Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Meanwhile back on the Korean Peninsula

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by VAg8r1, May 15, 2018.

1. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    This is why they won't be conducting nuclear tests any time soon.

Whether they would "denuclearize" is another question altogether. I highly doubt it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. hcooper

hcooper Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    If not a Nobel maybe he can get a Pulitzer when they give one for tweeting.

• Funny Funny x 4
  3. finorman

finorman GC Legend

Jan 30, 2009
    Orlando
    You don’t ever recall a previous administration engaging in a 5:1 prisoner swap? 3 of which have returned to their old ways?

4. finorman

finorman GC Legend

Jan 30, 2009
    Orlando
    Seems like quite a few on the left want our government to fail in the peace process just so you can say you were right, conservatives were wrong and you can keep your party in power. Use some introspection and examine yourself.

• Winner Winner x 2
  5. finorman

finorman GC Legend

Jan 30, 2009
    Orlando
    Well that was the idea of our last administration. I’m not a fan of Trump’s persona, his style or his personality, but you should give him credit because he is making something happen. He has gotten farther than any previous administration, and if he succeeds it is good for your family, my family our country and the world is a better place.

• Like Like x 1
  6. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    He does get credit for getting three political prisoners home.

What other kind of credit do you believe he has earned wrt NK?

What is the state of NK's nuclear and missile programs relative to what it was when he began office?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    South Florida

I wish Obama was held to this kind of scruitany

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  8. G. Gordon Gator

G. Gordon Gator GC Hall of Fame

May 3, 2017
    Getting back to the topic...

Earlier in the week, North Korea canceled a planned meeting with South Korea. The regime called joint U.S.-South Korea military drills a "provocation" and preparation for an invasion, according to reports.

After giving it a little thought, I have to say, the North Koreans kinda sorta have a point IMO.

Let's be honest, those joint U.S.-South Korea drills may not be, "preparation for an invasion," but they are intended as training for potential conflict with NK, and as a show of force to intimidate NK's leaders.

In honor of this truly historic summit between the leaders of the U.S. and NK, I would not object if the U.S. and South Korea stood down and postponed that exercise pending the outcome of the negotiations, just as a gesture of goodwill.

GGG HAS SPOKEN.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    We have engaged in asymmetric prison swaps in the past, but none with North Korea. Israel has also been involved with asymmetric swaps. Just one example:
    And none of the releases of prisoners by North Korea were asymmetric swaps. Apparently, the North Koreans place a lot of value on who negotiates on behalf of the US. For example, the two journalists were released in 2009 after negotiations by former President Bill Clinton. In the case of the recent release the US was represented by Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State and former Director of the CIA who flew to North Korea to negotiate their release and even more significantly, the President of the US agreed to meet with the leader of North Korea for the first time in history.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  10. Gatormb

Gatormb GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Bradenton, Fl
    IOW the US won't be BS'd anymore. Obama was every rogue regime's wet dream! Times they are a changing!:ninja3:

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    It's wasn't just Obama. President George W. Bush was also played by North Korea as were Clinton and George H.W. Bush. It was under the second Bush that North Korea detonated its first nuclear device and it was under Trump that North Korea detonated its first thermonuclear device (hydrogen bomb) and tested its first ICBM capable of reaching the US.
    To refresh your recollection (from 2008)
    Bush: U.S. to lift key North Korea sanctions

And 2006
    North Koreans Say They Tested Nuclear Device

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  12. Gatormb

Gatormb GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Bradenton, Fl
    Agree they all got played. Not going to happen under this Prez I don't think. Obama sticks out because of the Iran deal which he authorized because he didn't have the votes in Congress.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. DaveFla

DaveFla GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    It’s shameful to see so many rooting against America simply because they don’t like Trump.

I never thought I’d see this day. Sad

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  14. wgbgator

wgbgator Very Stable Genius Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Geo-hell
    Nothing has actually happened yet, and there have definitely been various NK statements about doing denuclearization, as well as treaties signed in the past ... 1985, and 1994. In 2005, they agreed to give up their nuclear program again under international pressure. Then they tested a weapon in 2006 and that more or less got us to where we've been at for the last decade. The only thing Trump has done differently is agreeing to meet directly with NK, which other presidents have said would be "rewarding" them, which is a stupid stance, so in his willingness to break that precedent, that's where credit is due at the moment. As to anything else, don't get your hopes up, we've seen this movie before. Maybe Kim is different than past leaders, but I wouldn't count on it.

15. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Even if NK had the intent of moving forward with denuclearization once Trump started bragging about it, his press secretary started calling him "the best negotiator" and that moron Hannity kept referring to Jong-un as "little rocket man" I am not surprised he pulled the plug.

Who does millionaire conservative/FOX mouthpiece Sean Hannity think he is? If an annoying, self righteous fool then I agree. He's such an ass and if he and the boring Laura Ingram were in the same studio it appears they would be french kissing as they pass the baton between shows. Really... ugh.

16. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    That I agree with.

17. BigCroc

BigCroc Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I'd say that's a little hyperbolic. Not one person on this thread has "rooted" against America or "rooted" against the prospect of a peaceful denuclearization of the Korean peninsula.

Just because some are skeptical of Trump's ability to pull it off given the fact that Korea has played this game many times with other administrations and Trump is Trump doesn't mean that they are hoping Trump is not successful in achieving what no president before him was able to achieve. A nuclear-free North Korea is a great thing no matter who is able to make it happen.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    I believe he's referring to witch hunting sore losing Democrats in general.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  19. finorman

finorman GC Legend

Jan 30, 2009
    Orlando
    OPENLY rooting against him, and since he represent YOU and I... rooting against our country. Worse case scenario we got four Americans back and three months of not having test missiles launched our way..... without having to give up anything.... not even Cobra Gold 2018.
    As a best case scenario the peninsula de nukes.... the truth will be somewhere in between, but it sounds like we get the best of this deal.

The only one that looses are Trump's political opponents, especially those that despise the president so much that hope he will fail in containing a nuclear threat, just to say "I told you so."

I would challenge you to find a post by one of the Leftist on this board acknowledging Trump's moves in this area have been masterfully played and hoping he succeeds.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. finorman

finorman GC Legend

Jan 30, 2009
    Orlando
    This is America baby, not Isreal... and talk about asymmetric Trump got 4 American prisoners back for NOTHING... Zero, Zinch, Nada. Can your idol say the same? Two of those prisoners were there during Obama's presidency. Obama would have given up Hawaii to get them back, but then again where would he have vacationed?