Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(MERGED) NBA Western Conference Finals Rockets v. Warriors Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by harnettgator, May 16, 2018.

1. harnettgator

harnettgator Moderator VIP Member

Nov 25, 2013
    Agreed AV but I'm not sure I saw that coming (that Iguodala could/would have such a significant impact on the Ws' chemistry and overall effectiveness). More than any other team in my recent memory, especially any team that might be in the discussion as a "dynasty," Golden State seems dependent on maintaining their season-long chemistry, at least in terms of the starting line-up in order to dominate through the Finals.

2. harnettgator

Nov 25, 2013
  3. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    They might have won the last 2 if Durant showed up in the 4th also.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. harnettgator

Nov 25, 2013
    Think I'll let others reply to this one as I've already met my quota for KD post-season rants. :D

5. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    KD doesn’t know when to abandon his outside shot when it’s not falling, if anything he’ll be more aggressive to try to get himself out of a shooting funk. It’s been this way his entire career but was more noticeable in OKC. Lebron is better because he’s more adaptable and is a much improved offensive player.

6. harnettgator

Nov 25, 2013
    Happy Memorial Day to all and here we go sports fans!
    Game#6 of the Western Conference Finals should be an interesting one.
    [​IMG]
    WCF Game#6: Houston Rockets (65-17, 31-10 away) at the Golden State Warriors
    (58-24, 29-12 home)
    When: Saturday, May 26th, 9pm ET (6pm Pacific)
    Watch It: TNT
    Stream It: TNTdrama.com or TNT app
    Vegas Says:
    Golden State by 12.5 with Over/Under of 213

Be There: Oracle Arena, Oakland (CA); Capacity: 19,596
    [​IMG]
    -----
    NBA.com Recaps WCF Game#5 - Warriors Fall in Game#5
    Neither side led by more than six at any point in the second half, but in the end it was Houston coming out on top, as the Warriors fell 98-94 to the Rockets in Game 5 of the Western Conference Finals on Thursday night. Golden State had a chance to tie the game in the final seconds, but a turnover gave the ball back to Houston, and Eric Gordon iced the game with two subsequent free throws. Kevin Durant led all scorers with 29 points. Klay Thompson and Stephen Curry added 23 and 22 points, respectively, while Draymond Green notched a double-double with 12 points and 15 rebounds in defeat. With the result, Houston takes a 3-2 series lead, putting the Warriors on the brink of elimination heading into Game 6 on Saturday.... Read more here.
    OAKLAND, Calif. -- The Houston Rockets will attempt to close out the defending champion Golden State Warriors in Game 6 of the Western Conference finals on Saturday night, but will have to go about it without star point guard Chris Paul.

Paul had 20 points, Eric Gordon 24 and James Harden 19 when the Rockets moved to within one win of their first trip to the NBA Finals since 1995 with a 98-94 home victory over the Warriors on Thursday.

As it turned out, the key play of the game -- in more ways than one -- occurred when Paul suffered a strained right hamstring while attempting a missed floater in the key with 51.7 seconds remaining and the Rockets clinging to a 95-94 lead.
    Paul was unable to return to the defensive end after the miss, giving the Warriors a five-on-four power play with a chance to go ahead... Read more here.
    For analytics geeks (like me ;)), check out NBA.com's Complete 2018 NBA Playoff Stats page here.
    I'm sure many here have already played around with it, but was new to me. :p

7. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    One team is making shots and one team is missing shots.

8. harnettgator

Nov 25, 2013
    Sad but true. Very sad.

Is it my imagination or has Klay Thompson been virtually silent during this series?

9. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    Any idiot still want to argue that JaVele McGee doesn’t deserve minutes? The entire team is playing with no energy.

10. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    Warriors going for the 12-point play on every possession, just awful offense. Houston has 10 turnovers and up 12.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. harnettgator

Nov 25, 2013
    At this point, I'm not sure which is uglier - Ws' offense or defense :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    Never thought I’d say this but the Rockets are a better team. Warriors went away from their traditional lineup that got them championships and now they resemble Florida’s team. All perimeter shots with no interior presence on either end.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. harnettgator

Nov 25, 2013
    Hold that thought

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    We’ll see in game 7. Rockets can only play good for so long with CP3 out. Thompson woke up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. harnettgator

Nov 25, 2013
    Perfect timing for Klay to show up. If he hadn't.....Now this from the FiveThirtyEight.

For just a while, it seemed like maybe, just maybe, we were headed for the unthinkable.

The Houston Rockets opened up a 17-point edge after one period, couldn’t miss and led the Golden State Warriors by 10 going into half of Game 6 on Saturday night, a contest Golden State had to have to keep its season alive. Based on how the last two games had gone — with Houston coming out on the winning end of two close games — it would have been fair to think that this might be it for the Warriors. Even without injured star point guard Chris Paul, Houston came out of the gate scorching, hitting 8-of-12 from distance in the opening quarter while the Warriors connected on just 1-of-7 from behind the three-point arc.

But then Klay Thompson happened, and the Oracle Arena crowd came to life. Thompson and Stephen Curry caught fire and helped Golden State land yet another patented third-period haymaker — one that would daze the Rockets more than in Game 4 — en route to outscoring Houston by a ledger of 93 to 47 from the end of the first quarter to the end of the contest. And we found ourselves with a Western Conference finals series knotted at three games apiece instead.

Thompson’s second-half outburst — reminiscent of his landscape-changing Game 6 showing against Kevin Durant and the Oklahoma City Thunder in the West finals two years ago — lifted the Warriors to a 115-86 victory Saturday, giving the league two Game 7s this holiday weekend.... Read more here.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. harnettgator

Nov 25, 2013
    So after all the basketball that's been played, it's all come down to this!

NBA Western Conference Finals Game#7
    Golden State Warriors (58-24, 29-12 away) at Houston Rockets (65-17, 34-7 home)

When: Monday, May 28th, 9pm ET (6pm Pacific)
    Watch It: TNT
    Stream It: TNTdrama.com or TNT app
    Vegas Says:
    Golden State by 5.5 with Over/Under of 207.5

Be There: Toyota Center, Houston (TX); Capacity: 18,043
    [​IMG]

NBA.com Preview - Rockets Hope Paul Can Play in Game#7 v. Warriors

HOUSTON -- There is something appropriate about the Houston Rockets' championship aspirations hinging upon the availability of guard Chris Paul.

His right hamstring strain could not only shift the balance of the Western Conference Finals, it might impact which team hoists the Larry O'Brien Trophy at the end of the NBA Finals and this postseason marred by injuries.

Paul, acquired by the Rockets last offseason to provide the backcourt depth required to challenge the reigning champion Golden State Warriors, departed with 22.4 seconds remaining in Houston's 98-94 win in Game 5 at Toyota Center and sat out Golden State's 115-86 win in Game 6 at Oracle Arena.

With Game 7 set for Monday at Toyota Center, Paul was listed as questionable by Rockets coach Mike D'Antoni, who described the rehab process as going good on Sunday.... Read more here.

Meanwhile Warriors' Head Coach, Steve Kerr has confirmed Andre Iguodala is out for Golden State.

-----
    So is Stephen A. Smith correct when he insists this Game#7 must be "a legacy game for Kevin Durant"?

-----​

You can check out for match-up details and stats from NBA.com here.
    Enjoy the game everyone and hope to see lots of discussion and bold predictions below as to which team from the West will emerge to face LBJ and the Cavs in the Finals! :p

17. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    CP3 won't be able to defend like he's been throughout the series if he does play. His defense on Curry and others including Durant has been outstanding. I think GS closes the door on Houston's season tonight although being at home should keep it close. After this, people will likely tune out the NBA finals.

18. harnettgator

Nov 25, 2013
    Ya' think? I'm not so sure...
    Part of me actually wants to see GSW v. Cleveland Part VIII or whatever it'd be. But I'm weird like that.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. harnettgator

Nov 25, 2013
    I wonder what Stephen A. Smith would say re Durant's legacy at this point....
    :emoji_face_palm:

20. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    Durant played terrible defensively that half. Almost like he doesn’t care about GS anymore because he’s going for that max deal.