Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Michael Bloomberg and the Imperious Presidency

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by studegator, Feb 8, 2020.

1. studegator

studegator Senior

Feb 24, 2008
    Michael Bloomberg and the Imperious Presidency

The then–mayoral candidate gave us a glimpse back in 2001, when he was dumping his first tranche of $74 million into a late-in-life political career and a reporter asked him whether he had ever smoked marijuana. "You bet I did," the media mogul enthused, at a time when politicians tended to be much more reticent about such things. "And I enjoyed it."

Talk about do as I say, not as I did. During Bloomberg's three terms as mayor, the Big Apple became the marijuana arrest capital of the world, thanks to the notorious stop-and-frisk searches conducted largely in neighborhoods where billionaires rarely venture.

Hizzoner's conscience has never been noticeably troubled by such obvious disparities under the law. If anything, the disproportionate impact of his policy preferences on poorer folk has been the point.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  2. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Probably off-topic for this thread since the focus is on Mike Bloomberg but how about this irony in the linked column:
    While apparently critical of the power of the presidency in that interview, Alan Dershowitz has been vigorously defending the power even to the point in which he has, in effect, stated that under his interpretation of the Constitution the president can do whatever he pleases so long as it's not expressly prohibited.

3. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Hall of Fame

Nov 3, 2013
    Bloomberg might tell people to quit crying that 12% of the U.S. population controls the election of about 60% of the Senators..

4. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    So how would you rate Bloomberg on a scale of zero to "Super-Predators"?

5. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    Huh?
    Double up, huh-huh?

I feel like this thread got lost ... maybe in the first post?

6. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Uh. Kind of like asking if the mayor of Waldo ever drove over the speed limit. Yes? Well then how come they operate a speed trap on 301?

Doesn’t seem like a big contradiction.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Little Big Gulp has no chance... But he will dump over a billion trying to Keep the House and flip the Senate.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  8. nobbqsauce

nobbqsauce All American

Nov 21, 2018
    Where are all the posts decrying stop and frisk illegal searches? Bloomberg is proud of breaking the law and over saw a city where police targeted minorities and poor for doing the same and the liberals he say so what? No big deal?
    Be fair. If this had been Trump uttering the same words and doing the same thing there would be righteous outrage and linked studies showing the unfairness, the wrongness, the racist intent of the stop and frisk.
    But hey...Bloomberg might beat trump...so all is good.

• Like Like x 1
  9. homer

homer GC Legend

Nov 2, 2015
    Your point is taken.

Just wanted to let you know the Waldo police force has been gone for a while. There are no more speed traps.

Florida town infamous for speed traps disbanding police force

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    And Trump is self-conceded angelic, having done no wrong, morally, ethically or legally (or even Twitterly).

Are we now going to attack a politician for NOT lying about himself. For being, er ... human? Isn’t that itself the hallmark of hypocrisy?

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  11. nobbqsauce

nobbqsauce All American

Nov 21, 2018
    Or.....
    We wonder why he isnt being attacked for the hypocrisy of his ramped up stop and frisk in minority neighborhoods, his arrest rates for weed, when he himself bragged about doing it.
    Seems similar to Kamala Harris actually.

Any other time the stop and frisk would be demonized as racist and wrong. Any other ti.e there would be studies linked to this thread showing how it disproportionately targeted minorities.
    And then add to it the rich white guy BRAGGING about how did the exact thing his police force was arresting others for....
    Yeah...Honesty...that's a good why to spin it. But we all know it wouldnt be spun that way if Bloomberg wasn't one of the only politicians that might beat Trump. If the hatred for trump wasnt blinding some, they would be all over this calling it out as they have in the past.

12. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    If Bloomberg can manage to get endorsements from some prominent African American politicians, AA voters will probably give him a pass on stop and frisk, a practice for which he recently issued an apology. AA voters are motivated more by practical politics than political correctness and if they think that Bloomberg will be the best candidate in a general election they will vote for him in the Democratic primaries. AA voters stuck by Biden despite of his support of the 1994 crime bill and some of his early comments on busing to achieve integration both of which were considered racist and they stuck with Hillary Clinton despite her use of the term "super predator" which was also considered racist and much more recently black voters in Virginia continued to support Ralph Northam despite his 35-year old blackface photo. If black voters decide that Michael Bloomberg would be strongest Democrat to oppose Trump in the general election they will support him.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Hall of Fame

Nov 3, 2013
    12% of the US population elects about 60% of the US Senate.

14. nolancarey

Aug 16, 2009
    So removing the previous context you had is supposed to make me better understand the point you were trying to make?

15. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Police chief ran that program. Blomberg allowed it. Minor, trivial crap compared to the BS happening by the current POTUS.

Right now, Bloomberg is the most qualified applicant for the job by far. It isn't even close. The voters missed when they passed on Romney, hopefully they don't f it up again.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. nolancarey

Aug 16, 2009
    What makes him the most qualified. I understand what his qualifications are, but how do they exceed those of the other candidates?

17. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    The more I read about Bloomberg, the more I am convinced that if he gets the democratic nomination the general election will be big Trump vs. little Trump. He looks like just another billionaire who is used to getting his way. Like, changing the term limits for NY major from 2 to 3 so he could have a 3rd term, then changing the limit back to 2 after he was elected.

18. flg8rfan

flg8rfan All American

Jun 15, 2007
    Gainesville
    Yeah but I still won’t speed through there if only out of habit.

The last speeding ticket I got (almost 30 years ago) was in Waldo. I was heading from Jax to Gainesville and when I rounded the turn on the couple of mile straightaway to Waldo I was doing the limit. It was late at night, and I saw him hit his lights and turn them off quick.

I kept following the speed limit and he still pulled me over. I asked him if he accidentally hit his lights and he said he did. I then asked him ‘so I knew you were a couple of miles down the road, why would I go 12 miles over the limit?’ He had no response to that and I wasn’t going to push the issue because I know it would just end up worse for me.