Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

McElwain

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by dylan383, Dec 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dylan383

dylan383 Premium Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Texas
    Not that it matters but Mullen’s classes are the equal or worse than Mac’s last two classes and the future class started shaping up to perhaps better. Doesn’t matter as a comparison and Mac didn’t recruit great. How do you explain Mullen versus someone with the same two years in recruiting—Jimbo Fisher at A&M? You either recruit or you lose. Dabo has six 5 star recruits. Jimbo has a greater challenge than Coach Mullen because he’s in the west but the comparison is apt and we have to perform recruiting wise at the level to get to and of course win in Atlanta. The coaching part Dan has an advantage over most of our opponents.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. willymayshayes

willymayshayes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Nobody else is wishing for that - except for dylan383.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. dylan383

dylan383 Premium Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Texas
    Maybe you are projecting but I never wished that at the time or now. I want a coach who can recruit at the highest level. My hope is Dan is the one. You never seem to compare him to current two year coaches when you bring him up. Mac is done obviously as you should know.

4. willymayshayes

willymayshayes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Recall your first post?

dylan383 said:
    "Orchestrated the largest division one turnaround this year at Central Michigan and has so far put on a clinic the first half of the MAC Championship. I sort of wished we had seen what could have been."

You seem lost at this point. And you still cannot find anyone to agree with you.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. dylan383

dylan383 Premium Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Texas
    Without the incidents his third year that made Florida bosses reject him and also made him want to leave, yes I do wonder what would have happened. The reality of big time football is you don’t find that out anymore. If Mullen doesn’t recruit better, winning the favored 8 to 10 games depending on the schedule won’t be sufficient. (He obviously can coach offense well). See all the other coaches fired in SEC this past decade.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  6. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    Please stop. You have worn out your welcome.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. dylan383

dylan383 Premium Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Texas
    Reality plays out.

8. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    Ok but what has that got to do with the "Oh what could have been with Mac after that clinic he just put on" that you were preaching about 9 pages ago? That was why you started the thread right?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. benheb

benheb GC Hall of Fame

Feb 2, 2011
    Colorado Springs
    Mac would never have make it here. Remember the Michigan games? A coach that expected to be a winner at UF would never had taken those consecutive humiliations the way Mac did - a guy that thought he has a chance here would have assured the fan base but Mac was just mad at the fans. He was in over his head, he knew it and most fans that hadn't drank the kool-aid knew it. We were lucky to get rid of him as quickly as we did. Foley's worst hire.

• Winner Winner x 2
  10. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    The water tray attached to the bottom of the pot your fern is in is a better OC than Nuss.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Muschamp left Mac a loaded roster on defense, but with more holes on offense than what Mac left Mullen with...

But Mac left Mullen with a team that did not seem excellent at any key position group... yes, we had WRs and RBs, but no OL nor QB...

Mac inherited a "franchise QB" in Grier, a number 1 option in Demarcus Robinson, a good RB in Taylor, and an absolutely loaded defense from top to bottom...

In my humble opinion, Mullen had a harder rebuild than Mac just because he had to improve everything... But Mac had a longer rebuild because we had zero OL depth... and that just takes time to build...

12. dylan383

dylan383 Premium Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Texas
    Originally but it turned into a boost our current situation by bashing the past. I’m sure that happened when Mac was hired.

13. dylan383

dylan383 Premium Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Texas
    Do you think we’ve made strides with OL with current recruits or commits?

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  14. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Virtual Reality does not.

15. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    WHAT?????
    Well then I suppose this thread has reached its completion. All 9 pages so you can announce what we all already know....... We need to get more 5 stars players like those teams who are winning championships and playing in the CFP. Got it...... thank you Sir for your kind contributions and and further enlightenment of the process.

Can we close the thread now?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    You're all over the place, dude...

You're comparing Mac to Mullen... Then when people say why Mullen is better...

You say, "well, we don't know if he's better than Kirby, Saban, or Orgeron, yet."

I mean... that's not what this thread is about... You said that you kind of wish you can see "what could have been" with Mac... All that should matter as it pertains to this discussion, then, is if Mullen is better than Mac... Right?

Name a single coach in the country that UF could have hired that we know for certain can go toe to toe with Saban and Smart (at least how he's recruited thus far) on the recruiting trail.

• Winner Winner x 2
  17. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    We've made strides as a whole, yes...

On the OL, no... That's just what happens when you lose 4 out of your 5 starters from one year to the next, and you have poor depth (Poor depth is better than no depth and Mac had no depth, but still)...

But

2017 < 2018 < 2019

We've improved each year Mullen has been here... If you can't see that, you need some glasses...

19. dylan383

dylan383 Premium Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Texas
    That is great to hear. So important. Maybe the most important improvement we need positionwise to take on Georgia and LSU.

20. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    No, you're either trolling or playing some extreme sharkopath level of devil's advocate. Sure, we'd also like to see how well Cam Newton would do at UF in 2010, or how well Grossman would have done in 2002 if Gaffney and Caldwell had stuck around. But your whinging and comparison of recruiting have outed you.

If someone brings up substantive reasons why Mullen is better than Mac, you're like, "Gee, I hope so, ain't it cool" ... and then immediately shift to beefing up recruiting and beating georgia. Fine, Mac beat georgia when the East was down, we get it. It doesn't mean anything. Mullen started 2 years after saban in the West and 2 years after smart in the East. He never caught up in the West, but hopefully he'll catch up in the East. Mac wouldn't ever and you know it.

If you want to have us stop denigrating a former coaching staff because we like the new one THEN STOP THROWING LOGS ON THE FIRE. You're making comparisons too, and if the results bother you then maybe you should, um, I don't know ... quietly depart?

Fine, we all wondered about lasers and jetpacks in 2008/9. Mac created and facilitated the lax culture that manifested in 2017. Players working out at local gyms, not being on top of indiscretions (i.e. preventing fraud), rewarding mediocrity in his support staff: he made 2017 possible. It wasn't injury, it wasn't a hurricane, it was very specifically and exclusively his rising to the level of his own ineptitude. He made it happen. It wasn't his "bosses", it was Mac. You could make the claim for Zook in his 3rd year, not for Mac. Muschamp had injuries in his 3rd year, Mac had ineptitude. Meyer lost his defense in his 3rd year, Mac lost his team. Spurrier suffered a third year slump too, but Mac deservedly, deservedly, deservedly did not finish his 3rd season.

• Agree Agree x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.