Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Mich St Coach Dantonio Steps Down Day Before Signing Day

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Spurffel, Feb 4, 2020.

1. unofficialgator

unofficialgator Freshman

Sep 1, 2014
    Don’t worry those who unfairly think students should be held to higher commitment standards then their own coaches are usually silent when stuff like this happens.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    I get what you're saying but would you seriously leave a program just days before a $4.3 million bonus kicks in because "it's the right thing to do"?

3. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    If he had gone to them early January and told them he was going to step down after the bonus day, I have to think they would have worked with him to leave earlier while still giving him the bonus so they could get a started searching for a new coach. It might not have made a difference for signing day and he really may not have fully decided until yesterday, but the timing of it with the lawsuit (frivolous or not) at least raises an eyebrow.

4. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    Oh yeah, it totally looks bad. I agree that he probably didn't decide until yesterday.

5. Neptune

Neptune Senior

Jul 19, 2007
    I think Sparty will go after Luke Fickell at Cincinnati.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Josh Newberg is now reporting that Mike Norvell has entered the coaching transfer portal...

News at 11 :D

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. hotelgator

hotelgator GC Legend

Jun 21, 2007
    Boston
    Agree that offensively they just didn't have it!
    Good D and ST got them to bowls.

8. Gatorfred

Gatorfred GC Legend

Oct 15, 2012
    On to the back benchers

Monday's update on Michigan State's search - FootballScoop

Sources tell FootballScoop Bret Bielema has let Michigan State know he’s highly interested

Penn State defensive coordinator Brent Pry and Central Michigan’s Jim McElwain could be potential targets as well. (Rittenberg has since followed saying Pry will remain at Penn State.)

With the search now in Week 2 and the top-level candidates all staying put, the process has now moved from “Who can we get?” to “Who will take this job?” Bielema is there for the taking and Tressel is…. there. Butch Jones would love the job…

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  9. lerxst6

lerxst6 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Naples
    Bielema would be a good fit there.

10. obgator

obgator All American

Apr 3, 2007
    Mel Tucker to MSU

11. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    fwiw:

Michigan State: Mark Dantonio announced he was retiring on February 4th. In documents revealed to MLive, we see that DHR’s Glenn Sugiyama sent a contract to Michigan State on January 23rd and that contract was fully executed on January 31st. DHR was paid $100,000 for their services during the search.

12. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Umm...

Doesn't that belong in the well established "Mel Tucker to MSU" thread here??

Just askin' for a friend. :)

13. obgator

obgator All American

Apr 3, 2007
    Umm...

If you notice the time stamp, my post was made before that thread was started. I didn’t think I needed to start a separate thread.

Just replyin’ for an Ever Vigilant friend :)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 1