Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

McElwain

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by dylan383, Dec 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gator1gear

gator1gear Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Hiram, Ga
    I mean coming in and getting a 4-7 team to buy in, and get it done on the field. Mullen is also a lot better on the PR side of things. Mac just seemed to have an arrogance that he didn't win enough to get away with. I think the recruiting will get lots better. We have a pretty good class coming in, and if the next class holds up, it looks to be even better. Beating Uga on the field would help a lot I think.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. dylan383

dylan383 Premium Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Texas
    I agree with all of this.

• Like Like x 1
  3. GatorToTheEnd

GatorToTheEnd VIP Member

Oct 4, 2014
    Pensacola, Fl
    And then lost to every other ranked team he played from there on including 3 straight beat downs to finish the season.
    He was so dysfunctional as a coach players were going to local gyms to try to get strength training. If he had stayed what could have been would be more losing seasons and the program never recovering. Winning at a podunk school against other patsies Does not translate to being a power 5 coach.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    The longer Kirby goes at Georgia without winning big, the worse his recruiting is going to get... I think that we're already starting to see that...

Granted, he's done excellent... but he's also had Bama caliber talent for 3 years, now... considering the rosters he's had... it has to be a little disappointing....

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Kirby is a lot like Richt. Can’t win the big games. Wins a lot of games, gets to the SEC Championship game, but gets out coached in big title type games. He is the Marv Levy of college football.

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    He does well with other coach's players. Give him a couple of more years before you anoint him even a 2 star coach.

7. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The shiny new toy vibe is still carrying Kirbs. Five years from know we'll look back and see zero discernible difference in Kirbs and Richt.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Mac is exactly where he needs to be. He knows what it takes to be a good head coach. He seems to learn from his mistakes (unlike meat head Chump). But he doesn’t have the drive, discipline, and overall ability to execute at this level. He is a good small program guy.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Bowiegator

Bowiegator Senior

Apr 3, 2007
    Here is the problem you fail to realize. The credit card fiasco and the grier situation is Mac’s fault. Great college coaches have full Absolute Program Control and don’t lose 9 players to credit card fraud, lose starters to PED’s with 48 hour advance notice of PED tests, and they don’t have RA’s call the cops for dope smoking. These things don’t happen to the Meyers and Sabans because they have control of the program and have people on their staff directly in touch with RA’s. Mac failed because of this. He was completely aloof.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. dylan383

dylan383 Premium Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Texas
    What you state aa fact may or may not be right. The difference is clearly coaching ability and recruiting regarding Meyer/Saban/Dabo, etc. . Having a significant number of players get in trouble is never a good thing long term.

11. ArtDeco

ArtDeco GC Hall of Fame

Sep 26, 2011
    Detroit Rock City
    Mac or the OP? I personally think this guy is either a nine year old or a troll, either way we should be rid of this guy, where are the mods? I've never seen so many bacon slices in my life!

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. SuperMOM

SuperMOM All American

Jan 31, 2016
    While I agree 100 % with you, he should still take the Mizzou job when offered. :)

13. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    Someone please flush this t**d and lock this thread.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. 06GATORS08

06GATORS08 All American

Dec 12, 2009
    Nuss found Trask.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Chill, bro...

Perhaps a troll, perhaps not...

Definitely an extremely cold take, though...

Something isn't adding up, here...

OP: "I'd like to see what we would've done with Mac"

Also OP: "I'm not saying Mac would have done better than Mullen or that Mac is better than Mullen."

Everyone: "So you're saying that you would like to see what 'could have been' with a worse coach than the one we have now? And you're a Gator fan? o_O"

16. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    Just stop. You have been exposed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. dylan383

dylan383 Premium Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Texas
    Yes the other person is projecting or hurling personal insults. The two thoughts are in context. I would have liked to see how Mac turned out but I understand at Florida it didn’t and probably would never have worked out given the third year. The final years of any fired coach is often filled nowadays with questions when they are fired after a few years. I don’t think we should build up Mullen by constantly tearing apart Mac. Fine to criticize Mac of course but it always turns into a way to pump up Mullen.

18. dylan383

dylan383 Premium Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Texas
    Wow. Touché

19. Bowiegator

Bowiegator Senior

Apr 3, 2007
    I believe Mac sucks at a big time program because of his lack of control of the program. I gave you 3 examples that great coaches like Mullen don’t let happen. Here is a small example. I would be willing to bet a lot of money we have had multiple players smoke weed in a dorm room over the past 2 years but we have not had 1 RA call the cops on them. I would also be willing to bet we have had multiple players take PED’s over the past 2 years and not one suspension. Great coaches like Mullen have control of the program and have processes and procedures in place to test negative for PED tests. On a side note I hate PED’s. I wish the NCAa would allocate money to doing true and proper IMMEDIATE testing to get rid of them.

20. dylan383

dylan383 Premium Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Texas
    It definitely is an interesting question and I agree that control is important. I think sometimes luck and the balance between the athletes’ ability and gravity of offense is a major factor as well. The athletes are college students and there’s a certain percentage who will get in trouble. Again communication and knowledge of what’s going on in their lives off the field really goes a long way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.