Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Mays vs Mantle HR Derby

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorGrowl, Jun 12, 2021.

1. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Moderator VIP Member GC Staff

Jan 19, 2012
    Paris, TN

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. ozgatorfan

ozgatorfan Senior

Apr 12, 2007
    Edit these guys in versus current players. I would watch that.(programming advice no $charge)

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I remember seeing them when they were new.

Too bad the guys hitting didn't get their regular BP pitchers. The scores would have been much higher.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    2 of my heroes growing up in 50's & 60's. Nothing today comes close.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Throw in Clemente to make my fav trio of the era

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Not a big home run hitter, but one of the best outfield arms I have ever seen.

Yeah, I loved him as a player.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I knew a kid from way back when I was a kid and the idea of collectability was not even thought of that had Clemente's rookie card. I think I traded 20 cards for that one. Roberto was my favorite position player. Most of my baseball heroes were pitchers.

My mom threw it out along with all my other cards. Many shoe boxes full of cards in great shape. I must have had over twenty Mickey Mantle cards from various years.

But the one thing she threw out that I miss the most is a program signed by Sandy Koufax. I was at Comiskey Park before a game about 20 rows behind the first base (visitors) dugout and he just appeared. I think it was one of those midweek Game of the Week games not long after he retired. I ran down and got one of the few autographs he signed before leaving. I felt honored to be in the presence of greatness.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    My Dad used to order cases of baseball cards for me from a wholesale business. I threw the bubble gum away. I had thousands of cards. I sought out some of the rookie cards that came a few years prior to my collection. I would trade 10+ cards for a rookie one like MM. So I ended up w/ many rookie Mickey Mantle, Willie Mays, Henry Aaron, etc cards.

Then the bonanza came in. A friend of my dad, who was older than my dad, had a father that owed a wholesale business. He had collected tobacco cards as a kid in the 1900s-1910s. He gave me boxes of his tobacco cards. I recall they were small, smelled like tobacco. Recall many a HOF card.

Mom threw it all away just after I went to UF.

9. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    OMG.

We all love our moms, but sometimes they did stuff we didn't like.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

When I graduated HS and went off to Chipola to go to college and play basketball and baseball my Mama and Dad moved across town to be closer to their business as they then had an empty nest.

I had a metal toy box growing up that I filled up with my baseball cards. Just like y’all have described, every card, rookie card, all star card of any player that was everyone’s favorite.

The box was 4’x2’x2’. Another card wouldn’t go in it. I left for school in September and didn’t come home until the New Year’s break as basketball was in full swing. My folks moved in that time span. I never saw that box again. Dad always thought the movers saw what was in it and took it…..

11. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    Somehow my mom knew not to throw the cards away. But she did throw away my comic books—some Are now worth hundreds of dollars or more:(

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

My favorite comic book was “Sgt. Rock”….

13. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I had a friend that was big into comic books, but they never appealed to me. In grade school I liked real books. I loved Gulliver's Travels, Animal Farm, and A Brave New World. Just out of grade school I read Catch-22 and a lot of Vonnegut.

And then I read A Clockwork Orange before the Kubrick movie.

OMG that is a great book.

I also read Nietzsche then, but even as a kid I didn't think he had it totally right.

• Like Like x 1
  14. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    Way ahead of me. Swift in grade school, but the “1984-ish lit was college undergrad. HS was English Lit, and Sartre/Camus and a couple of French novels to translate. But did read Clockwork Orange in HS—don’t remember if it was assigned or on my own

15. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    When I got older, I would tell my mom comments like, "hey I bought you a new Rolls Royce that comes with a 24/7 chauffer ...oh wait, I cant...you threw out my baseball cards". To which she always replied, if I saved all of your stuff, so would all the other mothers, so they would be worthless. Touche.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    The saddest thing is the stuff that my mom's mom had from her third husband that ran a bar on the near Southside of Chicago that was very popular with professional athletes. There was an autographed Babe Ruth picture that hung in the bar. My mom thought that I had it, but I didn't. And there was a chest in her attic with lots of cool stuff. Lots of Blackhawks jerseys from the 1930's and 40's. At the end of the season the players would trade them for drinks. Those are worth thousands of dollars now and there were lots of them. I wish that I had one just to wear to a hockey game instead of the current practice of wearing jerseys that were not actual game jerseys to games.

Nobody knows what happened to that chest.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. sandmangator

sandmangator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Mine too... I was a M&M fan along with the rest of the Yankees.
    I played in a golf tourney with Bobby Richardson (n South Carolina) An inspiring man
    Billy Martin played in the group in front with his shorts and spiked cowboy boots

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    This thread got me thinking about my early days playing ball. I always wanted to pitch from a very early age. My dad got tired of me wanting to playing catch so for my sixth birthday I got some sort of screen that I could throw to that would send it back to me. It was a cheap pitch return trainer. I think that this present was more for him than for me. LOL.

As a kid, and an adult, I had great admiration of Koufax but I never modeled my game after him. Not because he was a southpaw and I threw from the right side, but that my natural arm slot was three quarters and not over the top like him. I especially liked him because he was a Yankee killer. I grew up a big White Sox fan and the Yankees killed us most every season back then.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Don't get me wrong, I love those guys. But you don't think Trout will be better than Mantle by the time he retires?

Tough for anyone to beat Mays, by far the greatest center fielder of all time, and probably a top 5 all-time player, especially if you knock guys for PEDs.

20. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Junior was close to the same level.

Shoeless Joe was the Willie Mays of his era. He didn't tank the WS in 1919, but he was one of the eight men out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1