Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Men’s golf regionals underway

Discussion in 'Alligator Alley (other sports)' started by oragator1, May 17, 2021.

1. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    About half way thru 1st round, UF dead in the middle of the pack. Couple of triple bogeys killing the team score.
    Field very bunched up still, leader at -4 and last place +4. UF at even par

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Finish the day even par...finish the round with 4 bogeys....to go with 3 triples during the day.
    Currently sit in 7th, will probably be here after others finish. 5 advance, currently 4 strokes out of that spot.
    If any of this sounds familiar it is UF golf all season, men and women.

Looks like they will drop all the way to 9th out of 14 teams by end of day

Last edited: May 17, 2021
  4. GatorChoice

GatorChoice GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Wesley Chapel, Florida
    Disappointing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Not even going to bother updating at this point.
    I will say we are presently 21 strokes behind 50th ranked East Tennessee St

Edit, while i was typing we fell to 24 strokes behind them

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Cant even fathom how Deacon has a job. I just don’t think Stricklin cares about non revenue sports nearly enough. It’s getting embarrassing compared to our historical standard.
    Women’s basketball
    Women’s tennis
    Men’s golf
    Women’s golf

and cross country is down comparatively (though mouse gets a relative pass).

soccer at least we did something finally, but it was two years too late, now we are in rebuild.

Basketball is a mess too.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. GatorChoice

GatorChoice GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Wesley Chapel, Florida
    Yeah we’re middle of the pack in the conference at best, not to mention nationally. To make it worse, we’ve had to witness the noles move to the top of the soccer mountain. Insufferable. No reason UF shouldn’t be consistently at the top in golf and tennis.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    My how far we have fallen. I can recall when we dominated golf and swimming and they were our only NCs. Swimming still good, but golf not so much.

9. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Crazy thing is...this is a talented roster. Admittedly young...but that top 4 all have all American potential

10. iowagator

iowagator VIP Member

SS needs to come to the realization that many UF fans expect all, or close to all, sports to be in serious NC hunts virtually every year. A down year is one thing--but a downward trend in any sport is just not acceptable at Florida. He could get away with that at his previous stop. He can't do that here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. SewaneeGator

SewaneeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Golf and tennis are not where they should be or where anyone wants them to be. But women's basketball has an extremely low historical standard here. The best stretch was with Carol Ross over 20 years ago, and even then it was relatively modest. It's probably the least successful program in school history.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    First hole of the day is a birdie from Wilkes, already gone from 6 stokes out of 5th to 4 out
    Will be a very interesting round to see what this team and staff is made of

• Like Like x 1
  13. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Another Wilkes birdie, 2 shots off the cut line....still most of the round remaining

• Like Like x 1
  14. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    don’t get me wrong, I’m not expecting us to be UCONN. But Cam has won more than three games in conference once, which is beyond abysmal. He has finished as high as 10th in conference once and that’s his high water mark. He hasn’t been to the tournament once, and only even made the WNIT one time. Even by Amanda Butler standards all that is terrible. She made the post season all but two years, and got fired.
    If we don’t make NCAAs this year he should be gone. Roland should have been gone a year or two ago, Deacon several years ago etc.
    Just way too much mediocrity being tolerated.

15. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I don't think it's that simple.
    Cam is a total rebuild job. I do agree this next season is crucial to make the tourney, and I think they will
    Nobody has been more critical of Roland than me, but the man has 4 national championships. That carries a lot of weight.
    Deacon has been here 6 years, and one of those was the covid season. How could he have been gone several years ago? His roster is loaded with talent, albeit young. I would think next year is the make or break for him.....that top 4 will be 2 juniors and 2 seniors, and all have all american type talent

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Roland carries weight with his titles, but his roster management alone is worthy of telling him the good days are gone. You know I have called for him to be gone for several years now, and nothing has gotten better, in fact it’s getting worse. He could luck out with the seniors coming back, but what then? We had another mediocre recruiting class this year, it’s not getting better.
    Deacon has had 3 top 3 classes, never finished above 15th nationally and has missed nationals several times. His national finishes at UF - 28th, 15th, 43rd, 18th, 50th, and now scraping for top 30 - and some of those were with the number one class in the country. I wanted him gone after not even making nationals two of three years and finishing 50th, his ceiling was clear to me. Unless we have a great comeback today and squeak in, it will now be 3 of 4 not even making nationals, despite top 5 or ten talent at worst, repeatedly. Yes we are young this year, but it’s never mattered under him.
    And this whole “rebuild” job for Cam is giving him more credit than he deserves IMO. Yes UF is a tough job and more leeway is expected, but he took over a team that won 5 conference games and hasn’t won more than three in a season in his entire tenure. Even if I took that argument as face value and agreed, at some point, and I think five years in is fair, we should be rebuilt, at least to the point of being better than a three win conference team. Maybe next year is the turnaround, but even if it is, there is a legit question given his history on whether it’s sustainable.
    /rant.

17. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    UWash helping us, horrendous round of +10 at the turn, playing their way out...currently tied with UF and Utah in 6th.....4 strokes behind Denver for the last slot

Padgin, Castillo and Lin, UF 3 best are all +1 on the day. That has to change for them to eke this out

• Like Like x 1
  18. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lotta holes to play, but somehow as of this moment they are in a qualifying spot.

• Like Like x 1
  19. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Until Lin and Castillo both go double bogey......them and Padgin all at +3. Wilkes carrying the team at -4

2 shots off the cut again

20. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Also have to watch Arizona now....one shot behind UF and scorching the course today