Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Mike Pence doesn't have a good record when it comes to outbreaks

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by WarDamnGator, Feb 27, 2020.

1. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    Even if I agreed with you, which I clearly don't, the thread was created under false pretenses for the simple fact that people can contract Covid-19 through no fault of their own, simply by living their daily lives and without engaging in high risk activities, whereas you HAVE to engage in high risk activity to contract HIV these days. Mike Pence did not cause those people to engage in high risk activity, so the original post is stupid on its face.

• Like Like x 1
  2. LouisvilleGator

Oct 16, 2012
    Regardless of what Pence did or didn't do, I repeat.... I-T I-S N-O-T I-N-C-U-M-B-E-N-T U-P-O-N J-O-H-N Q T-A-X-P-A-Y-E-R T-O S-U-P-P-L-Y H-E-R-O-I-N A-D-D-I-C-T-S T-H-E-I-R N-E-E-D-L-E-S.

3. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Surprise, surprise, I actually agree with you in one respect. The discussion on whether Mike Pence's policy with respect to providing needles to drug addicts to reduce the spread of HIV is off-topic for this thread. That being said Pence is totally unqualified to head a task-force on limiting the spread of the Covid-19 virus, someone with medical credentials should be filling the position. On the other hand, perhaps not surprising since he designated his son-in-law, an individual with no foreign policy experience, to negotiate an Middle East Peace agreement.

4. LouisvilleGator

Oct 16, 2012
    Maybe John Q Taxpayer should start paying for addicts' heroin, because you never know when that street heroin can be laced with something deadly like Fentanyl and we have to protect addicts from themselves by buying them the real shit.

5. LouisvilleGator

Oct 16, 2012
    Gee, that's some real enlightenment, thank you. Mike Pence, former governor of a state, is incapable of administering a program for 14 sick people. Got it. Thank you for dropping the knowledge. You probably even came up with it all on your own.

6. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Actually, the point of the thread is to show that Pence makes bad decisions, not just mishandling an outbreak, but literally causing the outbreak. The stupid part of this thread is reading opinions from people who deny it. If you need proof it was poor decision making on Pence's part, all you need to know is that he solved the problem he created by restoring the program he cancelled.

7. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    No need for the taxpayer to pay for it.

A better solution would be to make it legal and let a legitimate business produce a clean product for market.

8. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Nobody here is arguing that it is a right. We are discussing the effectiveness of the program as a tool to fight a public health issue. Pence eventually came to recognize the program's value, after "the right" people began being affected, of course. To your point on addiction rates, there is no empirical evidence to back that it increases addiction rates and there is some empirical evidence that it improves the cases of more challenging drug addicts such that they begin to look like less challenging drug addicts in terms of treatment.

9. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    What Pence proved, once again, that where there is demand, there will be a supply. The demand for heroin did not decrease one iota because the government stopped providing clean needles. What did increase was the "supply" of used needles that carried the HIV virus, thus increasing the number of HIV positive people in Indiana.

The government does not have to supply clean needles for drug users, and yes, the best way to not get HIV from drug use is not use drugs in the first place. Nobody is arguing otherwise. But there's the pragmatic side to the debate that also states that addicts are going to get their next fix, one way or another, and it is not only better for them to have clean needles, but also better for the state to supply said needles, The cost of clean needles is much less than treating HIV patients, and the chance of a drug addicted person getting clean and living a long, productive life is higher when they are not HIV positive.

Not sure what Pence did regarding the needles/HIV issue is going to mean when he attempts to manage the corona virus. But in the needle/HIV case, Pence did make a choice based on wishful thinking and poor judgement if he believed a lack of clean needles would stop anyone from taking drugs, and it does call his decision making into question.

10. LouisvilleGator

Oct 16, 2012
    Yes, I fully realize that you are in complete denial. It was Pence who made the bad decisions, not the people who bought illegal drugs and shot up with dangerous chemicals in their bodies. And it was Pence who caused the outbreak, not the people who were engaging in very high risk behavior (on a number of levels) who would have otherwise remained HIV negative had they not engaged in said very high risk activity. Liberalism at its finest, right there.

11. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    The only “complete denial” I see in this thread is someone trying to argue that Pence’s failed policy was a good thing. He likely went against volumes and decades of research on the topic, expert opinions, and emerpical evidence of the program working, to create his HIV outbreak. It was such a miserable and complete failure that he ending it on his own ... so I can at least give him credit for not being so married to his own stupidity to keep believing it was a winning idea, which is more than I can say for some of his supporters.

12. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    What if Pence getting elected led them to a life of despair and needle use? Kentucky has luckily mitigated this problem by ousting Bevin.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Perfect example of a strawman. Nobody is arguing that being addicted to drugs is a good decision. The issue is that it is a bad decision compounded by another bad decision. If the alternatives for running this initiative were Mike Pence and an Indiana-based IDU, I think that Mike Pence would probably be the better choice. However, I would think that we have better options out there than either of those options. People with the necessary background to understand empirical realities before having them blow up in their face (or more accurately in somebody else's face).

14. gaterzfan

gaterzfan Senior

Feb 6, 2020
    There are 91 other counties in Indiana. What was their experience with HIV compared to Scott?

15. LouisvilleGator

Oct 16, 2012
    It doesn't matter. We have to blame Pence for other people making shitty decisions. This thread is a perfect example of why I'm a conservative. One of the main hallmarks of liberalism is to blame others when things go badly for you; never accept any personal responsibility for your lot in life. You get HIV from shooting up drugs? It's the governor's fault. Somebody's always out to get you. The deck is always stacked against you. It's always someone else's fault. Your current day liberal.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  16. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    But, presumably, you voted for Trump and will vote for him again even though he blames everyone but himself for everything under the sun. And I doubt that you’re a conservative because a conservative wouldn’t support Trump.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. Kirby

Kirby GC Legend

Sep 14, 2009
    Rocket City
    So are you advocating Pence give out free needles to those infected with the corona virus? I’m confused....

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    I'll pray for you so, so that maybe someday you'll be able to follow along and be less confused.

19. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I think it's obvious what Trump is doing by naming Pence to head the task force on the coronavirus. Pence's job will simply be to help control the narrative. Anything that the task force medical experts have to say to the American people about the virus has to go through Pence, so that nothing will come out that Trump doesn't like. We all know that truth and facts don't mean crap to Trump, even if it means people could die. It's the same reason Trump has installed his sycophant Grenell as head of national intelligence. It's so Trump will only hear what he wants to hear from the intelligence community, as it all has to be filtered through Grenell. This kind of control over things is all part of laying the groundwork for an authoritarian state, as this country appears incapable of stopping it from happening.

20. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    while Pence was busy trying it stop the spread of the most dangerous virus in at least the last decade, the stick market was having its worst single day point drop ever and is now down 12 percent in just a few days, what do you suppose Trump was doing? Seriously, this is true, he was meeting with Dean Cain and Kristy Swanson, who created a movie about the FBI lovers that have wronged him.

Trump met with 'FBI lovers' actors and Diamond and Silk during coronavirus panic | Daily Mail Online