Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Michigan using same strategy as CMW

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by reaves2alvarez, Mar 28, 2021.

1. reaves2alvarez

reaves2alvarez All American

Nov 29, 2016
    This is not a pro CMW thread. I don’t know if he’s the guy or not but UM is using the exact same second half strategy against the Semis UF used against ORU. Take the air out of the ball. Run your offense late in the shot clock. The difference? Michigan does not turn the ball over and they hit most of their open shots. We did neither against ORU.
    Oh and UM started the strategy with about 10 minutes left in the game up 12-15. It worked perfectly. The strategy has merit but your team better execute. UF did not.

Now one down and one to go. Go Bruins beat the Tide.

“Wes Chandler was Percy Harvin before Percy Harvin was born.”

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. garygator27

garygator27 GC Legend

Mar 28, 2017
    Disagree from what I saw. Missed a few possessions but I didn’t see one where the point guard dribbled for 20 seconds, they set a high ball screen that got trapped, forcing one pass to a player who could barely get a shot off or turned it over. It looked to me like they were in their normal offense all game and nothing significant changed as their lead grew the last 10 minutes.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I think that is Michigan’s normal offense though. They are an excellent half court team. The big 10 style is typically methodical half court offense. Izzo owned Donovan in NCAA tournaments, remember the year in Tampa it felt like they ran 30 seconds of offense until they found an open shooter over and over and over again. They killed us with that the whole game, until our guys basically quit. But again, it was executed to perfection It wasn’t “standing around” which is what Whites half court seems to devolve into.

We’ve had problems executing half court for a few years now. Things tend to stagnate. This year the shooting percentages were actually excellent, but the lack of assists and high amount of turnovers (sometimes ludicrous turnovers) still mean bad execution held this team back. Worst of all, much of it seems to be basic fundamentals stuff (don’t dribble into corner and pick up your dribble, not recognizing double teams, trying to dribble through double teams, bad spacing on post entry passes, guys sometimes posting up too far outside, etc).

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 8
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. reaves2alvarez

Nov 29, 2016
    Same strategy(starting late in the shot clock) but a much better offense for sure. But they did wait til late in the clock.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Hall of Fame

Jul 11, 2019
    You are correct, but some people’s opinions on about how basketball works is just to see what our team does in a loss and just choose to say we should have done the opposite.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. reaves2alvarez

Nov 29, 2016
    Totally agree Bling. I was just talking strategy. Our execution stunk.Hence the L. UM is actually really good. Much better execution than UF.

• Like Like x 1
  7. garygator27

garygator27 GC Legend

Mar 28, 2017
    While others choose to accept mediocrity.

Learning from mistakes and seeing how other people decide to manage similar situations generally is a good thing to do.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  8. the_alphagator1906

the_alphagator1906 GC Legend

Nov 26, 2013
    Michigan has the players to do it. They literally have a 6 foot 9 guy that can bring the ball up, dish it and create whatever shot he wants in Wagner. We had that in KJ before he went down. His back up Diruji and that is the difference imo. We had athletes though that are better in transition and should've kept running instead of slowing it down. I still stand by that. If we had Key that could literally handle, create and pass to compliment Mann and CC then sure. Yes that ONE player makes THAT much of a difference because that gives us an extra handler to make good decisions when the clock is running out instead of a TO. That is just my opinion though

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. murphree_hall

Jul 11, 2019
    The truth is that every offense or defense looks good and people will say it works if you win the game. We just didn’t execute. If they simply hit a couple more shots we wouldn’t even be having this discussion.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. MelBeachGator

MelBeachGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Or in your case, just blindly defend the coach regardless of any blunder over the last 5 years.

• Like x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Come On Man x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Friendly x 1
  11. murphree_hall

Jul 11, 2019
    You cannot easily or consistently scheme your way into a win in basketball. This is not football.

• Creative Creative x 1
  12. murphree_hall

Jul 11, 2019
    If the players hit the shots, we win the game. Simple as that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. garygator27

garygator27 GC Legend

Mar 28, 2017
    We went like 4 minutes without even getting a decent shot at the basket because of the stall ball. I think in the last 10 minutes we only got 8 shots. To your point, 3 of them were wide open, but the strategy was intentional, and it backfired horrifically.

14. garygator27

garygator27 GC Legend

Mar 28, 2017
    Agree 100%, that’s why when something is working usually you don’t try the exact opposite strategy.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. murphree_hall

Jul 11, 2019
    You could say that about every loss by every team if you want to nitpick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. murphree_hall

Jul 11, 2019
    Theres what you want to happen during a game, and what actually happens. I’ve seen slowing down win a game. I’ve seen speeding up lose a game. Nothing is guaranteed, and there’s something called game flow and momentum that happens. Sometimes you are on the wrong end of it.

17. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Yup.

Dribble drive doesn’t work if you cant get 1 on 1 dribble penetration. KJ at the 4 is going to be a mismatch against most teams. He’s a VERY unique player, but your system can’t just fold because it doesn’t have that 1 special player. It’s not like Duruji is a bumb, he’s off the charts athletic, has solid size, and some skill. Of course the season ended by pandemic might have been Whites most disappointing offense, and that was WITH KJ we had all those crazy long scoreless streaks throughout the season. So I think the problems are much deeper than just because 1 player was down.

White tried to tweak what he was doing midsession, that’s not an easy thing to do and still have offensive flow. Hard to say how many turnovers were attributable to this possible confusion, vs. how many were just issues with fundamentals.

• Like Like x 1
  18. garygator27

garygator27 GC Legend

Mar 28, 2017
    Pointless to go back and forth on this, we’ve done that enough. I respect your take, I just think it’s a little more complicated and the decisions made can impact the result more.

19. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2009
    One of the keys to a succssful offense in basketball is what the players are doing when they don't have the ball. Our guys do a lot of standing around looking at the guy with the ball with little to no movement. It's almost like no one wants to be the guy to take the shot. That was epitomized during the period where we struggled making the inbounds passes late in the game. No one moved into a position to help the inbounds passer.

• Winner Winner x 3
  20. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Colorado
    that’s not true. Systems and schemes create open shots. Plays create open shots. Systems and schemes put players in position to make easier shots. Screens get guys open; cuts get guys in better position to make shots.

if shots aren’t falling, you put guys in better position to make them. You don’t shrug your shoulders and figure things will just come around on their own.