Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Father's Day is coming.... Give your Dad a gift he’ll appreciate all year long and save up to $20!

This year, for a limited time and in limited quantities, you can take advantage of our Father's Day Special package and get a discount on top of it. This special won't be around long, so here's how to jump on it now -- click here for details!

Meyer gets blasted for hire

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by cocodrilo, Feb 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mkfgator

mkfgator GC Legend

Aug 28, 2019
    I didn't know you tried this guy and found him guilty. Whoever your investigative agency is, send to me. I could use someone that omnipotent.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  2. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    Exactly. I mean, if this is the smoking gun. . . Let's just say it's pretty damn vague. And, IMO, without examples to back it up, a worthless charge.
    “I remember whenever walking into the facility it would be difficult for black players to walk around the facility and be themselves,” former Iowa defensive back Amani Hooker said on Twitter when the allegations first came out. “As if the way you grew up was the wrong way or wasn’t acceptable & that you would be judge by that and it would impact playing time.”

3. mh2os

mh2os VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Grapevine, TX
    First let me say i don't have a clue what went on in Iowa. That's not the point. I do know that great coaches always push you and have to get close to the line to do it. While there is no place for racism in life, not everything that you don't like is racism, but sadly that seems to be the standard today. Sometimes being yourself means you aren't willing to put the needs of the team first. Coaches, just like Drill Instructors in military basic training, have to mold people into a team, and it ain't easy to do.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 3
  4. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    I would venture to guess it is hard for any black person to truly be themselves at the University of Iowa. Not like they have a huge black population in Iowa. Having played football and served in the military as well, I can tell you that 40 years ago they called you every name in the book. They insulted you, your family, and called you every name in the book. It was accepted then. Today it would be called harassment, abuse, discrimination, hostile work environment, culturally insensitive and you would most certainly be on video and go viral. Likely fired as well. I think it is difficult for those raised in that environment to change quickly. It has really been the last 10 years when things have really changed, likely die to social media reach.

• Like Like x 1
  5. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    That's right, I posted a question, then I altered the post because the article that I posted answered my question. And you've got a problem with that? No need to answer, you do have a problem.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  6. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Yeah, a mutual separation is not a firing. But let the media frenzy continue.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Legend

Mar 26, 2017
    Oh noes, this dude was accused? He clearly should never work again and Meyer should never have entertained hiring him. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The oddest thing about Meyer hiring this guy is that I'm sure Mike Kent was available. A swell, laid-back guy by all accounts.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

The pussification of snowflake America

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    "Swell, laid back guy"? LOL

When has Meyer ever been interested in "laid back guys"? Meyer is a winner.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Mike Hunt might be available too. Has anybody seen him?

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  12. gaterzfan

gaterzfan GC Legend

Feb 6, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    First, Meyer would let you have Shelly and his mom if it would get him a ring.

Second, this smells bad. IDK what the Strength Coach at Iowa's salary is, but my guess is that $1.1M is at least a couple of years pay. That doesn't sound like they had any basis to fire him for cause.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    I believe Mike is in that line up with Tommy Turner and any 3 boys from Angel Beach High School!

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. lerxst6

lerxst6 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Naples
    Friend of mine is a huge Iowa fan. Grew up there, etc. sounds like this guy was the “Escape” Goat.

A lot of the rules were about wearing suits, attire, appearance that maybe some of the black kids did not like. And some of his accusers had run ins with the law too apparently.

Who knows maybe he said racist stuff too. But you’ve got a HC who’s been there for over 20 years and is pretty much known as a discipline old school guy. He’s off scot free but the strength coach was the rogue racist??

just doesn’t add up IMHO.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Juggernautz

Juggernautz Don't tread on me! VIP Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Yulee, FL
    Chris Doyle came to us this evening to submit his resignation and we have accepted. Chris did not want to be a distraction to what we are building in Jacksonville. We are responsible for all aspects of our program and, in retrospect, should have given greater consideration to how his appointment may have affected all involved. We wish him the best as he moves forward in his career.

17. Gatorfred

Gatorfred GC Legend

Oct 15, 2012
    There are rumors that this has indeed happened.

18. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Still don't understand why Urban made up coaching with him at Utah, that's just bizarre.

19. thenazz

thenazz Senior

Sep 4, 2017
    Albuquerque
    Sometimes I think the Jacksonville franchise is just haunted.

20. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It was a stupid move by Meyer. Is this guy really so much better than all other options out there to risk the bad pub? Given the current climate, his underestimating of the backlash this would bring is surprising and troubling if you are a Jacksonville fan.

Meyer is a HOF coach, but this Jaguars adventure has disaster written all over it.

• Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.