Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

McElwain

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by dylan383, Dec 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I’ll start with the basic tenet that more talent is obviously better. That being said, not every team needs to recruit at UGA/Bama/OSU level. Clemson hasn’t (though they are this year). To compete for a National Championship you need to have at least a 50% bluechip ratio.

Florida supposedly crossed the threshold this season at 53% but I think we’re just under due to the large number of non-qualifying bluechip recruits and transfers from the last class.

You’ll see that Clemson, Oklahoma, and LSU are sitting at ~60%, a full 20% behind UGA, Bama, and OSU. So, no, you don’t have to recruit at an elite level to compete for national titles. We’re still working our way up to that 60% area though.

Blue-Chip Ratio 2019

2. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    McElwain sucked because he couldn't develop players and he couldn't adjust during a game, both attributes that equate to a loser program.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. dylan383

dylan383 Premium Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Texas
    You are saying that Clemson hasn’t had top classes at all during the past five to eight years?! Impossible. I find that hard to believe. When you see the quality of their players and after in the nfl. I find it hard to believe they didn’t have top ten top five classes on signing days.

4. dylan383

dylan383 Premium Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Texas

Just looked it up. Clemson has had FIVE top ten classes in the last EIGHT years. Looking at the last 16 years of national championship games and their participants. Across 14 different teams to appear in a national championship game during that time, not a single program reached the title game without a five-star player on its roster.

Clemson has been incredible in terms of recruiting. We have not in any way equaled Clemson. Their qb was the top guy of top recruits.

5. dylan383

dylan383 Premium Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Texas
    Clemson has not just had top recruits the past eight years; this year they have a quarter of the five star commits and are set to eclipse Urban’s 2010 record class. Recruiting matters more and more. It is the Jim’s and the Joe’s.

6. willymayshayes

willymayshayes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It's a good thing that your boy McElwain was such an ace recruiter here. What could have been!!!!

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm not sure what that was about. We didn't recruit all that well and worse, not one player under McElwain progressed and 95% of every player he recruited regressed throughout their career at UF.

8. dylan383

dylan383 Premium Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Texas
    Actually McElwain fell flat by the end of his recruiting classes-21st and 12th ranked.

9. dylan383

dylan383 Premium Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Texas
    I agree with this completely. He needed to start landing top ten classes. Also we needed and need a few five star recruits.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  10. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    This is incorrect (unless you are talking about, perhaps, Central Michigan's history alone). South Carolina went 0-11 in 1999 and then went 8-4 the next season. Lou Holtz was at the helm. CMU's turnaround is from 1-11 to 8-5 (potential for 9-5, but even that would be +8 vs. -6 whereas Holtz went from +8/-7).

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

11. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    June Jones (Hawaii) also had a +9/-8 turnaround in the late 90's.

Not even the best turn-around in the MAC:

Miami-OH 2009 1-11, 2010 10-4 (+9/-7)

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

12. dylan383

dylan383 Premium Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Texas
    It was the largest division one turnaround this year, 2019.

13. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    They are doing well. Their QB this class is top of tops.

14. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    Rather unremarkable, in my opinion. They were an 8-win team the year before. Then again, after the crap that McElwain pulled here, it would be hard to give him any accolades for anything, although I didn't mind the anchovies touch to the bbq sauce.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

15. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Butters was lazy. Several recruits and their parents that came to campus for their visits said afterward they would never attend/or return to UF for several reasons. The areas the recruits families were visiting were disgustingly dirty, unorganized, etc...

The following is just one story of many that Mullen has had to completely regain parents, coaches and recruits!

Heres Ethan Whites mom:
    “I went to the one last year when there was the old staff and comparatively speaking last year, I walked out of there thinking that I would never come back to that school again. It was disorganized, it was dirty, the staff was just not friendly. I really felt like—and I’ll be frank—I felt like there was a black cloud over the school. I was just not happy at all. That’s the one thing I said to my son was ‘we are not coming back here again. This is not what I expected. I really feel like you need to take this school off of your list.’ And it’s a complete change. I said this to the new staff, that it really is like night and day, like there’s been a black cloud lifted from the school. It was bright, the staff was friendly, everybody’s smiling and said hello. It’s organized, the place is clean. It’s like a completely different atmosphere.

"It’s a good thing honestly that no parent spoke to me after last year because I would’ve been the first to say there’s no way my son’s going there and you shouldn’t send yours there either. And now I’m like a Gator advocate, like come to UF. I don’t know what they did. I don’t know if the other staff just had a bad aura or, it’s just really night and day.”

Dylan, please stop w the nonsense about coach butters. He was in over his head and a flat out terrible coach. Your posts come across as if youre 19-20 years old. Am i close?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod Moderator VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Umm...
    Let's see....

"Maybe Mullen can handle being the the coach of Florida better".....

You have got to be kidding!!... MacSharkteeth got his record with the Gators simply because every otheer team in the SEC east was totally piss poor at that time...
    Once the playing field started becoming more equal...then the phantom "death threats" came, because he knew that he was exposed...

Oh...By the way....Mullen's name isn't "Mke Leach".... it's Dan Mullen....and he's already proven himself 20 times over...

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. knightgator

knightgator All American

Apr 8, 2007
    Honestly - a couple years ago I got banned for the whole recruiting complaints thing. But now I realize how silly it all is. Kirby has like 3 recruiting championships now but still uga hasn’t won a MNC since 1980.

They looked awful and disorganized and got hurt on every other play tonight vs LSU whereas we looked close and even had the lead in our game vs LSU.

uga had Eason, Fields, and Fromm all on their roster and picked the worst of the 3 to keep and now their backup is “Bennett 4” or some shit. The transfer portal is changing college football for the better - bamas and Ugas can’t horde talent and let it sit on the bench.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    Damn, you still going on about Mac six pages in? Wait, I never checked but is one of his children named Dylan? Are you campaigning for your pops? Look we are in year 2 under mullen and will likely be ranked right at/near top 5 nationally with a top 25 ranked offense when all the dust settles. Mac couldn't get us under 90th ranked offense but I suppose you dont give Mullen any credit for that turn around. We went from 7 years of abysmal offense with our highest ranking like 94th in nation to now we are top 20 offensively. Now that's a turnaround I can get behind not some turn around of records by beating a bunch of 2nd tier directional schools.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    If I may opine, Mac seemed to be the antithesis of little willie. The little one has his hands into everything and as a result no one has any real leeway to go with their flow, especially during the games. Mac on the other hand decided his job was to be the guy in the lead chariot without any idea what was going on behind him.

I say his biggest weakness is he hired "friends" and they let him down BAD. But in the end, if you don't have a clue what is going on in the building you are the captain of a sinking ship.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    He didn't call plays at Florida, Nussmeier did. If that's what he thought his strength was, his mental weakness was not trying to take advantage of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.