Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Meanwhile back on the Korean Peninsula

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by VAg8r1, May 15, 2018.

1. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    At least you haven't posted in the Trump in bed with China thread......LOL believe me I checked that thread as soon as you posted. Thought I had you.

2. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Trump can be in bed with China and at the same time China wanting Trump to look like a fool on the world stage to diminish America's standing.

They are not mutually exclusive.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    I understand, liberals don't always play by the rules......you can have it both ways.

4. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Actually I think there are a lot things you don't understand.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Clearly no fan of trump, but wouldn’t read too much into it yet.

I do,wonder though how much if any our backing out of the Iran deal has rattled NK.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    That would be giving up something for nothing. You want to kowtow to Kim now? Pressure him and China till they agree to our demands.

7. wgbgator

wgbgator Very Stable Genius Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Geo-hell
    Wasn't talking to them in the first place "giving up something for nothing?" And really what would we be giving up exactly? What kind of concession is just canceling/postponing a military exercise?

8. finorman

finorman GC Legend

Jan 30, 2009
    Orlando
    You mean like when we encouraged khadafi to give up hos leverage, then worked to undermine him and betray his good will?

9. finorman

finorman GC Legend

Jan 30, 2009
    Orlando
    Didn’t we just get back 3 Americans? In Democrat’s math we would have had to give up 15 Guantanamo prisoners to get “nothing.”

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    That along with repudiation of the Iranian nuclear agreement. Demonstrated twice under two different administrations that the word of the US cannot be trusted and in the case of Libya, the chances are that even if Khadafi retained his WMD it probably wouldn't have prevented the revolution that ended up in his overthrow.

11. wgbgator

Apr 19, 2007
    Geo-hell
    Yeah, I don't know why anyone would give up their nukes or nuclear program in light of what happened in Libya.

12. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I do not recall giving up 15 Guantanamo detainees to North Korea in exchange for the two US journalists it released back in 2009.
    2009 imprisonment of American journalists by North Korea - Wikipedia

Or the Americans that NK released in 2014
    Two Americans freed by North Korea arrive in U.S. - CNN

In addition to the Americans described in the above links there were four more. Again no Guantanamo prisoners were given to North Korea
    US detainees freed by North Korea

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. wgbgator

Apr 19, 2007
    Geo-hell
    Yes, they did a good will gesture, I was just wondering why we didn't reciprocate, especially considering it really gives them nothing just to delay or cancel a military exercise.

14. secgator

secgator GC Hall of Fame

Sep 1, 2007
    Exactly. Their math is "special" to say the least.;)

Have you noticed the "appeasement" approach by some in here---that is their definition of "negotiating":rolleyes::rolleyes:

Apparently their only standard they know is how the Messiah--Obama, did it. And failed at it. Miserably.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  15. danmann65

May 22, 2015
    It shows that we are willing to keep the pressure on and not give up our military advantage. This play nice and negotiate is a ploy that we trained the N Koreans to exploit. He is making noise right now but he will shut up and honestly negotiate if China demands it and we keep the pressure on.

16. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Seems that quite few folks on the right side of the political spectrum are treating the individual pictured below as the Messiah.
    upload_2018-5-16_10-14-56.png

• Like Like x 1
  17. wgbgator

Apr 19, 2007
    Geo-hell
    What advantage is lost? Its not like we are withdrawing troops or anything like that. There's nothing for them to exploit. In fact, it seems like they are exploiting us having the exercises by making a big deal out of it.

18. danmann65

May 22, 2015
    They are making a big deal out of it because we have always rewarded them for their hissy fits.

I hate analogies but I am going to try one here.

A parent takes a toddler shopping. The toddler wants some useless trinket the parent says no. Toddler throws a hissy fit. The parent can either capitulate or give in. If the parent gives in the child learns that the hissy fit works. If the parent doesnt the child eventually learns that it doesnt.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. secgator

secgator GC Hall of Fame

Sep 1, 2007
    I gave this a "like" but it also deserves a "laugh"....solely because the basic premise of why you don't cave in had to be explained.:rolleyes:

• Winner Winner x 2
  20. wgbgator

Apr 19, 2007
    Geo-hell
    I mean, aren't we still giving them what they want (a meeting)? Like I said, we aren't really giving them anything more or conceding anything whether we hold the military exercise or not. Its purely about appearances before the summit. No leverage is gained or lost by either party. This is all just pointless mindfucking. My main point isn't that we should cancel the exercise now that they've complained, its that they should just have canceled it before hand to fend of this kind of stuff.