reality often has shades of gray. And either you spend pennies on needles and limit the spread of HIV, or spend thousands treading those with HIV that may have been preventable. What's the better, more moral choice?

15. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Wow. There is so much wrong here that it doesn’t even deserve a response, I will let this speak for itself.

16. cluckugator

cluckugator VIP Member

Aug 16, 2007
    The government is not funding their addiction. They are proactively treating a side effect of a debilitating addiction.

Your preferred path gives people AIDS, costs more for the tax payers and further destroys families and communities.

That is the dumbest argument I have ever heard. If you don’t think addiction is a disease, fine. Let’s say it’s a moral failure. If the government could pay for a drunk to take a cab instead of killing a kid driving home after taking 15 shots, would you not support the cab fare bc excessive drinking is a moral failure.

Just for fun if the government stops paying for people who fail morally, Trump better get his planes back from his creditors. No more Air Force One, Free Housing or “hand out salary” for that walking failure.

17. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    well they could be rounded up and
    perhaps his proposed "solution" is to put them in camps or let them die in the streets. What he is not realizing is we pay for it either way, some ways are far more expensive than others both in money and human terms.

18. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Clearly trump just wants to control the info flow on this. If this blows away, trump takes credit, if not Pence is the fall guy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    That's actually a good example.

Back in my day at UF, there was a thing called "Later Gator" (which apparantly still exists). It was a bus which would basically take you to the bars downtown. It was free. The reason for it was obviously to stop students from drinking and driving.

By the same logic, the government (UF) shouldn't be driving kids to the bars, because morally they should not be getting drunk in the 1st place.

But no, that would obviously be a stupid moral argument. It's letting some petty morality win over a greater morality. The greater morality is obviously to save lives. Any sane person can see that. But Trump logic relies on the petty and vindictive thought that goes on in certain minds.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    That was my immediate thought when he put Pence in charge. I mean... it's obvious. Pence has his own fall guy too of course.

They wouldn't need a fall guy if they just stopped making shit up, and let the CDC guys do all the talking based on real science. But sociopaths don't think like that.

• Agree Agree x 2