Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Michigan using same strategy as CMW

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by reaves2alvarez, Mar 28, 2021.

1. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Free throws

2. ajjaxgator

ajjaxgator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2007
    Duval
    THIS. Last couple of years, I've moved into NOT watching the bball in half court O sets and tracking individuals. VERY illuminating.

3. ajjaxgator

ajjaxgator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2007
    Duval
    Frees
    T's
    3's
    C. Kellogg

4. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Hall of Fame

Jul 11, 2019
    I’ll let you in on a little secret. Almost any basketball offense will work and look good with great players. It’s not necessarily that one scheme is going to make a bunch of average guys into a great team.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. ColoradoNoVaGator

ColoradoNoVaGator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    We had 20 turnovers

you can’t slow the game down if you’re also going to squander your self-limited opportunities.

we hit what, 55% of our shots? We needed to take more shots.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. ColoradoNoVaGator

ColoradoNoVaGator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    a great illustration of this would be Castleton’s first half vs VAtech compared to his second half.

now credit to MW to get him active and to get passes fed to him, but it CAN be a chicken and egg thing.... was he not moving because he knows nobody is passing? Or is nobody passing because nobody is moving?

7. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

That isn't what we did. We waited until deep in the clock yes, but we were setting high post screens and moving the ball a bit.
    My issue is that we dont even look to score early. I am ok with bleeding clock, as long as in that process we are opportunistic to a high percentage play if it opens up.

• Like Like x 2
  8. tilly

You know we took more shots then ORU over that stretch right? A huge issue was the number FT's taken down the stretch. Being in the bonus for 13 minutes killed us.
    Our offense generated more shots then theirs down the stretch of that game.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. tilly

Game flow = whistles. Mike coached a double digit win and we were outshot from the stripe by a very lopsided number.
    I am not even sure what I think of White on a bigger scale. I go back and forth. But that game, Mike did well enough to win.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. murphree_hall

Jul 11, 2019
    I think that a big problem is that people think a “better coach” can just outsmart the other team to get a victory. You put Jordan, Magic, Lebron, Olajuwon, and Duncan out there with no coach and no strategy, and they are beating the brakes off a well coached team.

I do believe White deserves criticism, but his detractors are focusing on the wrong things. If someone were to say to me that his recruiting is lacking, then I would agree he needs to be better at it. But that’s not what they are saying.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. tilly

Not to mention, some of the criticism of his offense is just not accurate. It is just a rehash of something they read by someone that hates Mike.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. garygator27

garygator27 GC Legend

Mar 28, 2017
    I’m not sure it matters that we took more shots than ORU during that stretch, we still only got 8 shots off. I just can’t stand that brand of basketball - get a lead, take the air out of the ball and hope you can win by shortening the game and getting stops. It doesn’t appeal to me as a fan or as a coach. If I’m going to lose a game that I’m up double digits over the last 10 minutes, it’s going to be with my guys playing aggressively, moving the ball, and playing to their strengths. I’m trying my best to look at what the coach could have done differently with a 10 point lead and 9:40 left rather than just blame it on the refs (who were awful, but could still have been a non factor if the right decisions were made on how to play).

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. garygator27

garygator27 GC Legend

Mar 28, 2017
    These are my own opinions as a long time fan and supporter of the program, someone who played and currently coaches, and someone who thinks it’s fair to critique decisions made by the coach that immediately had a negative impact on the game. Most of the counterpoints being made are just excuses or hyperbole like “it’s basketball, it happens”. I have a different take on things I guess.

14. tilly

Sure. And I respect it when the perspective comes from experience like yours...even if we may see it differently. But even you have to admit there is a lot of..."Dribble drive sucks"..."Mike has no offensive philosophy"...type of posts here, which are just ignorant statements that people have read other places.

As you know Mike runs an offense that is a dribble drive variant, but also a lot of high post motion/screens. There is a philosophy there. I wish we would go for the throat too. I just hate when people, some of whom have little knowledge of x's and o's just rehash what they read on twitter and only show up to say those things when we lose.

This idea that all Mike white does is have his PG dribble around for 20 seconds and then throw up a bad shot late in the clock is just silly and it drives a lot of us nuts.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. tilly

I guess my point is, the game had slowed to a crawl. The half court game is forced by all the whistles stopping play. Both teams were playing at the choppy, slow, halfcourt pace that the officials dragged them into.

16. garygator27

garygator27 GC Legend

Mar 28, 2017
    Agree, the changes he’s made in-season the last 3 years (for a variety of reasons) have been well documented and led more success than what he went into the season with. My complaint here is more in a vacuum, specifically the last 10 minutes of that game. I’m far from an expert and enjoy reading everyone’s opinions on this board.

• Like Like x 1
  17. murphree_hall

Jul 11, 2019
    Agreed. When you have Noah Locke dribbling halfway into the lane then stopping and pivoting three times looking for a bailout pass, or your shooting guard Scottie Lewis out there looking scared to drive/shoot, or Appleby and Glover turning it over, what do you expect the offense to look like? It’s the execution, not the offense... and sadly the personnel are just not getting it done. That’s why I feel most criticism of White should be focused on his recruiting.

That said, he lost his best player... who also happened to be the preseason SEC Player of the Year, and still came within three points of a Sweet 16 or more. Team was emotionally devastated after KJ collapsed, and we had what seemed like a million Covid-19 interruptions, yet he held it together. Some fans have no appreciation or understanding of how much challenge our coaches faced this year.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The problem we have is twofold: (1) We dont have great players. Tre Mann, a very good player. Last year, Blackshear was a good player. But think back....we had some truly great/very good college players in Mike Miller, Haslem, David Lee, Noah, Horford, Beal, Parsons. (2) Even a team with multiple great and very good players can under achieve with a below average coach....and that is what Mike White is and will be unless he changes profession and sells kitchen appliances. Then he may succeed.

IMHO, Mike White, with a team of Haslem, Lee, Brewer, Miller, Richard, Scottie, and Hamilton would not reach the F4 much less the Elite 8. His way of coaching is self defeating.

Mike White is a 60% coach...settle for consistent 21-13 seasons.

To quote the late (and beloved) football coach John McKay when asked about qb Steve DeBerg: "He's good enough to lose"

19. murphree_hall

Jul 11, 2019
    Ok, but as long as we all understand that your assessment of what White would do with a certain cast of previous players is all conjecture and speculation. We are all entitled to our opinions, and I respect your right to state yours, but I do disagree with you.

20. Gatorhead5

Gatorhead5 GC Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    But that is LITERALLY what happened on the possession when we got the ball back up 11...Tre dribbled back so far in fact that the ref ran behind him because he almost stepped on the line at mid court!