Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Michigan, Washington, Texas, Alabama are IN! (CFP selections)

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by oneatatime, Dec 2, 2023.

1. WindoverG8tr

WindoverG8tr GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Strictly best teams, at this point in the season
    Bama
    Texas
    Ga
    Washington/Michigan

Bama over Texas now cause Milroe has hit his stride
    Ga drops down-injuries and a little less ferocious on D than previous two years.
    Washington great offense, marginal defense
    Michigan super soft schedule, cheaters were caught and Big 10 always over rated.
    FSU is playing in ACC all season hiding their weaknesses. Travis Jordan saved them several times, but even if he was healthy and playing, all of my
    top five would beat them.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2023
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    some good arguments, but sticking with what I said at the start

Michigan, Washington, Texas and Alabama

no Georgia no FSU

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I wouldn't mind FSU getting in, just to see them get stomped.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I like the idea of Michigan 1, Washington 2, Texas 3, Bama 4. Let FSU and UGa play the "Whoops, we got it Wrong Bowl" in New Orleans. It makes the most sense to me.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    That’s what I think we will see but I’m not so sure that Bama and Georgia would beat them all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    If above happens, Holes will be playing for mythical UCF title. Butt sniffers may not show up as it will be a major letdown for them considering the past 3 years performance.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. phideltgator

phideltgator Senior

Oct 10, 2013
    miami
    There is a better chance for me flying my piper cub to the moon than FSU winning the NC.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Do you know who will not show up at all? Travis, at least on the field. UGa's walk-ons should get a LOT of playing time in that game and win going away. The only thing that could happen IMO, is that FSU's pass rush is effective. Otherwise, not much of a game.

9. CadGator

CadGator All American

Nov 17, 2008
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Your mouth to God's ears!

10. GatorKnight5

GatorKnight5 Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    I don’t see a situation where they put an SEC team in

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  11. Bryan85

Bryan85 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 27, 2007
    CFP executive director, Bill Hancock's answer to the question about if the best four teams or most deserving teams should be selected.

Should the four best or most deserving teams make the CFP? Based on what executive director Bill Hancock said to reporters on Tuesday, the answer is emphatic: The best.

Hancock actually went so far as to dismiss the notion that the “most deserving” is a concept the committee even considers. His answer was as brief as it was certain.

“I appreciate your asking that question. It is best. Most deserving is not anything in the committee’s lexicon. They are to rank the best teams in order, and that’s what they do. Just keep that word in mind: best teams,” Hancock said.

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  12. crl

crl GC Legend

Nov 8, 2008
    This is what I would like to happen but it won't. But I would be ecstatic if just the mutts got left out. Gumps would be a bonus. :D

• Like Like x 1
  13. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    They say that, but If that was the case then most would still have UGA #1… or 2 at worst, and I can’t see that happening. Losing has to have consequences. The conference championship game has always seemed to be a pseudo first round playoff game anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Here is this year's selection committee: 2023-24 Selection Committee Roster - College Football Playoff
    Warren Nolan's ELO SOS: ELO Strength of Schedule (SOS) - FBSCollege Football | WarrenNolan.com
    Note - Alabama #2 SOS, Texas #11 SOS, Washington #20 SOS, Georgia #28 SOS, Ohio State #32 SOS, Miochigan #56 SOS, Florida State #83 SOS

Here's my opinion - for what it's worth. I think the 4 best teams, talent-wise on both sides of the ball, are: Michigan, Ohio State, Georgia & Alabama. With that said, neither Georgia or Ohio State are getting in the playoffs this year. It will be #1 Michigan, #2 Washington, #3 Texas and #4 Alabama, IMO. An undefeated P5 champ has never been left out, but considering FSU's SOS, plus their QB situation, I think they make an exception this year. The SEC has never been left out of the playoffs either, but if they do decide to put FSU in, I think Alabama gets left out because Texas beat them by 10 in Tuscaloosa. No matter what happens one team and their conference is going to be livid.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Land o' Lakes, FL
    Yeah? Have they changed their philosophy since last year when let TCU have a playoff spot?

16. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Land o' Lakes, FL
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. grantgator

grantgator Junior

Apr 11, 2007
    Orlando
    FSU either had to be 3 or left out. Their only argument is being undefeated. Putting a 1 loss Texas above them would meqn that they think FSU without Travis is better than Bama.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  18. crl

crl GC Legend

Nov 8, 2008
    For some reason I thought the gumps had 2 losses. Now that I know they only have one, I think they are definitely getting in over the mutts. Now the question is will the committee take the mutts over halfassu and Texas. I have a bad feeling they will, but I hope not. My gut feeling now is it's going to be 1. Michigan 2. Washington 3. halfassu 4. Alabama.

19. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm thinking FSU squeezes in there and bumps out Texas.

20. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    What is the definition of "best" for the CFP committee?

It very well could be......

1- Conference Champion
    2- Undefeated season
    3- Head to head match up

All carrying more weight.

After using that criteria, if there are still teams that are similar, then they start breaking down.....

1-SOS
    2-Quality wins/losses
    3-Injuries to players

Do not be shocked if it ends up

1-Michigan
    2-Washington
    3-FSU
    4-Texas

• Agree Agree x 2