Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Mega Church pastor: "slavery is the heart of what it means to be a true Christian”

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by WarDamnGator, Mar 1, 2024.

1. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    This popped up today mostly because he was blasting MLK recently as “not a Christian at all” and was “a nonbeliever who misrepresented everything about Christ and the gospel.” but it includes some of his past quotes to his flock ... this is my favorite:

“The Bible is abundantly clear — slavery is the heart of what it means to be a true Christian,” and “Christianity does not free slaves. Christianity does not give equal social rights. … Jesus did not propound equal rights and he did not upset the social order…. Rather, they all affirmed that, with great fear of God and great respect, you are to be submissive to your masters. Whether they’re good and gentle or whether they are unreasonable — you are to submit.”

And I know @tilly, before you say it, you think he's not a true Christian, I'll save you the trouble...

Rev. Martin Luther King was “not a Christian at all,” claims old white hate pastor (msn.com)

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    damn i hope that's a misquote, out of context or something ...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    We found the opposite of liberation theology, and of course an American came up with it

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    White, old, anti-LGBTQ+ and racist. I have a pretty strong idea of who he’s voting for.

• Agree x 3
    • Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
  5. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Damn, what a complete pos that guy is. ( and the horse he rode in on).

Maybe he should volunteer to live in servitude himself.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. obgator

obgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    This pastor dude might be posting in the DEI thread.

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    I just saw this in passing and don’t have time to dive in right now. Will later and might find myself questioning Dr. MacArthur. But I doubt it. MacArthur is one of the great Pastors of our time. So in the mean time. Here is a talk from the pulpit of MacArthur’s church from Dr. Voddie Baucham. I use this one because it is from the pulpit of MacArthur’s church. I will follow this post with one of my favorite sermons by Dr. Baucham. And I will bet (probably should not do that on a thread trying to hammer Christianity) this article has taken MacArthur completely out of context. Or it is from a viewpoint that is not Biblical.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
  9. RIP

RIP I like touchdowns Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
    It's a shame Hell isn't real.

• Agree x 3
    • Funny x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Optimistic x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  10. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    any key notes from it? Not sure many will watch a 60 min YouTube video.

11. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Agree it will take time. But this particular talk goes to Genesis to discuss homosexuality in the schools. It is a bit off topic from the OP from that standpoint. That said he addresses race in the beginning. Being Dr. Baucham is "Black".

This sermon/talk will definitely not sit well with those that are not Christians. But the closing defines the Why Dr. Baucham did it and is so passionate about apologetics. Like Dr. MacArthur.

The sermon I posted after is one from Dr. Baucham's Church when he was preaching in Texas. One of the best sermons ever. The one I posted is different that the one I normally do as it came up first on google. Let me see if I can find the one I like to post as it has audio and text...

12. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
  13. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
  14. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Those who disagree, feel free to do so - but John MacArthur is a Calvinist flake and past his sell by date. From The article linked in the OP said -
    The so called curse of Ham is a misnomer. Though Noah's son Ham was the instigator of the offense against Noah, the curse was laid on Canaan, who was Ham's son. Why would that be unless Ham's offense was something far greater than him entering a drunken Noah's tent and "uncovering his father's nakedness" ?

The answer to that question is provided in Leviticus 18:7,8.
    7 You shall not uncover the nakedness of your father, which is the nakedness of your mother; she is your mother, you shall not uncover her nakedness. 8 You shall not uncover the nakedness of your father’s wife; it is your father’s nakedness.

From this not un-typical biblical euphemism it can be deduced Ham entered his father's tent and had sex with his father's wife who conceived and gave birth to the cursed Canaan - the evidence of Ham's treachery against his father.

Ham's entry into Noah's tent would have been viewed an attempt to seize to usurp Noah, overthrow his power and replace him as the head of the family. The story goes on to say Ham then went and told his brothers Shem and Japheth what he had done, but they did not approve or accept Ham's perfidious claim over their father Noah and chose to enter the tent looking away, indicating their disapproval and refusal to support Ham in his attempt to replace Noah as head of the family.

Using other isolated and disconnected scriptural events and descriptions, biblical scholars of doubtful qualification have justified slavery based on cherry picked scripture referencing the one who received the curse, Canaan, according to the accounting of the event in Genesis 9. The consequences of the father's sins are visited on his sons for 3 or 4 generations.

There are several indications of Jesus's support of what we today term "equal rights." Whether or not you might believe the tenets, doctrines, and miracles of the Bible, the attitude and acceptance of women by Jesus in the gospels and epistles of the New Testament is documented and established throughout.

His first recorded miracle -turning water into wine - was done at the request of a woman. The first person to whom revealed he was the expected Messiah was a woman. Women were in his close circles of disciples. His first resurrection of a deceased person - Lazarus - was performed art the request of the sisters of the deceased man. After Jesus's own resurrection his first appearance was to women who were charged with going to tell his band of disciples.

His acceptance and inclusion of women was established during his ministry and further influenced his apostles. The Spirit of God was given equally to men and women at Pentecost. As the scattered and evangelizing apostles moved away from the region the first church established in the region of Asia Minor / Greece was in the home of Lydia, a wealthy merchant selling expensive cloth in a world dominated by men Paul praised several women who "work hard in the Lord." He also praised Junia as outstanding among the apostles.

Slavery was commonplace in that era and there is no doubt he was acquainted with the practice. But his mission was to foster love and bring inner peace to people living in tumultuous times. His concern was more with how people treat[ed] each other. The principles he taught and preached on numerous times: tolerance, forgiveness, and acceptance, are not repeated or publicly discussed nearly as often as the proof text verses so frequently taken out of context as MacArthur has done. Along with the reciprocity teaching in the Golden Rule - to treat other people the way we want to be treated - these core principles, essential to the Christian message are still taught and repeated in more modern times, evident and familiar in The Serenity Prayer:

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The courage to change the things I can.
    And the wisdom to know the difference.

Jesus knew slavery was culturally entrenched and not going to be abolished during the short time of his ministry, so his mission and teachings focused on bringing spiritual freedom or solace to oppressed people. His initial pronouncement reading a prophecy from Isaiah 61 at the start of his ministry, is found in the 4th chapter of Luke.

“The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to bring glad tidings to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim liberty to captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free, and to proclaim a year acceptable to the Lord.”

[When our attitudes change from bleak despairing or angry negativity to hope filled positivity for a better future our outlook on life will similarly change. When we learn how to accept and deal with difficult life circumstances we cannot change - or change without violence - we can find contentment. You may not believe this, but having experienced it for myself I know it's true. And it's not necessary to believe virgin birth and resurrection myths to discover it for yourself.]

Continuing ~
    His acceptance and inclusion of women was established during his ministry and further influenced his apostles. The Spirit of God was given equally to men and women at Pentecost. As the scattered and evangelizing apostles moved away from the region the first church established in the region of Asia Minor / Greece was in the home of Lydia, a wealthy merchant selling expensive cloth in a world dominated by men Paul praised several women who "work hard in the Lord." He also praised Junia as outstanding among the apostles.

Back to Ham. Ancient historian Josephus wrote Africa and parts of Asia Minor were settled and populated by descendants of Ham. The importation of captured and enslaved Africans was justified by the curse Noah laid on Canaan and his descendants. But Ham had 3 other sons. One was Cush, associated with the land now known as Ethiopia. Moses was married to a Cushite woman, as was David's son King Solomon to the queen of Sheba.

Some biblical scholars in the 18th and 19th centuries - and even today - working from their biased standpoints used the curse to justify and condone slavery as God's will for People of African descent. Based on their myopic and warped interpretation of what the Bible said they contributed to the devastation of many generations then and yet to be born. It's past time for this false doctrine repeated by MacArthur and too many others, to be exposed for what it is and declared anathema.

• Informative x 6
    • Best Post Ever x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Might be the OP

Sad that hatemongers like that get to do so taxfree under the guise of religion

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. watchfulgator

watchfulgator Freshman

Mar 1, 2024
    The right wants to impose Christian Nationalist views on the populace.

November we fight back.

Down ballot is going to be a giant wake up call.

• Agree x 3
    • Funny x 3
    • Optimistic x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
  17. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    I don't think you've ever posted a thing on here which suggests you're a Christian. This post of yours confirms you're not.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  18. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Believe as you wish. One thing is certain. I know my Lord and Savior is Jesus Christ. And nothing John MacArthur or Voddie Baucham has preached would say otherwise for them as well.

The fruit speaks.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. watchfulgator

watchfulgator Freshman

Mar 1, 2024
    Bring lots of sunscreen with you

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. QGator2414